OT: What are our schools learning

Whatever "economic freedom" might be.

Again, depending on what "economic freedom" might be.

Impressive. I'm sure that some other country beats the US in outhouses per capita too. Now give us a measure that actually means something.

Reply to
J. Clarke

have chosen a country other than Chile. I'm not saying you're dumb - I'm typing it. :)~

RicodJour

re all kids get the same grades dumbs

Total dollar (rupee?) amount is misleading. % of GDP is probably a bit better, but that is also misleading.

you look where the US falls in that graph, we're right in there with the other 'smart' countries.

"When a country values philosophy over plumbing, neither their philosophy or plumbing will hold water." I forget who said that, but there's a lot of truth to it.

RicodJour

all kids get the same grades dumbs

The problem with our schools today is the parents. If the parents do not create an environment that is conclusive to learning, the child will not see school as important and will not learn.

The governments (federal,state and local) can double the spending for education, but it will change nothing.

The one thing that the government schools have gotten right is that every child has unique abilities and learn rates. HOWEVER it is not the government that needs to monitor each child to see if they are at the knowledge level for their age, it is the PARENTS. They see their child on a one to one basis daily. They should be interacting with the child to assess the depth of his knowledge of the subjects. They are suppose to be learning in school. If they do not, the PARENTS should be the one who are drilling the children to bring them up to the point they should be.

Schools are not day care centers, but centers of learning. Without the very active participation of the parents there is no hope for the American education system.

Reply to
knuttle

sure all kids get the same grades dumbs

No, the problem is that (a) the kids can tell that most teachers are blithering idiots and (b) the schools are run like prisons, you _have_ to be there whether you want to or not.

Until they replace the "them as can, do, them as can't, teach, them as can't teach, administrate" model.

Where did they get that right? "No child left behind" doesn't recognize this, it tries to force them all into the same mold.

The PARENTS aren't the ones who are forcing the kids to go to these worthless schools and waste 12 years of their lives listening to blithering idiots blather.

What is the parent's basis for such assessment? The parents went through the same schools and got the same blithering blather and the ones with any sense forgot most of it as soon as they had passed the test.

Then give the parents the duty of educating their children and provide some incentive for doing so rather than dragging their children kicking and screaming into the clutches of the blithering idiots.

ROF,L. You've never actually attended a public school in the US, have you?

If the parents have to teach the kids then why have the schools?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Couldn't find anything to support that, but we sure look bad compared to other industrialized countries. See:

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Guess we're screwed.

Reply to
CW

I assume you mean "conducive" to learning. Was that an innocent typo on your part, or the result of a public school education that left you thinking "conclusive" was the correct word in that context?

If a parent is the only one with the responsibility for educating a child. you would have a point. That's what happens in home schooling, and as a result home schooled children on average tend to do better on standardized tests than their public schooled counterparts.

But if the parents, as most must, depend on the public school system, the brunt of the problem lies in incompetent teachers, an entrenched administrative bureaucracy, and in powerful teachers' unions that are more about protectin their union members' jobs and salaries than in educating the children. Just about any concerned parent could tell a horror story about having to cope with those problems when their child is assigned to a less than competent, concerned teacher.

education, but it will change nothing.

That at least is true, as can be shown by the lack of correlation between the per-pupil spending in an area and the children's test scores.

Reply to
Just Wondering

Hopefully some will figure a way to continue.

But if your a citizen of the world, you are gonna get screwed.

So grab a beer and some popcorn and watch show.

Cause if you are sitting upon your ass....

Mark

Reply to
Markem

Oh, I thought that you meant that they were "whipping our asses" in some way other than paper measures of "education".

Reply to
J. Clarke

Well, assuming we're still talking about industrialized countries, over

80% of people surveyed in western Europe accept the proofs of evolution compared about 14% who are "sure" in the US. I'd say that's a little more than a "paper measure" of the quality of education. Or would you rather believe that Europeans are inherently more intelligent than us?

Of course, if you're one of the 30% of US residents who declare evolution absolutely false (the other 56% are apparently undecided) don't even bother answering - we have no basis for discussion.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

So how does belief or nonbelief in evolution affect the bottom line?

I don't see what the relevance is to the US "falling behind third world countries". You seem to be focussed on opinions and other such bullshit as measures of success.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Your computer's clock seems to be about a half-hour off-kilter. All your posts are coming through "in the past".

Reply to
Steve Turner

One must ask, when did you last visit or have intimate contact with a school or school system? Your blanket assessment of schools as prisons, worthless, and full of blithering idiots does not match any I know personally, though I will grant there are exceptions... and there is probably a higher percentage of blithering idiots among administration.

Now, I _have_ known some blithering idiots who practiced home schooling, but most of their offspring would have failed finding education in public schools.

No, I don't think parents are, or should be responsible for the item-by-item parts of an education. Parents _must_ provide a "hospitable" atmosphere for their childrens' education; this begins by recognizing the value of education and instilling that same recognition in the student. Parents must support the school's discipline -- by this, I mean not only following the rules of the school AND offering respect to both teachers adn classmates, but the discipline of following course work.

(I'm a fine one to talk here -- there probably wasn't a high school math homework assignment I handed in on time...)

Really, the true measure of education is learning to think through a problem and discover a solution, not to be able to recite the multiplication tables.

"Them as can, do, etc." is generally credited to Mark Twain, who also is credited with "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story." There is a grain of truth in the first saying; it's no absolute, as the second reveals.

If you must throw out an adage, why not, "Watch one, do one, teach one," as a better way the learn?

Reply to
Steve

The bad news gets the press, and there are bad teachers. Those few are hardly indictative of the whole. In general, the tenured teacher is there because of devotion to the task of teaching. I heard a statistic this morning that "most" teachers leave the profession at about four years on the job. The teacher who's been 30 years in the classroom is more likely there because she/he _is_ effective, and rewarded by the success of her/his students' future endeavors.

As a groups, the precentage of "concerned, competent" teachers is likely to be higher than that of "concerned, competent" parents -- at least in terms of the parent's ability as an educator (and not just in school subjects).

Reply to
Steve

There are those who are already attempting to "pull the plug" on public education... much like those who wanted to privatize Social Security benefits by turning us all into stock market investors.

THAT would have worked out pretty well, wouldn't it?

Reply to
Steve

The camouflage is stuck on "London Police Box" too.

Reply to
J. Clarke

When someone offers them a real job.

Or couldn't get a better offer.

On what basis do you make this contention?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Who would those be?

In the long term yes. And it beats the Hell out of the current system where everything that social security takes in gets loaned to the government and spent on the promise that the taxpayers will continue to make the payments on the loan.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Let me think...

Do I want to invest in the markets (which I did) and be able to retire comfortably on the earnings of US and foreign corporations?

or

The much larger amount I and my employer "invested" in SS and Medicare which are returning much less and placing up to $100 trillion of debt on my children, grand-children and great-grand-children?

Not really a tough choice.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn