Philisophical Woodworking Question

["Curiouser and curiouser..."]

Of the the principals of the belief systems you listed, I think only Jesus was a woodworker. Do you suppose he ever hit his thumb with a hammer? And if so, what would he have said?

Reply to
Morris Dovey

OK, so you need some education _about_ the fine art of swearing.

Or to misquote(probably) someone . . "Darn is for people who (don't?) believe in Heck".(Or something like that).

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in news:20858-41B0B819-56@storefull-

3151.bay.webtv.net:

My sister came up with the phrase "OH! PLATE-BREAKING WORD!" It has been a source of humour in the family for decades. She it, however, a potter and a glass artist, and not a woodworker.

I think we are more creative, on the whole. At least with language.

The fun starts, when the worker has substituted air tools for hand tools, for fastening tasks.

Patriarch, been there. done that. luckily, no scar.

Reply to
patriarch

Why I believe he would have said "Joseph Christ!"

Allyn

Reply to
Allyn Vaughn

Had to have been "Holy shit!!"

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

For me (now that I got my monitor and keyboard cleaned up again), it depends on who is in the shop with me. If my wife is out there supervising, I try to be a little more respectful of her. I usually just grit my teeth and it's an "mmm mmm MMMMM mmmmm" etc. She usually gets the message and leaves before my head explodes from my not being able to properly release. If I'm there by myself, well hell there's no point in making a scene because no one is there to appreciate it. Then I usually use the opportunity to study a little human anatomy and/or increase my supply of locally produced Bloodwood.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

Reply to
Chris Melanson

That gave me the willies!

Dan

Reply to
Dan Cullimore

Better yet, shove a 2 inch long x 3/16 inch sliver into to palm of your hand. Done in such a way that it is pretty much parrallel to the skin. It went into the pad of skin at the base of one finger, out of the skin, back in to the pad of my finger, then out again! First feeling was the pain, then the realization that it had to come out again! I sat down and looked the situation over for a minute, considered cutting it out, but decided that would cause more damage. I took out my Leatherman, grabbed the sliver, and pulled it through the rest of the way in one quick jerk! Of course there was much swearing after the sliver went in, and many times more after pulling it out! nothing better than good pure pain! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

LOL

Da(m)n

Reply to
Dan Cullimore

How?? I just got a framing nailer, and would like to avoid this.

Reply to
mark

Reply to
John DeBoo

Amen.

Reply to
Silvan

I'm the same way. A number of years ago when I broke both legs and as I was sitting in the hospital waiting for a room, a number of nurses came up to me commenting that I was white as a sheet. I had to actually talk a doctor out of trying to run some tests for anaemia. And it was a waste of time cursing or swearing because it would only have amplified the pain I was in, so I just sat there and suffered in silence. What else can you do?

Reply to
Upscale

Argh! More than 30 years ago, I tore the ligaments on both sides of my groin in a motorcycle crash in the woods (came up under the handlebars with my thighs: the bruises were still visible a year later, and I do NOT bruise easily). After all the x-rays, they decided no bones were broken, so it was on to checking to see..."Does this hurt" as he moves one leg with a slighty twist. I had spent something like 2 hours holding as still as possible until they got me out of the woods and to the hospital, because I already knew "this" hurt. When I came back to myself, I saw that almost everyone nearby had their hands over their ears. I don't know what I said to that idiot with an MD, but it was loud and nasty, and he quit manipulating my legs.

Charlie Self "Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy." Edgar Bergen, (Charlie McCarthy)

Reply to
Charlie Self

Last time I did a nasty to myself in the shop (fell against an old board I was going to "reclaim" and drove an 8 penny nail about 2" into my arm) I can remember my exact response. "Oh, my! Darn! Ouch! What bad luck. Gee, whizz." Or something like that. :)

FoggyTown "Cut to shape . . . pound to fit."

Reply to
Mike Girouard

Sounds like another story that changes with time Mike. Sure it wasn't "Oh, Damn! Argh! What Shitty luck. God why me?"

I mean really Mike, the words are almost the same, sure you didn't change them a little? :)

Reply to
Upscale

Somehow, I think tearing ligaments around the groin would be a little more painful, a sharper pain anyway. All I remember about breaking my legs was the month long, seriously painful ache I had that was just below the threshold of screaming my head off.

The one pain that really made me yell was two years later when I broke my left leg again. The swelling was so bad that the doctors were worried that it would constrict certain blood vessels causing the surround tissue to die. The test to determine this was injecting a needle approximately ice pick size into both legs and comparing the pressure of the released blood. Hell, it even hurts to remember that pain.

One thing about woodworking accidents, is that they mostly happen all of a sudden so one doesn't have to force the mind to accept that it's coming, except maybe the painful trip through the hospital emergency. When the doctors tell you to brace yourself that something is going to happen, it's almost painful forcing your mind to realize that it's going to have to accept the pain that is coming.

Reply to
Upscale

BUNKETT (yes mis-spelled)

Reply to
Badger

That would be "Thor", as in "Thor Thumb" his full name, as given to him by a lisping Viking many moons ago, shortly after he invented the hammer. Man had no need for gods until tools were invented.

Reply to
Greg Millen