Pawn Shop Tool Score: Router & ROS

I bought a Woodpecker router table insert for my PC 690 router and built a router table extension for my table saw. I decided to look on-line for a spare base so I wouldn't have to take the base off of the table to use the router by hand.
The bases are readily available on eBay, tool sites, Home Depot, etc. They go for anywhere from $70-$80 once you include shipping and tax. I decided to try my local Craiglist and found a base that just happened to come with a PC690LR router for $60. I called the number and it turned out to be a pawn shop.
I went to the store, and after a little negotiation, I got the router and a Dewalt D26453 Variable Speed ROS for $80, no tax. The router is in better shape than mine and the sander looks barely used.
http://i.imgur.com/CN8IcZL.jpg?1
I could've spent a lot more money at that pawn shop. The tool section takes up about 1/3 of the store. Nice neighborhood too, nothing sketchy. I'll definitely be going back to shop some more.
(I'm going to try an adapt an old miter saw dust bag for use with the ROS. If it doesn't work, eBay has them for $14.)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Nice looking router! Looks better than mine!
--
GW Ross

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 8:27:31 PM UTC-4, G Ross wrote:

Thanks! Interesting thing is that it came with this 5/16" Straight Dovetail Router Bit with 8mm Shank. There was a guide bushing installed and 8mm reducer in the 1/2" collet.
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-leigh-140-8-5-16-straight-dovetail-router-bit-8mm-sh
Somebody was doing something special with it, but they didn't do it for very long. ;-) There was a guide bushing and 8mm reducer in the 1/2" collet.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

It's early in the morning, but I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around a straight dovetail. Sorta like a 180 degree angle.
--
GW Ross

On 8/21/2017 6:11 AM, G Ross wrote:

Leigh Jigs used an 8mm shank straight bit for cutting through dove tails on their jig.
On 8/20/2017 8:07 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

He probably had a Leigh DT jig for sale too. That 8mm bit was a common size for cutting through dove tails in the Leigh, IIRC.

8mm is a common shank for Festool routers, too. Maybe his other router was a Festool. ;-)
On 8/20/17 5:34 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You thoroughly suck.
--

-MIKE-

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 9:24:16 PM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:

Yes...yes I do. ;-)
On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 15:34:53 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Nice find! I've had a PC691 (prefer the 'D' handle) for decades. Great router.

I've never found anything in a pawn shop that was worth having. Most of what I've seen is beat up junk and they're asking nearly what a new one costs (sometimes more). You did good.

You said Pawn Shop. That means used. Those look brand spanking new!
On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 5:34:58 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 10:59:06 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Not true. (The "used" part)
From Wikipedia:
"A pawnbroker is an individual or business (pawnshop or pawn shop) that offers secured loans to people, with items of personal property used as collateral."
While neither of the tools I bought were in fact brand new, there were some brand new, unopened items in the pawn shop. Nothing says that only used items can be pawned.
On 8/20/2017 11:29 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Right. Some stuff is shoplifted and never opened when pawned. Must be a lot of defective chargers too, many of the drills don't have them.
On 8/21/17 7:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Around here, whenever a musician has any instruments stolen, the first place you look is the local pawn shops and used music stores. One particular music shop is notorious for taking in stolen instruments. You would think for as many times the cops have been called to the place to release someone's gear, they'd actually penalize the store or do something about enforcing laws about it.
--

-MIKE-

On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 10:32:22 AM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

Here in Texas, pawn shops are carefully controlled and licensed. But, that only keeps the most obvious fencing of stolen goods activity at bay.
Having had enough tools stolen to equip the Corp of Engineers, I don't even go look for my tools when they are stolen. If they are pawned, they can b e pawned for 10 days, 14 days, 30 days, or indefinitely. So say the pawned items sit in the back of the pawn shop out of sight for a couple of weeks ( or more). Are you going to hit every pawn shop in town looking your tools every day looking for your tools after an undetermined/unknown amount of ti me passes?
Can't do it, no one has that much time. Even if you find your stuff, which I did one time by accident, it is a chore to get it back. You have to pro ve it was yours, prove it was stolen, and then get the police involved. If it gets that far and the police determine an item was stolen then the pawn broker simply gives it back to you. He gets a mark on his record, and isn' t in the State's radar unless he has several incidents a year.
To complicate that, they broke up a ring of thieves that were working out o f Houston (a 3 1/2 hour drive from here) that were literally raiding constr uction sites and trailers during the day, then driving their stolen merchan dise straight to San Antonio to pawn. Since the local cops don't share the information unless requested, the stolen goods simply fly under the radar and are easily pawned, especially if they are pawned the same day.
When I had a buddy that worked at a pawn shop, he told me that they figure about half to 75% of the stuff they have at any given time was probably sto len.
Robert
On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 11:17:02 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

