Painting a Table Saw table?

I know I am probably going to get bashed for asking this, but I live in Oregon and have a lot of moisture problems in my shop. I wax my table saw, but still have trouble with surface rust. I looked at the empire product and will probably try that. Then I got to thinking, why exactly can I not paint the surface of my table saw, with say rust-oleum. If I sand with 600 grit between coats it would be very smooth, and I could wax on top of that, to make sure the wood slides easily. I would never have to worry about rust again. No one does this, so I am guessing there must be a reason why. I just can't think of what it is.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
none today

The edge of the cast iron top on my old (30 yrs) Rockwell/Beaver saw is painted black. A King saw that I saw at a dealer recently had the edge of the cast iron top painted gray. (however it was already chipping off with some rust underneath -needless to say I didn't buy one). As long as you got it really clean and devoid of grease and wax and rust, it should probably work.

Are there any professional paint shops in your area that could powder coat it?

Rob

Reply to
Rob Mitchell

Why not laminate with Formica or something slick. You can glue it on and remove it with heat when you want. max

Reply to
max

This may be ABSOLUTELY ridiculous, but consider having it chromed. I bet it would not be over $100 -- and the whoa! factor would be really high.

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew

Hell yeah! I'm gonna be moving in a few months. Seeing as how I'll have to take the table off the big iron anyway...

-Phil Crow

Reply to
phildcrowNOSPAM

Why not nickel plating?

Reply to
AAvK

Sun, Jan 30, 2005, 9:03pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@charter.net (Matthew) tosses out: This may be ABSOLUTELY ridiculous, but consider having it chromed. I bet it would not be over $100 -- and the whoa! factor would be really high.

Not that many chrome shops around anymore. Anyway, chrome scratches pretty easily. And, I bet it'd cost more than $100.

Might want to look into nickle plating. That can be done at home, very simple, tho I don't know about something as large as that. Maybe parkerized? Ah, Hell, just paint the damn thing, it'd be cheaper, you can do it yourself, and if it gets scratched, you can repair it. And, you can use yellow paint.

JOAT The first method of estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him.

- Niccolo Machiavelli

Reply to
J T

I suggested maybe parkerizing. Then did a quick google. Looks quite doable, at quite reasonable prices. Maybe even as cheap as paint. If you try it, let us know the results.

JOAT The first method of estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him.

- Niccolo Machiavelli

Reply to
J T

This is not so crazy. I lived in Fla for a while, rust is an issue!

I had a friend that owned a body shop, treated the top to a few coats of auto primer, sanded, and put a few coats of silver, (auto paint, lacquer based I believe). 10 years later, still smooth, not so shiny. I wax it a few times a year.

Reply to
Nicky

Personally I wouldn't paint it myself but here's something you might try. I have a table saw in my garage that I don't use often enough to keep the top shiny. I had a small empty cardboard box sitting on the table and when I removed it I noticed that the top under the cardboard was shiny but the rest of the top was kinda getting that darkened look to it. Not yet rust but just a slight discoloration. I cleaned the top up sprayed it down and cut a piece of cardboard the full size of the top. I used a folded up cabinet box so it's actually two layers. I leave the cardboard there until I use the saw. It may be that the cardboard is absorbing the moisture or that the cardboard acts like a vapor barrier or it might just be my imagination but the top is always shiny even after several months.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike

Paint scratches easy. Trick to having things slide is the smoothness factor. Scratched paint will increase friction. With constant polishing and waxing, paint should be okay. Powder coat is actually a type of plastic that is cooked onto whatever you are coating. High friction content. Plus there are no guarantees that you will end up with a level surface after the process. Plus, once you chip it in one spot, it will keep coming up!

With chrome or nickel plating, you will want to specify that you don't want your surface polished. No guarantees that the guy holding your table to the buffer wheel will keep it a flat surface, so specify no polish. Just plate. Low upkeep with chrome. Nickel will require some polishing, occasionally.

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

If you paint it be sure to use the red or gray primer.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Well he could cold blue it. That's even easier. Na. stick with the paint.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Couldn't the glare be a problem ?

Reply to
GregP

Maybe i'm paranoid, but I believe there have been studies showing that nickel plating is a carcinogen.

Reply to
OldMan

On 30 Jan 2005 19:08:56 -0800, the inscrutable snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com spake:

Guys, be SURE to post links to pics of those if and when you do it. I'd love to see 'em.

========================================================= The Titanic. The Hindenburg. +

The Clintons. + Website & Graphic Design =========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 07:24:41 -0500, the inscrutable GregP spake:

It probably wouldn't be much worse than a clean, waxed arn surface.

========================================================= The Titanic. The Hindenburg. +

The Clintons. + Website & Graphic Design =========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have overhead lights in my shop and when I work on shiny stuff on my bench as I move around you get the full reflection of the lights off of the shiny surface. You don¹t' want to be running your hand next to the blade and suddenly get "snow blinded" from a chromed saw top. max

Reply to
max

Mon, Jan 31, 2005, 1:17pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@eastlink.ca (OldMan) says: Maybe i'm paranoid, but I believe there have been studies showing that nickel plating is a carcinogen.

I read one that said charcoal broiled steak was a carcinogen. But, the doctor that did the study said he was still gonna eat it - very minor risk.

JOAT The first method of estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him.

- Niccolo Machiavelli

Reply to
J T

So are barbecued hamburgers. Take reasonable precautions.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass