OT: Sort of Should I salvage my dryer motor

Mon, Oct 18, 2004, 2:34am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net (Puff=A0Griffis) says: Thank you all for the responses. Sad thing JT didn't mention using it as a lawn ornament.

It was essential that "you" contribute to the list of uses.

JOAT Flush the Johns.

- seen on a bumper sticker

Reply to
J T

lawn ornament.

Over the years, I've grabbed a few motors from the trash (dryer and others). Even got chased out of the dump doing this.

One of the most useful machines in my shop is a wire wheel powered by one of these rescued motors. Start by cleaning the rust off things and new uses will evolve.

Bill Leonhardt

Reply to
Bill Leonhardt

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 16:30:05 GMT, JAW calmly ranted:

I have a 1/4 hp motor on my little lathe. Works for me. A 1/3 hp dryer motor should be good for turning a mandrel and buffing or grinding pads/discs. Mount a drill chuck on it and use it as a horizontal mortising machine. Mount a faceplate on it and stick a PSA sandpaper disc on that and use it as a disc sander. Mount a flexible shaft to it and you've got an inexpensive Foredom replacement.

of uses.

============================================================== Like peace and quiet? Buy a phoneless cord. http://www/diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online ==============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The last dryer motor I replaced had an open frame design, and special bearing mounts which resisted field repair.

Given the availability of reasonable small motors from other sources, I'd pass.

Patriarch, who's seem the inside of far too many large appliances lately...

Reply to
patriarch

My tumble drier has just eaten its motor.

My bandsaw is underpowered.

I'm seriously considering switching the bandsaw motor into the drier, then buying a new and decently powerful motor for the bandsaw !

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Andy Dingley wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Well, Andy, based on your posts here, if anybody can do it, you can.

I get impatient, and tired of listening to everyone's questions as to when they can do laundry again. That's when life can get expensive.

Patriarch, who ordered an old handplane this morning as a consolation prize for the failed washing machine repair project.

Reply to
patriarch

Pah ! You didn't see what a farce the "simple" motor swap on the cabinet saw turned into. $30 for a damned magic pulley... 8-(

Reply to
Andy Dingley

£'s ?

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

yes - even worse. £30 - that's $55 or so.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Crap man.. order from the USA and Canada. Cheaper prices though a higher for shipping, still cheaper. She should have gone with the Euro! But, God save her.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

I would go for it. I've got old furnace blower motors (1/4 - 1/3 HP) powering a wire brush wheel (used it the other day to clean epoxy off a bolt - took 60 seconds and worked like a charm, but use eye protection), a lathe (underpowered, but I can use it for an hour or so before it gets too hot and cuts out), a disk sander, and a cheap belt sander originally intended to be powered by a hand-held drill (the drill was annoyingly loud).

Most of the motors and lathe came from my father-in-law, who got them free from various sources. The belt sander came from by father-in-law as a flea market find. The wire wheel and disk sander parts were very cheap from the hardware store.

Anywho, the point is that if you don't salvage that motor you'll find something you need one for and have to wait to find a motor for it or shell out to buy one. Or you'll have to go "shopping" the night before trash day with a can of WD-40, a set of wrenches, screwdrivers, and a flashlight :o)

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn Wilson

The point wasn't whether salvaged motors can prove useful. The discussion was whether a "dryer" motor would be had for a reasonable amount of effort as opposed to one with a conventional mounting foot, a suitable housing that protected it from outside contamination or whether one could find an alternative at an equivalent cost (free) that was more ready to go and suitable for direct application to the uses you and others have suggested.

bob g.

Shawn Wils> I would go for it. I've got old furnace blower motors (1/4 - 1/3 HP) powering a

Reply to
Robert Galloway