Advice about painting

I have noticed some of the paint on the outside of my window frames is
starting to blister. I remember when the windows were installed they
made a thing using about using microporous paint.
Does this mean I need to use microporous paint again?
If so, can I buy microporous primer, and is this needed?
Could or should I just rub it down a bit and use exterior paint?
Is water-based paint any good for outdoor use these days or should I
be looking for oil-based paint?
Could I use the paint Network Rail used on the Forth Bridge :-)
Reply to
You don't have to but it might be a good idea (less chance of a reaction and provide good / breathable protection).
Probably but no.
No, if you are going to use a non-porous paint you might need to go though the std staged or use a good one coat solution.
Depends if you want breathable or not.
It may well be that they were originally painted with a Sadolin product:
formatting link
If you want it to look like a rail bridge. ;-)
Our front picket fence is painted with white Superdec and has only been painted twice in over 20 years. The last time it was by daughter and she found it very easy to prep for and paint. Being water soluble is also good for cleanup and the environment.
Unlike gloss paint, it goes on very easily and is less fussy re brushstrokes etc.
Cheers, T i m
Reply to
T i m
Everywhere it has blistered you need to get down to bare wood again, then get it dry. Smooth and use a proper exterior primer, then an undercoat, then a couple of topcoats and it'll be alright for a good few years.
If you paint over the top of the blisters they'll just keep getting bigger.
Reply to
Vir Campestris
'microporous' is an irrelevance.
remove anyhting loose with a scraper, rubbing alone won't get it all off. Then sand lightly.
Oil based
Metals want hard paint. Wood wants flexible paint.
Reply to

Site Timeline Threads

HomeOwnersHub website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.