Leon, Swingman, et al - We're praying for you

For all you folks in the path of Harvey...

I just said a prayer for you. Good luck!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

+1

TWC quizzed a spokesman at the National Hurricane Center about an hour ago, said that rainfall totals of 30-35 inches by the time Harvey finally exits TX, next Wednesday.

Spalted Walt

I hope you guys survive unscathed. My BIL and SIL are headed down there, her Dad passed away. I'm wondering if they will really bury him with the conditions expected.

I hope everyone in the path is spared as much as possible.

Reply to
woodchucker

Be safe, y'all.

Larry

Reply to
Gramps' shop

Thank you! Swingman is in Arkansas for the summer. ;~(

Nailshooter, in San Antonio, is concerned and my wife and I are in the NE area of Texas. We will have to watch out for the 25+inches of rain over the next few days.

Thank you again!

Reply to
Leon

Depending on where the burial site is located, they probably will not be doing any burials until the ground is less saturated.

Reply to
Leon

FWIW Houston got 35" of rain in a "single weekend" in June of 2005. Much more than that during a two week period during TS Allison. IIRC Swingman had about 4 feet of water in his home. His current home is about that high above grade. One of the many major freeways in Houston, SW Freeway 59, has a low area for several miles inside the inner 610 loop. That area of the freeway was under water for more than a week. We are taking 16 feet deep, 8 lanes wide for a few miles.

Reply to
Leon

Leon

That isn't unusual. In Vermont, there are no burials between Decemberish and Marchish. Blasting graves is cost prohibitive.

Reply to
krw

Cremation warms the heart...among other things.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Just think about all of the CO2 released!

Reply to
krw

Have any evidence for that? Most cemeteries use a backhoe to dig them and I haven't met one yet that can't dig through frozen dirt in the winter.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Just one of many Google hits...

DerbyDad03

Interesting. Seems like they just don't want to put the work in. I grew up on Lake Erie with a 4 foot frost line and it never stopped us from digging footings.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I don't know that you could attribute an ~80% delayed burial rate across 4 states to laziness. Are funeral directors born with a lazy gene? ;-)

Without more details it's hard to know. BTW that article is 20 years old, maybe things have changed. There are other articles out there, maybe they contain more detail.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

A friend was a grave digger.

Reply to
krw

You don't have 10' lots, either.

Reply to
krw

I bet he had some good jokes. Gotta keep a good sense of humor in that line of work.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Perhaps the 3.5' 'Green Burails' will help negate the CO2. :-/

(the bill passed in July)

Wouldn't a wet November shallow burial result in a spring-thaw meal for bears and other critters, due to frozen ground heaving?

Reply to
Spalted Walt

When I was growing up, a neighbor was a mortician. The dead jokes flew all the time. He hated them (had heard 'em all).

Reply to
krw