How about spraying all your tools hot pink? No one would steal them and if they did, no one would buy them from a pawn shop. Sorta the Joe Arpaio theft defense.

On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 10:10:36 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

s.

ce

hat only keeps the most obvious fencing of stolen goods activity at bay.

ven go look for my tools when they are stolen. If they are pawned, they ca n be pawned for 10 days, 14 days, 30 days, or indefinitely. So say the pawn ed items sit in the back of the pawn shop out of sight for a couple of week s (or more). Are you going to hit every pawn shop in town looking your too ls every day looking for your tools after an undetermined/unknown amount of time passes?

Tried "Mary Kay" pink, hot pink, gremlin green, and an awful color of purpl e. Doesn't slow anyone down. Your tools look like shit, I hated using the m and they were stolen just the same. Tons of tools out there safety orang e and hot pink. The problem is that no matter how annoying the color is, m ost can be wiped off at with some mineral spirits. Or they take a tiny bit less at the pawn shop. Worse, no matter how unusual the color, it doesn't prove ownership.
We used to put our SS# on our tools. Imagine that now...
Then we put our phone numbers on them, and people ground them off (aluminum housing, less than 5 minutes, plastic a couple with sandpaper) so no one m arks against theft anymore.
We spray some of our tools and mark some of them if we are working on sites with others just so we can keep them separate, but it has little to do wit h theft protection.
<<< I >>> would like to have some kind of device that would cripple or maim the thief. I cannot tell you how completely delighted I was when the poli ce found me after canvassing our neighborhood to find the owners of stolen property. When talking to the police, the way they "caught" the thieves wa s by chasing them down (two on a motorcycle with a couple of pillow cases f ull of stuff) and in the heat of the chase they had a wreck that hospitaliz ed them both, and nearly killed one.
I think the police was a little disturbed when I told him "too bad you guys didn't run over them". But, that time I got my 1/2 sheet sander back. Fu nny, when I told my fellow contractors about the motorcycle wreck and the n ear death of one of them, they all expressed their disappointment (and the bad luck) at the lack of a fatality as well.
Robert

A well hidden GPS device hidden inside the tool, similar to the where is my iPhone app, might be helpful.
On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 21:27:26 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

I was thinking of something a bit more permanent but then again, modern tools sorta look like they were designed by Joe Arpaio. Lime green? Really?

How about your company's tax ID number?

On Tuesday, August 22, 2017 at 7:30:19 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

I know that must be tongue in cheek...
Giving away your tax ID number to anyone and everyone give any hacker, malw are user, lurker, etc., a great place to start to access your company busin ess and its financial accounts.
I know that the group here have only been employees of the highest moral va lues with unquestionable integrity... but...
What if you had an employee or subcontractor that you wrote a check to? He then has your bank, your account number, the routing number, etc. Truthfu lly, you give away your ID# when you issue a W2 or 1099. But after going t o a couple of business online security classes, they have found that direct employees are not as likely to be the culprit of identity theft as someone you don't know. So drinking beer with the guys one night, someone notices your Federal Tax ID# on a drill, and says... "hey... is that Robert's comp any tax ID?"
Let your mind wander. There is a reason you see as little personal/private information available anywhere, only as needed. Giving up my tax ID# is n o different than you putting your SS# on your stuff. A company is an entit y; it has credit, pays taxes, has liabilities and can enter into transactio ns.
Like you, even though your SS# is easily found and known by your employers, banks, governmental benefit institutions, anyone that pays you interest an d on and on... you still don't feel good about putting it on your car as a bumper sticker for everyone to see, right?
I don't tools scattered across a job with that information on them, or stol en to get it.
Oh yeah... the green? It was this color, and I covered the tools with it:
http://wallpapercave.com/wp/ZYOoTF8.jpg
Robert