Philisophical Woodworking Question

Sat, Dec 4, 2004, 5:59am snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com (Upscale) says: Somehow, I think tearing ligaments around the groin would be a little more painful,

This guy was in an emergency room all tore up from a car accident, but just lying there as if he didn't hurt at all.

The ER doctor was amazed. He asked the guy, "Aren't you in pain?". And, the guy says, "Yeah, it's the third worst pain I've ever had in my life".

The doctor was amazed, and asked, "What was the second worst pain?". The guy replies, "Well, one day I was out hunting, and had to go. So, I pulled my pants down, and squatted. And, squatted right down on a bear trap".

The doctor was absolutely astounded, and asked, "If that was the second worst pain you ever had, what wat the worst?". And the guy replies, "When I ran out of chain".

JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind.

- Dr Seuss

Reply to
J T

Sat, Dec 4, 2004, 8:17am snipped-for-privacy@primelink1.net (C=A0&=A0S) says: stepping down off a my workmate with my full eight onto a nail.

My oldest son did something like that. Except it was at school, and one nail in each foot. One got infected, one didn't. And, he wound up in the hospital, with the foot being operated on, then in the hospital again, and almost another operation, to take a toe, but then they decided to try an IV antibiotic. Three weeks of that, three times a day, and he finally cured. Came damn close to losing the entire foot tho. The bill was $24-25,000 or more.

JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind.

- Dr Seuss

Reply to
J T

Sat, Dec 4, 2004, 1:49pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Dave=A0Hinz) says: Actually, to be a pedant about it, Christ is a title rather than a family name.

We might as well take it the rest of the way. Apparently there's been discussion that another mistranslation in the Bible has popped up, and instead of a carpenter, Joseph was actually an architect.

JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind.

- Dr Seuss

Reply to
J T

Sun, Dec 5, 2004, 12:29am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mekon) says: I make it a rule never to call ot *any* names. Just in case I get the wrong one!

I, on the other hand, believe in equal opportunity. I try to cover all I can think of at the time.

JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind.

- Dr Seuss

Reply to
J T

been discussion that another mistranslation in the Bible has popped up, and instead of a carpenter, Joseph was actually an architect.

My grandfather was a builder back in the 40's and early 50's. I sell wholesale lumber today to "builders" who are nothing more than contractors and glorified bankers. My grandfather actually designed and built the various structures from the foundation up. I suspect that 2000 years ago, a man making his living with his hands probably was also the architect of the same projects.

Reply to
mel

Girls? You aren't implying girls have a cleaner vocabulary are you? I'm frequently embarrassed by how much my wife cusses, and I don't embarrass easy.

You should have heard her in labor.

Reply to
Silvan

A good alternative to bad language. I screwed up boring the hole through a plane tote I had spent umpty hours carefully shaping to perfection by hand.

Rather than swear, I just got out the can of gas and sacrificed it (the plane tote, not the can of gas) to the woodworking gods. Burn baby burn.

It was somehow satisfying.

Reply to
Silvan

Reply to
George

Unless she was giving birth at the time, you ain't heard nothing.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Sun, Dec 5, 2004, 2:15pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (mel) says: I suspect that 2000 years ago, a man making his living with his hands probably was also the architect of the same projects.

They figure that if Joseph was actually an architect, instead of a carpenter, he is probably the architect who designed, laid out a town near Jereuselum (sp ?), and then oversaw the actual construction of the entire town. Supposedly assisted by his son (stepson?) Jesus. No hands on involved, or so it is thought. Don't know if they'll ever be able to prove that par or not. Interesting to know, if they could. So, possibly, instead of a rather broke carpenter, Joseph may well have been a well-to-do architect.

JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind.

- Dr Seuss

Reply to
J T

Sun, Dec 5, 2004, 5:47pm snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net (Silvan) asks: Girls? You aren't implying girls have a cleaner vocabulary are you?

Hardly. What I was saying was, he was worse at bad language than any girl would be, like if she just poked herself with a pin or something, and then said "oh darn", that's all.

JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind.

- Dr Seuss

Reply to
J T

Sun, Dec 5, 2004, 5:49pm snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net (Silvan) claims: sacrificed it (the plane tote, not the can of gas) to the woodworking gods.

You might have made a sacrifice to the Godlet of Arson, but not the Woodworking Gods. They don't like that type of stuff. For them you send a donation, in care of me, the High Priest of the Woodworking Gods.

