pad sander is sparking

I have a somewhat old1/2 sheet pad sander. Craftsman "dual action". When I turn it on it makes a grinding sound and looking through the holes in the top of the case I can see sparks lighting up the inside. Does this sound like (1) the last moments of a tool before it ignites or seizes or both and it should be tossed, (2) something that can be remedied by taking the thing apart and cleaning & lubricating it in some way, or (3) symptoms of a bad motor and it is worth replacing? If 2 or 3, hints as to how to proceed would be especially appreciated. TIA. -- Igor

Reply to
igor

Needs new brushes.

Reply to
Mark Hopkins
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Either needs new brushes or it is past that, brushes are cheap but the armature may be as much as the older tool is worth.

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

Thanks. For years I've been hearing about brushes going bad on motors. But, while I have taken apart all sorts of things over the years (and even put some pack together), I have no knowledge about brushes. Anyone recommend a primer on this? Are brushes easy to replace on most consumer stuff? Are brushes generic or do I need a craftsman for a craftsman? How are they referenced -- LxW? Thanks. -- Igor.

Reply to
igor

yep.

sears has had lots of manufacturers for the craftsman tools over the years. there won't be any unifying theme, other than most of the stuff is of mediocre quality. some will have pretty generic brushes, some will have proprietary brushes that haven't been made in 30 years.

Reply to
bridger