GE Silicone II failure

I just checked the seal between polycarbonate and wood on a frame, and the GE Silicone II I put on there is peeling off and not keeping out water. Anyone else have this problem with this product? Is there something else you recommend?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Michael

A good answer will require good information. Is the wood painted/primed? Is it siding, OSB, plywood, framing material, etc.?

Is it continuously wet? Is this an interior or exterior application? Is it both?

Did you get your surfaces prepped perfectly clean before sealing?

"My caulk isn't sticking" is too vague.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

You pretty well need a urethane adhesive like is used to install automotive windsheilds.

Reply to
clare

and where is it not sticking, the wood or the polycarbonate?? Silicone doesn't stick to policarbonate very well.Particularly if it is not PERFECTLY clean.

Reply to
clare

the GE Silicone II I put on there is peeling off and not keeping out water . Anyone else have this problem with this product? Is there something else you recommend?

? Is it siding, OSB, plywood, framing material, etc.?

It bubbled off the polycarbonate. I guess that's the part I'm not understan ding. Isn't silicone supposed to stick well to polycarbonate? They were cle an. I'd just pulled the plastic off when I installed last fall.

Thanks.

Q. What type of sealant should be used on sheets? A. Only use a ?100% silicone? sealant on polycarbonate shee ts. Silicone sealants do not degrade in sunlight. They resist mold and mild ew and remain flexible, allowing for building movement. Do not use roofing caulk. Consequences of using incompatible sealant are inadequate adhesion, too rigid of a bond, and/or the product contains chemicals that may discolo r or damage the polycarbonate sheet. Check the product information on the s ealant label BEFORE using to ensure compatibility.

Michael

A friend had a cold windy ride home from somewhere between Thunder Bay and Kitchener Ontario when the replacement window he installed on his Pelican aircraft blew out on route because he cheaped out and siliconed a piece of polycarbonate in place instead of using the recommended urethane adhesive.

Reply to
clare