How many times do I have to tell you people? You don't do sacrifices to the Woodworking Gods at home. Sheesh.

I wondered who they were bitching about the other day, now I know. By the way, now you know why you're having so much trouble sharpening your lathe tools. LMAO

JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind.

- Dr Seuss

Reply to
J T

Reply to
George

But...the swear words are nearly the same, unless she knew some that I have not yet learned.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Relayed your comment to mom and her comment was something like: "He's probably just another heathen Swede". :-) mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Prime number. Primes are always funnier.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I. Beg. Your. Pardon. Harrumpf. I've got my ancestry traced back rather a long way, and we're _well_ on the right side of the border, thankyouverymuch. Visited an ancestral farm this summer, it's been in the family for rather a long time:

've been invited to the 650th year reunion coming up in 2008. The man living there now is my 17th cousin, but he could pass for my mom's brother; it's spooky how similar they look.

So...what are these uniquely Norwegian swear words, exactly? Anything less mild than, ahem, "Pig's butt"?

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Dave Hinz wrote:

Hey! No fair! What language is that? The machine translation (I assumed norwegian) is about as bad as the original:

"Previous letter in trykkrekkefølgeb.3( nr.293) Next letter in trykkrekkefølge (b.3 nr.295) b.III s.240 abbreviate Three Mænd kundgjöre , that Harald paa Grove and his Housewife Ingeborg sold at Gudbrand Thordssön Öresbol in Tokestad paa Prepare Ringsaker ). fount Efter Orig. p. Perg. in Norwegian Rigsarkiv. Segl fails. lay 294. date 29 June 1358. location Baldeshol. Brevtekst ( at it printed the edition ): Ollum monnum þeim sem þetta bref sea eder h oe yra does not send Pall finish Græfsæimi Lean finish Baldissole fair enough Æiriker baghghe q. g. fair enough sina yder gerom additional kunniktt att finish Peters canteen dagh varom additional finish Bal - these finish Nose finish þridiu are rikiss herald vyrduleghs mister mister Have - the wife meder guds nad Noreghs konoghs sam fair enough h oe yrdum finish att þau heldo simultane saman finish æinni halfuo Haralder finish Grove finish Nose fair enough Jngi - biorgh the wife his fair enough Gudbrander Þorders son meder þi skilorde att fyrnefder Haralder fair enough Jngibiorg væittu þi viderganghu att þau hafdo sælt fyrnefdum Gudbrande iii aura bowl jærder j Tokastadum am liger finish Prepare frialst fair enough hæimolt meder allum lunnyndum am supplemented ligha vttan guard fair enough jnnan fair enough vpp drill match penigh fair enough oe fsta () fair enough alla þar j millum am ( in kaupp þæira arrived fair enough supplemented sanynda here vm settum additional vor jnsigli firir þetta bref am gort stayed are fair enough dæigi sem a chap sæighir."

[Roughly speaking]
Reply to
Morris Dovey

Musta sent your spelll checker around the bend?

"I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh, and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt."

Anonymous

Reply to
Swingman

The Village Blacksmith

Under a spreading chestnut-tree The village smithy stands; The smith, a mighty man is he, With large and sinewy hands; And the muscles of his brawny arms Are strong as iron bands.

His hair is crisp, and black, and long, His face is like the tan; His brow is wet with honest sweat, He earns whate'er he can, And looks the whole world in the face, For he owes not any man.

Week in, week out, from morn till night, You can hear his bellows blow; You can hear him swing his heavy sledge, With measured beat and slow, Like a sexton ringing the village bell, When the evening sun is low.

And children coming home from school Look in at the open door; They love to see the flaming forge, And hear the bellows roar, And catch the burning sparks that fly Like chaff from a threshing-floor.

He goes on Sunday to the church, And sits among his boys; He hears the parson pray and preach, He hears his daughter's voice, Singing in the village choir, And it makes his heart rejoice.

It sounds to him like her mother's voice, Singing in Paradise! He needs must think of her once more, How in the grave she lies; And with his hard, rough hand he wipes A tear out of his eyes.

Toiling,---rejoicing,---sorrowing, Onward through life he goes; Each morning sees some task begin, Each evening sees it close; Something attempted, something done, Has earned a night's repose.

Thanks, thanks to thee, my worthy friend, For the lesson thou hast taught! Thus at the flaming forge of life Our fortunes must be wrought; Thus on its sounding anvil shaped Each burning deed and thought.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882)

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson