OT: Took a break from WW - Now starting kitchen

Hello boys, I'm back.

I took a break from sawdust for a while. Went on vacation in Hawaii, visited friends and family and did some amazing diving. While on Kauai, I saw some wood the locals called.... I can't remember the Hawaiian name but I think it was an Ironwood. Man was it heavy. It was so dense it had negative buoyancy and was used for fishing and for anchors.

Some of the local wood workers there are quite talented. It was sad to see that most of the wood carvings sold in the tourists trap were not made locally but in China! In addition, I going to try my hand at carving. My lovely bride wants a turtle.

It's now time to start the remolding the kitchen in my son's home. Nothing to fancy, but it will be his first major wood project. I am only there to instruct and give guidance.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

| I going to try my | hand at carving. My lovely bride wants a turtle.

Welcome back!

(It's turtles all the way up...)

Morris Dovey

Sure ... let us know how long that lasts. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Welcome back, Dave.

That could be the title of a book. That made me smile.

Yupp, uhuh. Instruct, saw, guide(bushings) hammer, scrape, instruct, nail, stain, guide. My daughter's house is going to have a built-in entertainment centre, but she can't find anything that matches a coffee table and some end-tables she already has..(I made them) " Oh, and Daaaad... when did your friend Jane get her kitchen?" (I made it)

Instruct and guide indeed. If you haven't instructed and guided a child of your own before...it is very rewarding. Good luck with that.

Robatoy

Welcome back! Glad you had a fun trip.

Wow - carving strikes me as a completely different 'animal' than furniture-construction-type woodworking. Instead of putting pieces together to make something, you're taking stuff away to get what you want - or "removing everything that isn't David". Seems to me to require a lot more artistic talent or 'right brain' than furniture-making. All that to say, I admire you for trying! I'll stick to putting things together for now. Good luck and have fun, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Reply to
Leon

"Teamcasa" wrote

I am having a strong visual of you leaning back in a recliner, sipping beer, while you "instruct and give guidance".

Is that how it is going to happen? LOL

Reply to
Lee Michaels