Leon, Swingman, et al - We're praying for you

For all you folks in the path of Harvey...
I just said a prayer for you. Good luck!
Add pictures here
✖

+1
TWC quizzed a spokesman at the National Hurricane Center about an hour ago, said that rainfall totals of 30-35 inches by the time Harvey finally exits TX, next Wednesday.
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/09L/imagery/avn-animated.gif
Add pictures here
✖
On 8/24/2017 4:32 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:

FWIW Houston got 35" of rain in a "single weekend" in June of 2005. Much more than that during a two week period during TS Allison. IIRC Swingman had about 4 feet of water in his home. His current home is about that high above grade. One of the many major freeways in Houston, SW Freeway 59, has a low area for several miles inside the inner 610 loop. That area of the freeway was under water for more than a week. We are taking 16 feet deep, 8 lanes wide for a few miles.
Add pictures here
✖
On 8/25/2017 4:10 PM, Leon wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?q=highway+59+flooding+allison&rlz 1CHUE_enUS575US575&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved hUKEwjmudr9pfPVAhXhh1QKHbsAAmwQ_AUIDCgD&biw06&bih”2#imgrc=3Q7bYi-xehFSzM:
Add pictures here
✖
On 8/24/2017 3:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I hope you guys survive unscathed. My BIL and SIL are headed down there, her Dad passed away. I'm wondering if they will really bury him with the conditions expected.
I hope everyone in the path is spared as much as possible.
--
Jeff

Add pictures here
✖
Be safe, y'all.
Larry
Add pictures here
✖
On 8/24/2017 5:29 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Depending on where the burial site is located, they probably will not be doing any burials until the ground is less saturated.
Add pictures here
✖

That isn't unusual. In Vermont, there are no burials between Decemberish and Marchish. Blasting graves is cost prohibitive.
Add pictures here
✖
On Friday, August 25, 2017 at 10:59:43 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

Cremation warms the heart...among other things.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 20:06:44 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Just think about all of the CO2 released!
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

Perhaps the 3.5' 'Green Burails' will help negate the CO2. :-/ http://www.mychamplainvalley.com/news/35-ft-under-vt-bill-clears-the-way-for-green-burials/639960044
(the bill passed in July) http://www.mynbc5.com/article/new-vermont-law-helps-those-asking-for-a-green-burial/10371045
Wouldn't a wet November shallow burial result in a spring-thaw meal for bears and other critters, due to frozen ground heaving?
Add pictures here
✖
On 8/25/17 9:59 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

Have any evidence for that? Most cemeteries use a backhoe to dig them and I haven't met one yet that can't dig through frozen dirt in the winter.
--

-MIKE-

✖
On Friday, August 25, 2017 at 11:42:29 PM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:

Just one of many Google hits...
http://articles.latimes.com/1994-05-01/news/mn-52603_1_funeral-director
Add pictures here
✖
On 8/25/17 10:47 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Interesting. Seems like they just don't want to put the work in. I grew up on Lake Erie with a 4 foot frost line and it never stopped us from digging footings.
--

-MIKE-

✖
On Saturday, August 26, 2017 at 1:17:05 AM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:

I don't know that you could attribute an ~80% delayed burial rate across 4 states to laziness. Are funeral directors born with a lazy gene? ;-)
Without more details it's hard to know. BTW that article is 20 years old, maybe things have changed. There are other articles out there, maybe they contain more detail.
Add pictures here
✖

You don't have 10' lots, either.
Add pictures here
✖
On 8/26/2017 12:17 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Dead people are no longer paying customers.... ;~)
Add pictures here
✖

If that's true, how do morticians make their living? ;-)
Add pictures here
✖
On Saturday, August 26, 2017 at 6:39:28 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

.

that

or

It's a dying business.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 26 Aug 2017 16:13:40 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

They're starving to death?
Add pictures here
✖