Painting Shadowbox Piture Frames

I have 35 shadowbox picture frames to paint inside and out. I will be spraying them with black oil based primer and paint. I would like to batch process this task as much as possible and am looking for ideas. I have thought of using a turntable, but am looking for some type of jig/stand to hold the frames when I am spraying. Any Suggestions?

Thanks - Bob McBreen

Reply to
RWM

Just basically thinking stuff up untested here.

I'm thinking of a lazy suzan type thingie as a base, with a pole sticking out of the middle and an H-shaped thingie on top of the pole. Could be more complicated, or could have more than one pole.

Each H thingie ends with some kind of thing to hold the frame with minimal contact. I'm thinking some kind of rig with sewing pins or similar stuck in the wood in a few places. The frames would just barely be hanging on, but the holes would be easy to hide, so you could do the whole thing in one shot.

Maybe build it to do seven at a time, so you can shoot them, let them dry for an hour, remove them, and shoot another batch, getting it done in five cycles per coat.

Just rough ideas. I can keep thinking if you want, or I can defer to the person sure to follow up who will tell you how you can buy the Spinning Spraymaster 2000 XL from Tool Pusher for only $99.95, and then you'll follow up that you bought three and threw in a couple of Unisaws while you had your wallet out, and life was good.

That's what usually happens anyway.

Reply to
Silvan

Your idea sounds better than what I had come up with. I was thinking of creating a mat of sewing needles on the lazy susan. I thought that I could shoot the inside and outside while the back was on the needles. I could only do one at a time with my idea and would have to do the back at another time.

No "Spraymaster 2000 XL from Tool Pusher for only $99.95" for me. Time to start prototyping...

Reply to
RWM

The thing with my plan is that they would be really easy to knock loose, so you'd want to spin it verrrrry carefully. I'm not sure how I would bridge the gap between the H thingie and whatever I came up with that had pins stuck in it either.

If you get stuck for ideas, I can noodle around some more. I'm pretty good at cobbling stuff like this together out of whatever junk I have laying around. If there's one advantage to the McIntyre-inherited inability to ever throw anything away, it's times like this when there's something to rig up.

(If I could figure out how to get paid to be a professional improvisational engineer, I would never feel a need to retire.)

That's more like it then. I love it when somebody has a spirit of adventure!

I can't afford most of those gizmos from Tool Pusher myself.

Reply to
Silvan