OT Sort of

Can some one tell me how to get on this newsgroup from a PC. Reason I ask is I have finally decided to get into the real world and get a PC. With webtv, it was very simple as I just had to click on woodworking. Did not have to go to any other site. It will be appreciated . THIA.

Reply to
O D

What news reader are you using on the PC?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

| Can some one tell me how to get on this newsgroup from a PC. Reason | I ask is I have finally decided to get into the real world and get | a PC. With webtv, it was very simple as I just had to click on | woodworking. Did not have to go to any other site. It will be | appreciated.

You will want to connect to the internet through an ISP (internet service provider). When you do that you should ensure that both e-mail and usenet (newsgroups) are part of the package; and that the prospective ISP makes available all of the news groups you'd like to read/post.

Your ISP can and should help you to set up your e-mail and news reader software. With good phone coaching you should be able to set everything up in 5-10 minutes.

Morris Dovey

If you don't want to use a newsreader, you can use groups.google.com - go there and search for rec.woodworking. Andy

Reply to
Andy

What he said. Plus you need a newsreader. The newsreader will have to be told what the names of the news server and email server are. That's where the guidance from the ISP comes in.

In my case, I use Agent

and it needs to know the news server and the SMTP server name for outgoing email messages.

Forte also has Freeagent, but it has a few less features than Agent.

There are plenty of other newsreader programs out there. Everyone has a favorite. I'm sure you'll hear plenty about that.

Since you're leaving WebTV, you may also need an email client. I use Eudora made by Qualcomm. You can buy a copy via download from them. OR use it for free, but then there's a bunch of ads on it. I gave them money to avoid the ads.

Again, lots of options here.

Reply to
George Max

If you are buying a typical computer with Windows installed, Outlook Express will also be installed. You can use it for email and for newsgroups. There are others available, but start with OE and it may be all you ever need (and it is free).

Now you have to decide where to get your internet service. Can be your cable company or your telephone company. They can provide you with the information needed to set up the accounts and the news and mail server names. Some ISPs even provide software to do that. OE will walk you through the setup the first time you run it, just fill in the blanks. If you miss something, or have to make a change, go to the TOOLS menu, select Accounts, thin fill in the information needed.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You can use Google Groups and read this newsgroup, all Internet-based. I use this to search for specific posts. This works with any browser.

On a PC you download and install a newsgroup reader such as Agent. There are other ways also. Use Google to find out.

Reply to
Phisherman

Tue, Aug 15, 2006, 9:14pm snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (O=A0D) doth proclaim: Can some one tell me how to get on this newsgroup from a PC. Reason I ask is I have finally decided to get into the real world and get a PC. With webtv, it was very simple as I just had to click on woodworking. Did not have to go to any other site. It will be appreciated . THIA

Dunno. I'm sticking with my WebTV for now, because I can't figure anything I'd actually need a PC for. I can send and receive e-mail (don't e-mail me), print, save URLs, view PDF files, surf the web for free plans, bid on eBay, buy books on-line, even use it as a wordprocessor. That pretty well covers anything I'd be using a PC for; plus, it's a Hell of a lot less expensive than a PC - I don't have to buy any software, or pricey upgrades - and right now I've got around $140 invested in it (got a used Plus on eBay for $50, and a new printer for about $90). I'd love a PC, but with no actual need for one I'm not about to pop for one until I do. So what made "you" change "your" mind?

JOAT Justice was invented by the innocent. Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.

Reply to
J T

And if that doesn't work for you, Mozilla has a product called "Thunderbird" that is a combo email/newsreader for free. Haven't got around to configuring it yet, but I've been using their browser, and it actually works- unlike Internet Explorer.

That being said, you're going from webTV to a PC- you've got more on your plate than newsgroup access, which is getting to be a fairly arcane task these days. The simple answer is to go to

then click on the "groups" link and type "woodworking" in the search box. Quick and easy, and it has to be as good as what webTV had to offer.

Reply to
Prometheus