OT - way off topic

My kitchen counter tops are wood and are the only way this is wood related.

I had made a chocolate pie with wafer crust in a Corningware pie plate (using a wooden counter top as support). A few days later I took it out of the fridge, laid it on the wooden counter (for support) and a large part of the side of the Corningware plate fell off in pieces. These pieces were supported by the wooden counter top. Some of those pieces were extremely sharp. This and other Corningware stuff was bought maybe 30 yrs ago and came with a lifetime guarantee.

Wrote to Corningware explaining the problem. They called me back - we talked and they sent me a replacement pie plate. They also offered a new (stoneware) Casserol set. It came today.

It is sittting on my wooden counter top (for support) as we write this. I know this isn't as woodsy as it should be in this group, but I need to gloat over this and someone needs to hear a positive story about Corningware.

Oh yeah, I'm writing this at my wooden Pc desk that I made.

Pete

Reply to
cselby

Corningware is cheap crap.

HTH

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Cheaper than a lawsuit.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

{snip}

Pete:

I think that is great of Corning Ware. Nicely done.

I don't care what others have posted in reply to your post. You had a problem, and a US Corporation responded to correct YOUR problem; to make YOU satisfied with a gloat on the Internet.

Reminds me of a story from my youth (1950's): Some kid was rumored to have purchased a Hostess brand cup-cake and discovered the "cream" filling was a very small blob instead of the larger blob all kids crave. Kid complains, and local Hostess bakery gives kid month supply of cup-cakes. (The exact amount of free cup-cakes depends on how far down the rumor mill you were. I just don't think a years supply is realistic.)

Next thing to happen, massive number of kids in Detroit area are swarming to buy Hostess cup-cakes after school hoping they too can find a cup-cake with a very small, or non-existent, cream filling. No one ever did find a second ill make Hostess cup-cake. I guess it was only the end of that one production run.

If this happened today, just how many kids would question if the rumor wasn't started by the local bakery themselves just to boost sales.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Again

If you call pyroceram developed for Air Force reentry vehicles cheap crap.

Reply to
J. Clarke

And that is 50% of what this gloat was about. Most other times when I have issues with a US based product (and some Canadian firms), I get the basic "we have your money - f*ck off". These people were actually quite pleasant and as far as I am concerned, they went the extra yard. As for a posible law suit in Canada, that would be small claims court as there was no injuries except for a poke with a sharp shard. In the US, that would be a multi million dollar jury affair and I would get to come to court in a wheelchair and wearing a neck brace.

cselby

Especially here in L/A.

It's too bad, but that'life.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Absolutely.

I couldn't agree more. And while I was reading this I was thinking "cool, a little positive note on this dreary day."

I was surprised how quickly this positive missive went the other way, as in just the second response. No wonder no one wants to post anything too positive around here.

But man alive, had that been a standard "Owens Corning/Home Depot/ Democrats/Lowes/Norm/Sears/Republicans/Chinese manufacturers/oil company" tear filled rage of screaming of injustice, this thread would be in the hundred count already and going strong.

Thanks for posting something positive.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Angela consistently reminds me of her father's motto (a WW2 vet) " I'm not picking this hill to die on."

Reply to
Robatoy