First week of class - 2/2

All of the kids in the classes have issues....? I'm learning that I am going

to have to modify my instructional methods - short attention spans, lack of

ability or desire to read and study.... kinda scary in a way to think of

where they will be in 10 years.? I am trying work in other instructional

elements when I talk about how to do something, and there are some glimmers

there... One young gal, very headstrong - knew everything, but not the NAME

of things? (WTF??).... she didn't know which machine was the drill press, or

the jointer, but she could use them and her skills seem competent - anyway,

I told her the history of the circular saw, and how a shaker seamstress

invented the circular saw blade in the early 1800's - and that most modern

saws all owe something to the lady - She *really* liked that story...

Another kid made a sword (THERE's the pointy stick connection) and I had to

explain, in some detail, why I wasn't going to let him take a 4 1/2" long

oak spear out of the classroom.? The "kid" is about 6'2" over 200" Aryan as

all get out with a Mohawk, tats and a large inverted red star tattooed at the

back of the base of his neck.? By the time his senior year comes around, he

will have to turn sideways to make it through the door.? I'll bet he already

has plans for a Trebuchet!

Apparently, I am also "righting the ship" in terms of keeping things

woodworking related - things seem to have been quite lax under the earlier

instructor.? One of the kids asked me where the weight bench was - I guess

they had a weight bench in one corner - that explains the EZ Curl Bar that I

found behind the Shop Bot and the chart showing bench press results.? Gone

also, I guess, is a "project car"(?)....? I'll be getting rid of the carved

mushrooms and marijuana leaves that were done on the shop-bot.? If any of

y'all need some of these carved on 6/4 clear pine let me know.? You don't

have to worry about finish, either - they've already been burned with a

propane torch, wire brushed and covered in polyurethane.? Some of the

marijuana leaves have had the incised portions painted in green.? This is

okay, but in my opinion, the oeuvre of these examples lacks the depth that

the purple and read highlights that only Northern California KGB is *known*

for.? If I can find a student's name on these lesser examples, I will inform

the local 215 Compassion Centers and I will grade accordingly!

All said, I'm going to go back next week, hehe...? The class prep work takes

more time than I thought!

We don't need no education....

John Moorhead

Reply to
John Moorhead

keep them coming John - it's just getting interesting.

Let's see - when I was a kid the Mohawk was in, removable tats, Billy Eckstine roll collars, Beatle continental jackets, cramming into telephone booths and/or beetles. I'm sure our teachers wondered as to the state of the country in the coming years.

Hmmm - after thinking about the current state of the country - perhaps they were right after all. :)

Great info - Thank you

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

Don't forget - a few pull themselves up by their bootstraps. Some sooner, some later. A few go into the Marines and come out just fine. Some never get it, but manage to find their spot in the world.

Almost all of us can relate a story about a very special teacher that made a difference in our life.

Reply to
patrick conroy

Reply to
nospambob