Pancake vs. Hot Dog?

For breakfast, I'd stick with pancakes, unless I'm in NYC. In that case, a dirty water hot dog works at any time of the day.

But what about compressors? All else being equal - same PSI, tank size, oil less and price - why would I choose one style over the other?

I've read some comparisons on the web, but none of them seem to compare them on a "all else being equal" basis.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I may be wrong but I think the pancake ones can be made thinner, making them lighter. In any case, I like my pancake one better because it's easier to carry with the handle in the middle. My hotdog (never heard that, but I like it) compressor has 2 wheels in the back (too close together=wobbly) and a way too short handle in front. I wish they made the handle extend in some way, because it's very awkward to wheel around with the handle down at your knees.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Not all hot dog style units have wheels. Many, like mine, have a center mounted handle...very easy to carry.

DerbyDad03

a dirty water hot dog

il less and price - why

hem on a "all

I'd guess the hot dog style take up less physical space, volume. While the pancake style takes up more floor space. But the pancake might be more st able and never tip over. Imagine the hot dog ones could tip over since the y have a smaller base on the floor. Couple ideas to judge which is better for you.

Reply to
russellseaton1

Yeah, I think Bostich thought it was a good idea. Fail.

Reply to
-MIKE-

, a dirty water hot dog

oil less and price - why

them on a "all

he pancake style takes up more floor space. But the pancake might be more stable and never tip over. Imagine the hot dog ones could tip over since t hey have a smaller base on the floor. Couple ideas to judge which is bette r for you.

It would take quite an impact to knock over my hot dog model. Hasn't fallen over once in

20+ years.

If they make "all else being equal" in both pancake and hot dog style, ther e must be a reason other than size. Yes, the hot dog style fit in "thinner" spaces, but then w hy make a pancake style? I'm sure there's a valid reason...just haven't found it yet.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It probably just boils down to personal preference and usage. My pancake fits better in my van and is easier to carry around. It also has a much higher max PSI than the hotdog, bit there might be a hotdog with the same rating. I suspect it would be much heavier, however.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Sic. Pancake makes one feel like a novice. Hotdog makes one feel like a pro.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

The smallest shape for a given volume is a sphere. It's also the strongest shape. A pancake is closer to a sphere than a sausage so perhaps it can be made cheaper for the same capacity. Less, thinner, metal. I bought my pancake because it was cheap. It's a PITA to carry around, though.

Reply to
krw

ase, a dirty water hot dog

ze, oil less and price - why

are them on a "all

le the pancake style takes up more floor space. But the pancake might be m ore stable and never tip over. Imagine the hot dog ones could tip over sin ce they have a smaller base on the floor. Couple ideas to judge which is b etter for you.

allen over once in

there must be a reason

hen why make a pancake

The shape of the pancake also had me wondering about carrying it. It seems that the wider the unit, the more of a pain it would be to carry. My hot dog allows my arm to hang almost straight down. Seems like a pancake would bang my leg unless my arm is used in an angled manner. (I'm saying that without ever having lifted on e yet)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Worse, it has no handle. It takes two hands to carry it. :-/

Reply to
krw

Never mind the shape, what colors do they come in? ;~)

All things being equal, the pancakes usually have a low spot on the bottom where the drain is located. The hot dogs tend to be flat on bottom and may not drain unless level and or propped up to drain.

And the all important, which is the most comfortable for you to carry?

Reply to
Leon

That's why they are lighter, too, I guess. There's also something about being able to use a smaller pump motor, from what I've read. Mine is easier to carry and yours is a PITA. I guess it probably comes down to design and construction.

Maybe it's time for both of us to go with cordless shooters. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

I don't use it a lot, though I'll be doing that siding job as soon as it's warmer. I have a larger, upright, compressor in the garage. I have to get it plumbed into the basement and have very little time for such things.

Reply to
krw

I guess we also have to be sure we're talking apples and not oranges. Or bushels and not baskets. :-)

Most pancake tanks are 6 gallons and most hot dogs are 8. I've seen smaller hot dogs in 2 and 4, so it's probably not a good comparison to say a 4 gallon hot dog is easier to carry than a 6 gallon pancake.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I'm sure I'm going to jinx myself, but I've never drained one. I've had the hotdog for for probably more than 15 years and have never drained it. I imagine it's much more important to get the water out if you're spraying, but what other reasons are there? (Yeah, I know I can just google it.)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Water rusts the bottom, weakening it. They've been known to go off like rockets. Drain yours and take a look at the sludge coming out of it. That's the bottom of your tank in the water. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I guess that's a good enough reason!

Reply to
-MIKE-

Technically, we should be talking about Macintosh & Cortland. As I mentioned in my OP, I'm trying to compare "all else being equal" styles.

For example, HF currently has two 3 gallon, 1/3HP, 100 PSI compressors on sale for the same price ~$40. One is a pancake, one is a hot dog. Same brand, same specs AFAICT. Even when they aren't on sale, they are the same price ($57). That's what I mean by *all* things being equal.

Maybe it's just low-end units that are all the same specs. I'll have to check the name brands to see if they carry "all equal" units in both styles. Maybe not...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hopefully that drain spigot won't act like the water shutoff that hasn't been touched in 15 years. You know, the one that won't actually shut the water off completely or that leaks around the stem once reopened.

I hate when that happens.

Reply to
DerbyDad03