Refinishing a secretary

The missus and I have a secretary (I think that's correct...it has a drop-front) that was at her parents and was in somewhat of a distressed shape. At some earlier date, her younger brother had carved his name into the outside of the drop-front. It's no heirloom, so last night (I've been planning this for about 10 years), I got out the ROS and sanded out the carving. I took out all the carvings and an now down to a bare veneer (which I would guess is 3/32 thick). I haven't a clue as to what the veneer material is or the finish that was on it or the rest of the piece. I put a coat of gel varnish on it last night to get an idea of how it would look. As I expected, it's considerably lighter than the rest of the piece, which has been finely aged. Would adding some color to the varnish help? If so how would you add it? I have some dark Transtint available. Any other suggestions on the process are welcome.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

Wed, Jul 14, 2004, 2:08pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@NOcomcastSPAM.net (Todd=A0Fatheree) cliams: The missus and I have a secretary (I think that's correct...it has a drop-front) that was at her parents and was in somewhat of a distressed shape. At some earlier date, her younger brother had carved his name into the outside of the drop-front.

Got to say, I think your secretary should quit. LMAO

JOAT

We've got a lot of experience of not having any experience.

- Nanny Ogg

Reply to
J T

ive seen my friend mix tobacco with clear coat, let it sit for a while, stirring occasionally, then strain it out before applying it. it seems to do a very good job of recreating that darkened aged look. he uses it on patches on guitars where that patina is part of the value and claims its the best thing he's found to do this.

dont know if this helps or how it would work with the gel stuff...

randy

Reply to
xrongor

LOL, i knew someone couldn't resist.

Just file down her nails and touch up with some hairspray.

P.S. >> and don't mention it to the wife.

Reply to
Kazoo

I knew a guy that had a secretary with a drop front. Ended up in a messy divorce. lost the house etc.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski