OT Sorta Maybe, maybe not

I too have seen my access to a.p.b.w being dropped by ATT.

I do however see FREE.a.p.w. is available.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote in news:L%Qek.17709$Ri.2724 @flpi146.ffdc.sbc.com:

Are binaries allowed in the rec.* hierarchy? As a work around, we could form a replacement NG rec.woodworking.pictures.binaries

(Or even just rec.woodworking.binaries?)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Where is the free a.p.w.? I've been dropped on bellsouth.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

I am on ATT formerly SW Bell. Yesterday a.p.b.w. disappeared. In OE I did a search for alt.binaries.pictures.wood. and got a blank window. I deleted alt. at the front and free.binaries.pictures.woodworking showed up as being available.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote

???????

What is this? Any explanation?

Is this an actual newsgroup or something else?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Post some pictures there adn see what happens...

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Giganews is "free" with Comcast. I've been using it for many years, no problems, 2 gig/month limit, that I never reached in spite of unbelievable usage for a couple of years.

Reply to
Jack Stein

I posted a picture there and it seems to work fine.

Reply to
Leon

I tried to locate it on the comcast newsgroups and was not able to find it.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Lee Michaels" wrote

Nor I, on a giganews server.

Reply to
Swingman

Not on easynews either.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

I'm on ATT and that doesn't appear on the current newsgroup list.

The binaries list is quite short.

Le> I am on ATT formerly SW Bell. Yesterday a.p.b.w. disappeared. In OE I did

Reply to
Pat Barber

That's great for those with Comcast cable TV.

I'd have to really NEED a.b.p.w to trade back down to cable from DirecTV.

There are so many free places to put pics online... One can simply post a link.

On another note, I think I pay something like $9/mo. for full on hosting for my own domain, and I get my own email addresses and a web site!

You could pay a cheapie host, give everyone you know email addresses, post all the pics you like, and not even bother with the web site, and it's still cheap.

Reply to
B A R R Y

T-Bird warned me that it was gone and automatically unsubscribed. I also use at&t for NG access.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I'm on ATT also.

Reply to
Leon

I have no idea at this point on what might be going on.

Le> I'm on ATT also.

Reply to
Pat Barber

LOL, Don't feel lonely.

I lost a.b.p.w. and did a search for an new picture group, I found one by substitutiong free for alt.

Reply to
Leon

Obviously if you are not that interested in participating in a binary group, it's not important.

That's not even close to being reasonable for groups like Alt.Binary.Photos.Originals where hundreds of pictures are posted each day.

Well, for $50/month I get up to 6 email accounts, 2 for me and one each for my wife and kids. I also get a free web address with each of those where we can all create our own web page. Ken Vaughn who posts here has a free page here

I also get a free Giganews account where all newsgroups are available, including binaries like ABPO.

I don't consider Comcast cheap by any stretch, but if you want all the services they provide, it is worth it, and I particularly like the fact they provide binary groups for free, and if/when they drop them, I will complain whether it falls on deaf ears or not. I doubt I will pay anyone separately though, first because I'm cheap, second because I think most of them will disappear if the two major ISP's drop them.

Reply to
Jack Stein

Good point. Come to think it, most all internet providers include some sort of web space. Since I own a domain, I forget that most access accounts include that. So in reality, just about anyone has an easy and free method to share photos.

To clarify, the domain I pay $9 to host includes my own domain name, lots of storage, and unlimited email addresses, and has nothing to do with my provider. There's even a nice web-based email client. Since I own the domain name, my email or web address doesn't change if I change providers. I really don't need internet access at all to use it. I can post to it or read my mail from any public access tube.

If I really felt binary usenet access was that important, I'd buy access via the many providers, including Giganews, that's been posted here. If I switched back to cable in my area, my bill would climb at least $50/mo., We'd lose our favorite channels, and worse, I'd have to teach my wife to use new equipment!

Reply to
B A R R Y

B A R R Y wrote in news:h9Lgk.18482$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com:

I am sticking with Verizon as ISP, since unlimited US phone service,

20/5 Mbps internet, and Fios TV cost me ~$120/mo, including 2 STBs (no HD yet). I bought 25GB on news.astraweb.com for $10, and have used in 1 month only 50 MB. I use Xnews (free), Eudora (now free), so I don't really need Forte, APN or not. But to each his/her own!!!
Reply to
Han