Ping Larry Jaques

Mate. I have to tell yer, The lapse was in using the Pommy version of English instead of Strine.

diggerop

Reply to
diggerop

Aye, I canna. Interestingly, I can /hear/ the words as I read them - but my tongue and palate conspire to prevent proper rendition.

I wonderful bit of learning, that! I hear them as musical, to be heard and enjoyed, but beyond my ability to reproduce. Probably because of my grandmother, I warm to the Scottish burr - and I understand why the Irish write poetry and seem to enjoy hearing themselves speak. :-))

Nor, I think to most Americans. A clerk in a Paris bookstore tried for some 15 minutes to coach a rolled 'R' from me so that I could say "Louvrrrre" properly, then (apparently in total frustration) switched to English and asked that I do the same.

I do a pretty good pirate "Arr!", though. :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 11:28:49 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone scrawled the following:

Interesting. Xbm and Xpm? Nevahoiduvit. I didn't see Martin's TIF in there, and that was just before I started up.

-- You know, in about 40 years, we'll have literally thousands of OLD LADIES running around with TATTOOS, and Rap Music will be the Golden Oldies. Now that's SCARY! --Maxine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 09:48:47 -0600, the infamous "basilisk" scrawled the following:

Yeah, a well-spoken Scottish brogue is great to listen to, if for nothing more than listening to someone who cares about what they're saying and how they say it.

-- You know, in about 40 years, we'll have literally thousands of OLD LADIES running around with TATTOOS, and Rap Music will be the Golden Oldies. Now that's SCARY! --Maxine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 01:37:01 +0800, the infamous "diggerop" scrawled the following:

But of course, _you'd_ think of it that way.

-- You know, in about 40 years, we'll have literally thousands of OLD LADIES running around with TATTOOS, and Rap Music will be the Golden Oldies. Now that's SCARY! --Maxine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

SNIP

My goodness, look at the gremlins pop out of the woodwork! Glad to "see" you, Phully & Larry.

I hear from Jummy once in a while. Guess he's still into the construction, but also very active in a band

Anyhoo, Hi to all. Legs/knees getting worse, so pretty much doing sitdown ww'ing, but I'm trying to work up some turned Christmas ornaments for presents @ our church Christmas party(chinese auction).

Norm

Reply to
Nahmie

Larry -

I was doing web designs on Sun 3 and Sun 4 boxes a long long time ago. Internally before the WorldWideWeb was shortened to WWW and other names.

Mosaic was the first 'Netscape' long before the other browsers and companies.

Tiff was one of the primary formats a number of others - now mostly obscure.

The web for me started in 1987 when I downloaded (via our FTP server) from CERN the install files for Mosaic. Two of us were tasked to get a division up and going. I did practical pages and collected graphics.

I still have and use TIFF / TIF format - my camera generates TIF and JPG at the same time. And Jpg only.

Mart> On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 19:47:25 -0600, the infamous "Martin H. Eastburn"

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

TIFF was invented in the '80s by Aldus as a format for "desktop publishing", aimed at scanner vendors as a standard format. The first version of the TIFF spec was published in a1986, and was binary only. In 1988 rev 5 added support of palette colors and LZW compression

As the market for that was primarily the Macintosh in those days, I find it unlikely that TIFF was being used in any serious way in the early days of the web, and it certainly was not used for what we were doing on the web in 1994 and forward. I'd welcome any citations you can provide that demonstrate TIFF being widely used as a display format in web browsers, well, ever.

See for details on the TIFF specification.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 17:04:50 -0800 (PST), the infamous Nahmie scrawled the following:

Hey, same here, Nahmie. I should say "Hi!" to Noons, too, since I haven't talked to him since coming back.

Well, when he ain't hackin' away at pineywood, he's hackin' away at C&W music, huh? Ain't that sweet? [Hey, Jums! Throw a nice, long, sensual hug and a liplock on Amie for me, will ya? Yowza! Schweet!) (Oops, hope she's not your woman.)] Hmm, there sure are a lot of good looking women singing Country, aren't there? Jums looks to be doing well.

My wrists are starting to get to me, so I may not be doing the larger handyman jobs in the future.

Have you lowered your shop to suit seated wooddorking yet, Nahmie? the nice thing about benches and such is that you can hack 'em off at the knees if you want, or drop 'em and open 'em up so you can roll into them with an electric chair. Oops, I meant "electric wheelchair", didn't I? I've been assembling and delivering Jazzy carts and chairs to the locals for the last year, too, and installing those "Help! I've fallen and can't get up!" Life Alert units, too.

