OT - Quote-Fix for Outlook Express

Outlook Express has been driving me crazy by trying to force top posting. I did a Google search looking for a how-to to change the @#%! thing to bottom post.

Well no joy in terms of setting an OE switch; but I found a free add-on that not only lets me (automagicly) bottom post, but color codes all of the quoted portions of everyone's posts and does font magic (so that, for example *bold* is displayed in bold face.)

You can find it at

just downloaded it (to the Desktop) and double clicked on the icon to install. If you're stuck with using OE, this looks like something good to have.

[standard disclaimer]

Morris Dovey

So far I have never had to use Outhouse Distress. Tried it, never inhaled. Thanks for the thought, though.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Thanks Morris.

Reply to
Leon

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 01:27:29 -0500, the opaque "Morris Dovey" spake:

Morris, if you highlight the unnecessary text and hit the delete button, it removes it. Then click under the quote you want and start typing. It's very quick and simple so you should be able to figure it out and become comfortable with the change in a day.

Thank you for bottom (or interstitial) posting.

----- = Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

True, but few responders do this. And if I have to wade through a two screen post to find the answer, I would much rather read a top post reply. Almost everyone groups messages by thread anyway -- which makes it a moot point in MHO.

Ken Vaughn

Reply to
Ken Vaughn

I'm pretty well used to pruning quotes - but I expect my client program to insert sigs properly - and I like that each persons' remarks appear in a separate color.

M$ screws up the signature even when top posting (It kills the space after the double dash) and makes quoted material that follows part of the signature. Since some sane clients remove the run-on portions of signatures, much can get lost.

I don't participate in top/bottom posting "holy wars". Other newsgroups to which I subscribe /require/ bottom posting (comp.lang.c, for example) and I'd offend a great many for whom I have tremendous respect if I top posted there.

My own observation has been that the people who normally top post are those who tend to become most lazy about pruning. They're inclined to insert their stuff at the top and hit "send" - and not worry about the hundred (or two hundred) lines of baggage that accompanies their one-liner.

I try diligently to not force people to scroll in order to discover what I have to say. Consider it my way of attempting to show respect for /you/. (-:

Morris Dovey

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 20:50:17 GMT, the opaque "Ken Vaughn" spake:

Au contraire, mon ami. Top posting by lazy jerks still ruins a running text for all but a single reply. (And how many of those are there compared to long-running threads?)

----- = Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'm with you, brother. I consider those who neglect to trim their quotes as the lowest of the low. Even more to the point, if I have to scroll to find their contribution to the thread, I'll just hit "next" instead. If someone doesn't bother trimming their quotes, I don't bother reading their reply.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

"Larry Jaques" wrote

Top posting assumes two things.

That what is said is the last thing that will be ever said on the subject.

And no interaction will ever need to be made with the any section of the quoted text.

Folks who think like this are usually megalomaniacs or just not very bright.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

On 6/22/2005 2:27 AM Morris Dovey mumbled something about the following:

No one is stuck using OE. There are plenty of free news readers for windows (Thunderbird, FreeAgent, Gravity, Mahogany, MesNews, XNews, and many others) as well as many commercial news readers. You have a choice. Friends don't let friends use OE.

Reply to
Odinn

Odinn expostulated:

| On 6/22/2005 2:27 AM Morris Dovey mumbled something about the | following: || If you're stuck with using OE, this looks like something || good to have. | | No one is stuck using OE. There are plenty of free news readers for | windows (Thunderbird, FreeAgent, Gravity, Mahogany, MesNews, XNews, | and many others) as well as many commercial news readers. You have | a choice. Friends don't let friends use OE.

Actually, I only have that choice on my own machines - and this isn't one of them.

Morris Dovey

You assume that we keep the headers for posts that have been read around. That just clutters up things. I want all of the unread posts for a thread to be grouped, but when I've read a post, I want the header for that posting to disappear.

Mark & Juanita

approached the IT folks they would not have any problem with you dumping OE and moving to other, less vulnerable software. I, for one, would celebrate it, as it would remove a number of annoyances (If I were in their shoes). Of course, there is always that annoying fact that to change software packages requires that we learn something new... and that is not always an easy thing to deal with in this chaotic life we lead. Regards dave mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt