Ping Larry Jaques

weirdly yours, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I suspect most of us older wreckers would understand it. Those that didn't would likely get a good laugh out of it at least.

Hell, you could start your own "what is it?" group which is posted here regularly. Only, in your case you say something and we try to figure out what it is. Sounds like fun to me.

Reply to
upscale

Leads me to another question. Do most of you buggers understand the English speaking tourists that visit?

Reply to
upscale

Aw Lassa . . I knew what a jaypeg was . . .I just dont know how to make it pretty on my web site given that I did the thing in Publisher .. but now that you have wound me up I will have a go at changing the images . . somehow .. ! But thanks for the info. Remember I arent very clever like you.

Home and Garden Handy man . .. ? helping ladies . .. ? strewth mate . .. !

Bad bad news about your finger/wrist buggerising up . .

Still havent used that stuff I sent you ?.. crickey! it must have doubled in size by now ..

Will get some pics for you of the tin palace . . and the new Workshop etc . . .

Phully

Reply to
philip

No problem at all. It's almost as if we are bilingual, with a language we understand among ourselves, (almost with the makings of a dialect,) which can prove confusing for others, along with speaking straightforward English. (It really is dying out though and I suspect, some of our unique Aussie character with it.)

Almost like my Scottish and Irish forebears, who spoke who spoke good English but would lapse into a local dialect among family and friends. I can still remember an occasion when I was very young and I'd broken some ornament in my old Scottish grandmother's dining room. I thought I was in for a tongue lashing or worse, but she merely said 'Och laddie, dinnae fash yoursel" which loosley meant "that's all right son, no need to be upset over it."

diggerop

Reply to
diggerop

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 01:17:27 +0800, the infamous "diggerop" scrawled the following:

---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary ====================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 03:03:56 +0800, the infamous "diggerop" scrawled the following:

'Ave a go, Dop. I understood most of that prior to your translations.

---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary ====================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

And what the ?x? - where is Tiff/Tif quality format.

The web started with Tiff and gif and a few more on unix. Tiff holds all of the data - more than the crappy views on some sites.

Problem with new formats - who has an editor - a graphics program for them - oh Microsoft only...

Mart> Aw Lassa . .

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I'll do that .... could be entertaining : )

diggerop

Reply to
diggerop

diggerop wrote,on my timestamp of 12/11/2009 6:03 AM:

LOL! Hey dig: if you get a chance, go watch "Charlie and Boots" at the movies. With Paul Hogan. Worth your while mate, I promise! Cracked me up. Stay all the way: there is an insider's joke in the credits about the Sydney coathanger.

Reply to
Noons

Thanks Noons, saw it a few weeks ago when the missus dragged me along. (No self respecting Aussie bloke will admit to actually *wanting* to go to the movies.) Thoroughly enjoyed it. Hoges' line about how long it takes to paint the the coathanger was hilarious.

diggerop

Reply to
diggerop

Give it a try. Post a half dozen lines of text and then let people try to interpret them. (No hidden Aussies or New Zealanders allowed to answer). I suspect your dialect is laced with the occasional profanity, so we'll allow you to use it. Give it a little time for people to answer (you can choose the time period) and then you can judge which answers come closest. We can call it something like Diggerop's Dictionary.

Reply to
upscale

I had a visitor from Scotland by last Saturday, I think he must have laid the dialect on thick just for my confusion and his amusement, when it came down to business, I noticed most of the incomprehensible bits dissappeared and we communicated just fine. I will say that I enjoyed listening even if I couldn't make out a lot of the references.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 08:58:06 +0900, the infamous "philip" scrawled the following:

Publisher? Condolences, as that was a poorly done, last-century program. Don't tell me, you got it "cheap"?

It's almost back to normal now, 'cept for the pain in using it.

I only wish! But I know, for certain sure, that the larger slabs are dry all the way through now.

Bueno, bwana.

---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary ====================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 19:47:25 -0600, the infamous "Martin H. Eastburn" scrawled the following:

Huh? That's news to me, Martin. It's always been GIF and JPG. TIF wasn't an available format on the Net until, hmmm, when? I didn't get the browser addon until 2006. Alternatiff didn't release until 2003.

TIFF was used exclusively by the graphics gurus because it was a very high-resolution, large-format design. That's absolutely contrary to the Net.

'Course, I'm a newbie, not having started designing websites until

1995 or so. Back then, GIF was pretty much the only game in town.

Got cites for widespread use of TIF on the Net in the last century? (I'm from Missouri, maam. Show me!)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My widowed grandmother brought her four kids to the US from Edinburgh during the depression. She worked in Chicago as a nurse and worked hard to lose all trace of her "burr". After a few years she returned to visit her sister in Ayr for two weeks, during which time she re-acquired her accent fully and maintained it carefully for the next sixty-some years. :)

I have to laugh /with/ her. I was born in Georgia, and when I moved to northern Indiana and started school, the kids made fun of how I "tawk'd" and, according to my mother, it took less than week for me to lose all trace of my drawl.

Fast forward to late fifties - I returned to to the Atlanta area to spend a school Christmas vacation with the folks who'd been next door neighbors when I'd been an ankle-biter. They'd set up blind dates for every evening leading up to a big New Year's dance - for which I was expected to ask one of the young ladies to accompany me (I felt like I'd fallen into a time warp). First date told me I tawkt lahk a damnyankee (lip curled). Second date remarked that I had a trace of yankee accent and asked where I'd picked /that/ up (with an overtone suggesting that perhaps penicillin might help). By the third evening I'd worked the bugs out and everything went smoothly thereafter (I did invite a gorgeous young belle to the dance and had a great time). Just before I returned to school, my "improvement" was recognized with a certificate making me an honorary colonel in the Confederate underground. :)

But for the life of me, I can't speak with a Scottish burr. :-]

Reply to
Morris Dovey

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 08:37:50 +0800, the infamous "diggerop" scrawled the following:

So you were taught English and slouched into Aussie, right? Got it. Over here we have Ebonics, Cajun, Chicano, Yooper, Suthun, Hindish (Hindu English with a strong British accent) and half a dozen more mixes of those.

For the others, who have trouble translating you (or wondering what you Bunyips are) here's a nice Aussie Dictionary site:

---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary ====================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 08:20:57 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com scrawled the following:

Oops, I might have blown that with the link in my last post. So solly.

---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary ====================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The first formats were GIF, Xbm and Xpm.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

So, ye wuid nae say a braw bricht moonlicht nicht, the nicht then?

Kids are amazingly adaptable. We had my father with his trace of Irish accent, and daily use of the Irish way of expression, my Grandmother with her soft Scottish burr, and my mother with her everyday Ausie accent. We had no idea at all that each of them spoke in a different manner. We could understand them, therefore there was no difference to us as kids.

One thing that did click with me in later years was the realisation that I unconciously adopted each of their accents when speaking to them. So that a scottish burr comes naturally to me. Or irish expression.

It happened that the burr stood me in very good stead in learning Bahasa Indonesia. They roll their r's just as the Scots do, something that doesn't come easily to Aussies.

diggerop

Reply to
diggerop