With my shop so crowded with junk, I've done most of my wooddorking outside, on horses and the grass. Not "fine" by any means, but it's mostly construction work, so it's no biggie.

Take care!

-- You know, in about 40 years, we'll have literally thousands of OLD LADIES running around with TATTOOS, and Rap Music will be the Golden Oldies. Now that's SCARY! --Maxine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 20:48:40 -0600, the infamous "Martin H. Eastburn" scrawled the following:

Yes, I used it as my first browser!

Was it used mostly in the medical and/or scientific fields, for x-ray transfers, astronomy, and such? It never made it to the wider public that I know of.

Ayup, you have 7-8 years on me there. I sure like what the Web has turned into since then, don't you? Back then, it was a large step up from the BBSes I hung out on, but look what it can do and provide today. Amazing. I love it!

My Nikon D-40 does RAW and JPG.

-- You know, in about 40 years, we'll have literally thousands of OLD LADIES running around with TATTOOS, and Rap Music will be the Golden Oldies. Now that's SCARY! --Maxine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Actually, my "shop" got moved to BIL's garage in Longview, TX about 4 yrs ago. SWMBO retired, we sold house & live in a 36' 5th wheel RV, spend Summer back near kids in Jamestown, NY and Winter here in TX. Can't really cut equipment down too much because BIL wants to get into more ww'ing, and he will inherit when I'm gone. Had Lap Band surgery in Jan. '08, dumped about 60lb. and when I can get rid of another 70, gonna try for new knees, providing our illustrious leaders new health care plan will allow it. In the meantime, I do some scroll saw stuff, and keep a chair nearby so I can take breaks from standing, although sometimes it's worse to have to get up again than to keep standing!

Again, "Hi" to all. Norm

Reply to
Nahmie

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 09:02:03 -0800 (PST), the infamous Nahmie scrawled the following:

Good luck with that one. Hmm, I seem to recall, heap many moons ago, you had a little accident with your 18-wheeler. Did that contribute to the fun with your knees?

I hear ya. I turned 56 this year. It's hell getting old.

-- You know, in about 40 years, we'll have literally thousands of OLD LADIES running around with TATTOOS, and Rap Music will be the Golden Oldies. Now that's SCARY! --Maxine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Widely ? - likely not. Not many were doing web design when I was starting. One had to be on the inside of very high tech science to have access to the early version of browser. We were writing how to files as there were not any paperbacks or documents to be found.

Our internal network was in swing while the outside was in Bulletin boards.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

We were using FrameMaker big time - they were down the street - cool software. It was growing and we made it a company standard. The pc managers got a copy and both sides of the building were happy.

It was great as I could import HPGL plots from my HP scopes and network analyzer machines and do reports. Not much supported that plot file structure.

Mart> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 20:48:40 -0600, the infamous "Martin H. Eastburn"

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I don't know of any use of TIFF as a standard web graphic format.

Please cite.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Apple was still using Frame at least 2004 for documentation, but TIFF was never a web graphic format, Martin.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

Watson

Tom Watson

Actually, my "shop" got moved to BIL's garage in Longview, TX about 4 yrs ago. SWMBO retired, we sold house & live in a 36' 5th wheel RV, spend Summer back near kids in Jamestown, NY and Winter here in TX. Can't really cut equipment down too much because BIL wants to get into more ww'ing, and he will inherit when I'm gone. Had Lap Band surgery in Jan. '08, dumped about 60lb. and when I can get rid of another 70, gonna try for new knees, providing our illustrious leaders new health care plan will allow it. In the meantime, I do some scroll saw stuff, and keep a chair nearby so I can take breaks from standing, although sometimes it's worse to have to get up again than to keep standing!

Again, "Hi" to all. Norm

Gudday Norm I was just thinking about you the other day . . . whilst moving shop I was clearing all the stuff off one of the walls in the showroom - one of them being a cheque for US$10 that you sent me for some raffle tickets on a piece that I had donated to our Bowling Club. . I never cashed it, but donated $20 to the club in lieu ( I did fill some tickets out for you as well ) Anyway, I had always kept that cheque as a bit of momento and as I took it off the wall the other day I thought of you and wished you well. . .

Hope things are going well with you - and hope now to pay some more attention to the old wreck - great to see some the old mob popping up.. .almost like a humping great big group hug innit. . .?

Cheers mate

Phully

Reply to
philip

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 20:43:51 -0600, the infamous "Martin H. Eastburn" scrawled the following:

Yeah, OK. I didn't get into it until it had gone fully public and personal computers were readily available. You were Inner Sanctum. ;)