lesson learned

Write on your sprouting cups what they are. I don't want to talk about it.

Then I wont tell you that this has never happened to me although the wife might disagree.

Mike

Reply to
Bloke Down The Pub

They NEVER forget either. But so long as they think we are cute, it's okay.

With the exception of the zukes, the sprouts ALL LOOK ALIKE. I don't even know if a weed seed blew in and is now getting pampered!

I also am trying two different zuke varieties too. Their sprouts look the same too. When they fruit I will be able to tell them apart. One is long and the other is round like a pumpkin.

You live and learn, although I don't think we are granted enough years to truly learn what we really need.

:-)

All the vegetables we eat today were once a weed, don't worry, it might be edible, it might be a throw back. Be patient, newbie.

Reply to
George Shirley

Hi George,

Actually, from my economic botany class in college, weeds are not what most think. They are typically agricultural discards for one reason or another. Dandelions, for instance, make you pee, so out they went. Weeds have small seeds or seeds that mimic the other seeds that are in favor. Purslane has millions of small seeds that looks like poppy seeds. And they require disturbed soil, meaning it gets turned over, walked on etc. and that they seek out agricultural activity as they are discards. (Ever notice dandelions prefer to grow on pathways that you walk on?)

There is cow pasture out in these parts that they let fallow for a few months every year. Since cows walked on it, it is quite disturbed soil The dandelions go crazy. It is bright yellow and very beautiful to look at. On the other side of the fence, the cows lined up in military formation with wild eyes waiting their turn. When the rancher open the gate, a single blink of your eye and the dandelions vanish.

So, a real weeds are edible, or mostly so. And they seems to make a great base down my holes.

I have no idea why we here in the states think purslane is a weeds. It is, but it is so yummy. In part of the world where it is grown for food "supposedly" (watch the weasel word) they have lower rates of dementia. And it is higher is Omega-3 than fish oil.

I have a feeling I am going to be a newbie at this till the day I die. Never give up!

Death to earwigs; death to weeds, except purslane; Squash bugs beware!

-T