OT -- Phoney sites about phoney towns.

You're a group with eclectic interests and maybe someone here can help me...or get me started.

My wife teaches computers to grades seven, eight and nine. As an introduction to viruses, chat room dangers, spyware, malware, etc., they're about to learn that -- especially on the internet -- things are not alway what they seem.

That is -- they are if we can find enough hoax sites that are suitable for young minds. She recalls a couple of sites ... very real looking sites for towns that did not exist ... the url's are long lost and google has not been my friend.

Any help much appreciated. Any thoughts on what else 11 - 14 year olds ought to know about the net (their knowledge seems to be a mile deep (msn) but an inch wide) would also be welcome.

Thank you.

Ken

Reply to
bambam

I know of no real fake sites, but here are some which might teach some critical thinking:

just a couple:

Philip Lewis

I suppose not... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

suitable

looking

I don;t know any about fake towns. How about a fake University?

fake prduct:

> Any help much appreciated. Any thoughts on what else 11 - 14 year

Spamhaus.org has a list of fake "remove me from your spam list" sites here:

surely you must get frequent phishing emails referring you to fake webpages set up for identity theft and credit card fraud. Soem of those can last for weeks if they are hosted by a major telecomunications company.

I get them every day as well as viruses sent as fake microsoft update attachments etc.

I can also refer you to some government sites with false information if you want your students to learn to challenge authority...

Reply to
fredfighter

Well, I know of one such site -- but it definitely isn't suitable for classroom use.

I second the suggestion on critical thinking. Internet users have got to understand that they are their own filter and their own evaluator. You might drive the point home to them with one or two really wacko sites.

--RC

Reply to
Rick Cook

one example of types of software to avoid. It generates popus based upon your browsing habits:

FriscoSoxFan

There's always:

far as I can tell, this guy's serious.

--RC

Reply to
Rick Cook

Republic of Molossia

The dangers of dihydrogen monoxide, etc.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

This is one of the classics:

used to have people coming to town wondering where the Submarine docks were (In Minnesota!!).. Local prof in teaching technology did it to show how gullible people were. Now there are lots of disclaimers on it, but the irate letter from the head of the Chamber of Commerce is real.

Reply to
Walt Cheever

I think that guy needs to put his tinfoil hat back on...

Rob

Rob Walters

Um, when trying to make the earth flat, should one use a jointer, or a planer? Would a 6" one do, or should I save up and buy the 8"?

Reply to
Rob Mitchell

If you read some of the other pages on his site, it appears to me that this guy has his tongue way, way back in his cheek.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

Just wanted to say thanks very much for the help. I'll try to post a list of all the sites I've been referred to, here and in the 24 hour support group.

My assignment this weekend is to put together material on anti virus programs, firewalls, adware, malware, trojans, hijackers .... all that good stuff.

And yes, as Rob Mitchell pointed out, they need to learn about address harvesting . I don't think we'll teach them how to cover their tracks -- but we may show them a keylogger and ask ... what if your dad puts one on your computer? (Evil grin)

Again, thank you for your interest and help

Ken

Reply to
bambam

These pages might give you a kick start. Maybe you know this stuff already.

Make sure you check the "busted up cowgirl" link for the Nigerian/419 scam. Hilarious.

help

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.tnx wrote:

Reply to
Will

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 01:26:19 GMT, the inscrutable "Walt Cheever" spake:

Good 'un!

P.S: To the OP, "phony" has no "e".

-- Vidi, Vici, Veni ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

This one fools almost everyone at first:

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.tnx wrote in news:ss0q01126e1t0hpf2fdmh6muii62thjr0a@

4ax.com:

Reply to
No6

... snip

Seems that the sites "J" listed fit that bill, but they aren't exactly kid friendly.

Mark & Juanita

> They used to have people coming to town wondering where the Submarine docks

There is a US Navy base in Idaho.

Reply to
fredfighter

...and an under sea warfare training center in Nevada.

- Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn