OT: Plumbing Lesson

I learned a couple useful things last night as I changed out two faucets. One is that you can take the holey piece off the pull rod (that goes above the faucet) and put it on another pull rod. If you don't want to change the drain assembly, this makes things really easy. Since I didn't have to muck about with a drain assembly on the second faucet, I got done in about 45 minutes, including going and getting a couple things I missed. The first one took close to 2 hours as I changed the drain assembly, as I hadn't realized this trick.

Next is some faucets come with aerator keys. You'll lose them before you need them. I took a piece of wire I had handy and tied the aerator key to the drain pipe. Now when I go looking for it, I'll hopefully see it hanging there.

Do you guys that do your own plumbing sometimes pop the counter top off a small vanity to change the faucet? I seriously considered doing that on one faucet.

Obligatory Woodworking Content: these faucet problems interrupted my work on a tool sharpening bench. Belt sander, Worksharp and Bench Grinder all in one convenient spot, so hopefully I can keep the dust and grit better contained. The bench itself is nothing special, just thrown together using shop scraps. I plan on adding some bags of concrete to the bottom for mass when I finally decide where to put it.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I did not know they existed.

When faced with this problem I used a pair of pliers if the lower piece was threaded on the inside.

For those that are threaded on the outside I used a pair of pointed nose pliers.

I will have to see about adding one to my tool box.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Keith Nuttle wrote in news:nik0h1$dkm$1 @gioia.aioe.org:

Unfortunately, it looks like they come in several different sizes. I tried using a Moen key on a Delta Faucet, and the key was just slightly too big.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Yes. In the long run it takes less time and yields better results. Most of the time they're only help down by a few dabs of adhesive and in my experience, sometimes nothing but gravity. If they're putting in a new faucet they might as well have a nice, new, clean caulk line behind it. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

I had to remove my kitchen sink to change the faucet. Even with a 90 degree plumbing wrench, I could not get into the tight space. There was blocking (don't know why) right there. So I popped the sink out and mounted, then put it back in.

since it was stainless, it gave me a chance to remove lots of calcium deposits that vinegar was not removing. So a win-win.

Reply to
woodchucker

...snip...

...snip...

The only thing I say to that is this:

Whoever invented pedestal sinks should be hanged, drawn and quartered.

If you have never installed/repaired one of those, count your blessings.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

And equal corporal punishment to those "installers" who never attach them to the wall.

Reply to
-MIKE-