What's this sort of circlip called - and where to get some?

I'm after a replacement retaining clip which sits on the output shaft of an electric motor and retains a shear pin.

The shear pin simply sits in a hole through the shaft, then around the shaft is a semicircular depression in which the retaining clip sits. Thus the retaining clip is a simple (split) toroid which sits in the groove.

It's from a Vetus bow propeller and their price is £13.40 which seems a little excessive for a trivial little spring clip.

Can anyone suggest what such a thing is called (maybe just a retaining clip I suppose) and where I might find somewhere that I can buy one by specifying its size?

Reply to
tinnews

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk laid this down on his screen :

These things usually sell for pennies, but there are various sizes and types. Any engineering supplies company should be able to supply one - but you need to identify the size and type first. Any chance of a photo of the item?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Mostly called Pingfuckits .. ;)

If you can post a picture it'd be of help. Any decent Engineering supplies, or maybe in this case chandlers, should be able to help.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

External Snap Ring?

Easy enough to find places selling 1000. It is left as an exercise for the reader to find someone who'll slip one in an envelope.

Reply to
Kevin

Yes, "External Snap Ring" is exactly right, a Google search turns up loads of suppliers. Mostly they seem to cost about the Vetus price per 1000! :-)

Reply to
tinnews

If you could use an external circlip, as opposed to a true snap-ring try ebay

Mark