OT - Views on Death (friend died today)

Now, now Renata, where's your nurturing, compassionate nature? I DAGS here - -

has been "posting" to the wreck since May 7, 2004, and has participated in some OT threads. Now perhaps this particular one caused him upset because it hits close to home, but it may also be he's just having an attack of PMS(pi**in', moanin', & screamin'). Once again I'm going to quote part of Davey Eisan's mini-faq for Bill's edification;

This group is a collection of people with a common interest in woodworking (ww'ing), and as such the topics discussed sometimes wander away from strictly ww'ing. Think of this NG as if you were having a number of friends over to your shop to discuss ww'ing, 90% of the discussion will revolve around ww'ing, but you will also discuss other things going on in your life, like your shop dog dying, gloating about the vintage minty fresh Unisaur you just got for $100, just got a new job, etc. That is what we do in this NG.

Bill, this is who we are and what we are. Look @ the subject line & move on if you don't like OT. That's what the rest of us do. We like ww'ing and talk about it, but we also care about each other, like a big "extended family". If you can't understand this and live with it, or just want to hang around and "stir the bucket" then do as Dave Balderstone suggested, and go back where you're happy.

OBWW - got the riser kit on my G0555, haven't cut anything yet, as I've been busy with other things, and need to call Griz tech support. The 105" blade is very tight to try and get it on the wheels, so I'm thinking there's something in the tension adjustment I don't understand.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

The word's "Asshole", and the old saying is about a "fool". Some come here to look for intelligent conversation about woodworking, and don't want to have to need to filter out rubbish about anything and everything else because you think they should.

Take your OT brainless babbling somewhere else, fool, and make room for other possible contributors with more to offer. Or, get the title of this newsgroup changed to suit your own agenda. Then real woodworkers can start another, and leave you to it. The problem is you'd likely show your wit there as well.

You talk about "insensitive" as if you know something about cancer. I've been dealing with it for over 5 years, and have already lost friends and relatives. You know shit about it until you have it. You're the insensitive asshole here. If the OP has real problems dealing with it, he should visit his relatives, doctor or priest, not whine here.

There's another old saying about arguing with a fool, so I'm done.

Bill.

Reply to
Bill Rogers

Wow! I thought I was the ony one that remember those stupid 96-column cards on those old System 3's. I almost was getting the hang of reading stupid little round holes when a new fangled CARDLESS Data Genera was rolled in.

Actually, I miss those days. I remember when the card reader on our S/3 was screwed and the IBM CE was in ti fix it. It was hot and he had his long-sleeved white shirt unbuttoned at the cuff and roled up. Things weren't going well and he was cursing and starting to press buttons and such very hard and very fast. His sleeve unrolled and got caught in the belts that pulled the cards through and ripped the entire sleeve and half the shirt right off of him.

Had to be one of the scariest and funniest thing I ever saw!

Reply to
Ray Kinzler

So, what do you think the name should be changed to?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Well at least there's some good news in all this. Bye, then.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

You know Bill, most everyone here on the wRECk is pretty polite, and Renata wrote a$$hole on purpose, just like we write s**t, or other things to get the meaning across without being foulmouthed. Renata also knows she was paraphrasing another saying, just as you, me, and probably 90% of the other people on the wRECk do.

Good Luck! Don't tell me you're going to start up the old, endless, "split the wRECk" argument again!

Bill, you better step back and take another look! (1) YOU were the only one who brought cancer into the conversation. (2) No one claimed to know any thing about it, and no one was being insensitive to your problem with cancer. I for one, and I'm sure many others, wish you well and the best of luck with it. Many of us have lost friends & relatives to it, and no, we don't have it, but we've seen it pretty up close & personal, so we're not insensitive about it. (3) The wRECk has lost several old & valued members over the years, men who suffered & succumbed to cancer, and were mourned by those who knew them, even if we only knew them through the wRECk. (4) The OP was NOT whining! He wrote a moving tribute to a good friend & neighbor, only lamenting that he died too young, of a HEART ATTACK! (5) YOU decided you had to come in here and try to play "net-cop". Perhaps you've gotten the idea now that this particular thread was not the best one to start raising cain about OT.

