OT Temperature

Strange weather we are having in the Houston area.

Visited with Swingman and his wife on Saturday and his shaded street just before 6pm showed 108 on the car thermometer. I cannot remember ever seeing it that hot in Houston.

It is normal for the wake up radio to indicate 80 degrees at sun up in the Houston area during the summer.

For the Houston area May was still very cool, June was unusually hot, more like August.

This morning we continue to get the north wind that we had yesterday and which is predicted for the next several days.

In my neighborhood near Cinco Ranch, about 22 miles due west of Swingman we have now probably set a record low of 66 degrees for the first day of July. We are lucky to see lows in the 60's in September. For the rest of the week our forecast lows are about 15 degrees below normal.

Reply to
Leon

Glue "open time" in the shop has been halved the past few days ... down to way less than five minutes with Titebond II.

Reply to
Swingman

At least it's a wet heat...

Reply to
jo4hn

Us Northwesterners are wimps compared to you guys. Last summer we had so little sun, that blackberries were almost nonexistent. This year will be a bumper crop. 91 yesterday, 93 today, well beyond us wimps comfort zone. At least it cools off at night with a little breeze. Quite pleasant to walk in after the sun goes down.

5 minute glue up time??

This means you are either going to build smaller, simpler projects or move twice as fast!! LOL

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Swingman wrote in news: _v2dneOTPqjoG0zMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Makes me glad for my basement shop, where the temperature is a nice, consistent 68 degrees F all year long...

Reply to
Doug Miller

We were 109 on Thursday but yesterday's high was only 79 or thereabouts...normal this time of year is low-mid 90s so it's balmy, for sure!

Saying this will hold roughly thru most of the week--unfortunately, it also means zero chance for any precip and that we're desperately in need of--only 3" or a shade over so far this year, total, added to last two years of drought as well. 1" about three weeks ago, only 0.15" in April and May each...and now it's nearing the dry season of late July/August/September.

Reply to
dpb

I believe that means you are being parboiled instead of baked.

I am about twenty miles east of Raleigh, North Carolina

Temperature this summer has not been a problem as it was in June before we had our first 90 degree day, usually this occurs in May or April.

However with the low temperature come another problem. So far this year we have had about 26" of rain. 0ver 10" in June, over 2" last night.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

We're a long ways north of you in eastern WA and it's supposed to get to

102 today and 104 tomorrow. We had to turn on the A/C at 9AM - yesterday we didn't need it till 6PM.

But Seattle is only supposed to get to 85 or so and they are under an excessive heat warning - bunch of wimps!

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

3 people died in the rivers here here in the Portland OR metro area yesterday doing just that. It was 97 and will be for the next few days. It still beats the hell out of Phx & Tucson where I used to live. Art
Reply to
Artemus

it was only 120 here in phx over the weekend, far below the highest ever temp of 122 and almost balmy.

Reply to
chaniarts

Why'd they die? Was the river running hard?

I used to love jumping in the creek after mountain biking. I had to get a watch that wouldn't blow the seals.. finally got a real divers watch... my body heat then the cold water would make those crappy retail

100m watches gulp water...

I'm with you on creeks, but now have a pool, and don't ride much anymore.

Reply to
woodchucker

Currents and water temps in the 40's according to the tv news. Art

Reply to
Artemus

LOL. Wish it were always a dry heat, at least your sweat would evaporate. Actually we had a very dry west wind on Saturday. Today was like Fall.

Reply to
Leon

Typically we don't get terribly hot as most of the time we get a south wind off of the gulf. Not unusual to only see low 100's briefly a time or two during August.

Reply to
Leon

It's been decent in Al so far, highs in the high 80's low 90's, unfortunately humidity hovering around 90 also. Just now got hot enough for the okra to grow.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Hi yesterday, 89

Lo this morning 64, feels like fall. Very low humidity and the 3rd straight day with a north wind.

Reply to
Leon

OK, confirmed! This mornings low is 4 degrees lower than the record low set in 1985.

And yes, Saturdays heat wave did set a record high.

Reply to
Leon

Here in Washington the nanny state they aren't taught to think for themselves anymore. If the state didn't warn them they aren't responsible for being to stupid to live.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

I have lived in Indianapolis and in Raleigh, It seemed like every day there was some kind of warning. Heat, flood, storm, etc.

In fact they were so frequent, you stopped paying attention to them. "Oh there is a warning today. Another day another warning."

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

On 7/2/2013 9:19 AM, Leon wrote: ...

State Lows: Colby 46°F Goodland 48°F Great Bend 51°F Hill City 51°F Hays 51°F

We didn't quite make the list; was 52F here this morning...

As you, we're under that central low that's keeping the really hot stuff on the west coast at the moment, just a few hundred miles north. The

109F on Thursday wasn't close to a record high, though...those are on the weather station here at the house; there isn't an official NWS station here. The airport recorded 107+ and their recorded record for the day is 109F. I'm not sure how far the online history goes back, though, probably not terribly far....yeah, looks like only back to 1939 so that doesn't have the great heat wave of the 1860s in it when Manhattan (KS) recorded over 120F. Weren't any recording stations out here then; town wasn't founded until 1888 when Rock Island ended here waiting for them to open up OK to finish line across the panhandle to meet up on other side to El Paso...
Reply to
dpb