OT: Spell properly

In the world of hi-tech gadgetry, I've noticed that more and more people who send text messages and emails have forgotten the art of capitalization. For those of you who fall into this category, please take note of the following statement.

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Is everybody clear on that now?

Reply to
George W Frost

Dontyajusthateitwhenpeopledonotusecapitalsorpunctuation?

---------

In the world of hi-tech gadgetry, I've noticed that more and more people who send text messages and emails have forgotten the art of capitalization. For those of you who fall into this category, please take note of the following statement.

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Is everybody clear on that now?

Reply to
Josepi

Another Net-Nanny is always welcome! Please feel free to correct everything that irritates you! All the time! Everywhere!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Hey I thought that was the coma rule.

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle, Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Reply to
Leon

He makes a very good point, and with humor. (you may have missed the humor part) I passed it on to a few others.

Perhaps you don't see it, but I run into a lot of rather poor correspondence. Many people growing up in the "texting age" are incapable of writing more than a single sentence with proper punctuation and structure. While not all that important in a newsgroup, it can be very important in business correspondence if you want to be taken seriously.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No kidding! In Houston as well as other places I suppose the typed acronym is being spoken. OMG! IDKNT over heard in one of my wife's girly stores while I was tagging along.

Reply to
Leon

Your uncle is in a coma?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Maybe the horse wasn't in the mood.

Reply to
J. Clarke

You've still isolated the jack off from your uncle. Wouldn't it be:

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack, off a horse and helping your uncle, jack off a horse."

Reply to
krw

You flunked punctuation, too.

*IF* you're goint to put the coma (sic) in, it would be: "Capitalization is the difference between 'helping your Uncle, Jack, off a horse' and 'helping your uncle jack off a horse.' "
Reply to
Robert Bonomi

All of you, stop embarrassing yourselves. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yeah! LOL

Reply to
Leon

I wanted both to sound vulgar.

Reply to
Leon

"But" I am not "goint" to do it that way. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

^ I see you flunked spell-checker, too. ;-)

I disagree. "Uncle" in this sentence is a title modifying "Jack" (which is also why it's capitalized) and belongs with it. You wouldn't say "... Dr., Jack, ...".

Although helping Jack, "off" a horse, isn't very nice, even if he is your uncle.

Reply to
krw

Some of ya'll have strange hobbies! ; )

Reply to
Bill

You're talking to Muricans here. They don't even speak good English, never mind write it.

Max (speaks Texan)

Reply to
Max

The overuse of commas can be a sin as well.

Max

Reply to
Max

Eye halve a spelling chequer It came with my pea sea It plainly marques four my revue Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word And weight four it two say Weather eye am wrong oar write It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid It nose bee fore two long And eye can put the error rite Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it I am shore your pleased two no Its letter perfect awl the weigh My chequer tolled me sew.

Reply to
BobF

Wtih the phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Amzanig huh?

yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

Reply to
BobF