I don't even know what it is called, but I am referring to the large sanders
that look like planners, with conveyer belts and all that.
Well anyhow, several pieces got stuck in and sanded down 1/8" or so; I
finally managed to force it in and it ran okay then. My instructor said it
is because I didn't have the sandpaper down far enough to grab the wood
adequately, but that doesn't make much sense to me; as it should have been
easy to push, and shouldn't have worn down the grove.
So, any ideas what I might be doing wrong so it doesn't happen again?
And, any idea how to reduce the defect? It is too big a board to start
over. An orbital sander hasn't hidden it at all. Taking off enough wood to
actually flatten it will leave the wood too thin; I just want to mask it.
It happened 3 times, but two of them can be on the underside of shelves; the
third can't go away.
Geez, Wade, you scared the stuffins out of all of us with that subject line!
I had visions of you with one arm jammed in the thickness sander all the way
up to the shoulder, as you type frantically with the other hand, hoping
desperately that someone will tell you how to get loose before you get pulled
the rest of the way in and swallowed entirely! Glad to see it was only wood.
Doug Miller (alphageek-at-milmac-dot-com)
Years ago I saw a cartoon showing a fax of a tie coming out of a fax
machine. The captions was "Oh my God; there has been a terrible accident in
out Boston office!".
No, just a few 16x33 pieces of red oak.
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:51:09 GMT, spam firstname.lastname@example.org (Doug Miller)
About 20 years ago I was working in a cabinet shop, and heard a
co-worker yell "Shut it OFF!!"
I turned to see that he was running face frames through a giant twin
drum sander. This was a serious machine, with 10hp motors for each
drum, plus a separate 5hp motor for the feed rollers. The moron had
reached THROUGH the frame to adjust the thickness with the hand wheel,
and the frame had caught him above the elbow, pinching his arm against
the infeed table.
I ran over and got it shut it off before it sheared his arm clean off.
He got away with a bruise, but my heart was racing the rest of the
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.