Ping: Bob Schmall: Re: Transit of Venus

As you watched it - did you think about the song, 'There's a little black spot on the sun today...'?

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Here's an excellent shot of the transit:

digital astro group has been loaded with images today. And yeah, Tom--I get woodier (Obww) from a total solar or lunar eclipse, or even an annular solar, than the transit. Will I someday be able to tell my great-grandkids that I was there for the Great Transit of '04? Who cares?

Last night I drug out the 4" refractor and saw all 4 of Jupiter's Galilean moons, 2 as definite circles rather than points of light, along with the shadow of one (Callisto?) on the edge of the planet. And as always I had the feeling that the show was just for me, that no one else on Earth was watching.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

We had a lot of cloud in Montreal but I did manage to catch this one with my pine tubed newt.

Anderson

Wood shavings and mirrors

Reply to
George

Nice shot, George. Why not submit it to Astronomy magazine here in the States or to the Canadian astronomy magazine (the name escapes me)? And a nice drive-by Obww with the pine tube. What size is it? The telescope, I mean.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Hi Bob

I figure APOD and all of the magazines were saturated with transit shots even bofore my films came back from the developer. Just what I have seen posted by APML list members is incredible. The scope is a little 5" f/8 newt with a purchased mirror. The 6" f/5.4 that I ground and polished is going in a cherry tube with a maple bodied focuser and purpleheart alt bearings.

George

Reply to
George