Now, if anyone thinks I'M way off base here, fire away, I've got the Nomex on. I don't often get this "loud", but I just feel Bill chose the wrong time & place to start all the shootin' & shoutin'.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Before you call tech support, check the coplanar and take a good look at the two dowel pins and holes. One of the dowel hole maybe oversize and your riser block could rotate and thereby causing your lower wheel to be out of alignment. It's almost impossible to align both wheels as I experienced.

Reply to
WD

That's not the problem. Co-planar appears OK, and the blade is tracking OK. The problem was that with the tension released I still had a hard time getting the blade ON the wheels, almost like it needs a 106" or 107" blade. Feels like the top wheel is bottomed out in the frame with the tension released, but I'm gonna see if tech support can tell me something I missed.

Thanks anyway. My dowel holes were so tight I had to hammer the block on the bottom(wood block & hammer), then use the bolt to pull the top down & seat it on them, while persuading it with a rubber mallet.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Apologies Nahmie. I have been in the business since the early 60s and know about the round holes and the big computer company whose name is a three letter acronym, the first of which is a Roman numeral. I was and am being a smartass. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Yep. This would have been in '65 or '66. I guess a whole new plane would have been too expensive.

BTW, the disk heads on a 7094 didn't automatically retract when power failed. I was warned when I hired on to stay out of the dark hall if the power failed, because the resident CE would be charging down it to manually crank out the disc heads :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Back in the days of "tabulating machines" ('56 or '57) I saw a CE get his tie caught in a card sorter. Wrapped it till his chin was resting on the top before it started slipping. We cut the tie off his neck. He'd flown for the Flying Tigers in WWII and said this scared him just about as bad :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I've seen core memory and the TINY little donuts on it, is this what we're talking about? PDP/8 era is all I've seen.

Heh. Dozen years or so ago or so, I was the same person charging down the dark hallway during an outage, so I could switch off the now-crashed systems in my lab, so I could bring 'em up in something resembling the right order. That damn UPS caused more outages than if we hadn't had it. This was all modern stuff, though, sadly enough.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

We still had a shop full of them in 73 in Guantanamo, supposedly the last one in the Navy. Ran paper reports but the civil service supply types preferred the card decks. Lots of fun when they added 2 digits to stock numbers and we had to generate 50,000+ new cards. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

I give up! IMHO - - Bill Rogers = TROLL, so I'm gonna stop feeding him.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Uh-huh. First locate the right core and mark it. Then unstring the vertical, horizontal, and diagonal wires, thus freeing up a bunch of good cores. Toss the bad one, add a new one, and restring the whole #@$! mess :-).

IIRC, it took him about half a day sitting on a newspaper- covered computer room floor in white shirt and tie, sleeves rolled up and hands covered in oil :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Ouch. I understand the H&V wires, but what is the diagonal one for?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Sensing the status of the bit.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

You know, about 30 seconds after I posted the question, I realized that had to be it. Thanks, though, it's beautiful stuff to look at - but I'd hate to hand-anything with it.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Although I have no experience with Grizzly I've heard mostly good things about them.

In previous postings I've seen speculation that although Tiwanese Bandsaws (and other tools) appear to be similar there may be differences in tolerances and specs - justifying different prices. I wonder if these problems (riser block fit & blade sizing) could be an indication of possible tolerance differences?

I recently installed a Jet riser block (had considered the Grizzly 1055 as well as the Jet bandsaw) and had no problem with either block instatlation or fitting a 105" blade. Also have 2 friends with Deltas and no problem there either

Ken

Reply to
Ken Johnsen

My last manager at IBM was the engineer who figured out how to automate weaving a core memory. Before that, core planes had been hand-wired. Whether by hand or by machine, I always thought of core weaving as requiring a certain amount of magic. (-:

Reply to
Morris Dovey