OT: Music list - revisited

I've been catching up and enjoyed reading what everyone has been listening to on their ipods. While my list would look much like those posted before here are a few I didn't see listed...

Dave Alvin -- How this guy escaped me for so long I don't know. My favorites: "Ashgrove"," Interstate City", "Blackjack David","King Of California","Out In California",and his Grammy winner "Public Domain"

Steve Gibbons Band - "Down In The Bunker"

Tonio K - "Life In The Foodchain"

Jim Carroll Band - "Catholic Boy"

Warren Zevon - "Excitable Boy", "My Ride Is Here" (pretty much any Zevon)

Todd Snyder- "The Devil You Know" (featuring the song "Looking For A Job")

Richard Thompson - "Sweet Warrior"

James McMurtry - "Live In Aught Three"

Lenny

Reply to
lenhow
[snip fine selection list]

Todd Snider: Songs for the Daily Planet is one CD that gets a lot of play around here. I also like Dan Reeder from the same stable (Ohboy Records, John Prine's label.

I wonder if Todd has managed to get his drinking under control..LOL

So:

*raises pint*

"Here's to hair gel Hanging out at the health spa Using condom sense Watching L.A. Law Here's to drum machines Stonewashed jeans Credit cards, fax machines Big bow-headed chicks and frat guys Wearing forty dollar tie-dyed t-shirts And big old paisley ties Here's to living off dad as long as you can And blending in with the crowd Oh, my generation My generation My generation should be proud"

Reply to
Robatoy

Deaf Leopard Twisted Sister The Beastie Boys Metalica Marilyn Manson

Willie Nelson

Reply to
Leon

ROTFLMAO!!!

Reply to
Robatoy

WoW!!! Willie and the rest on the same list? That's what I call diversity.

Reply to
evodawg

How is it that no one here has listed Culture Club Indigo Girls Village People ??

Reply to
DS

didn't see Paul Whiteman, Guy Lombardo, Malo, and the Bay City Rollers.

Reply to
jo4hn

The uh, tooty fruity club would be excluded. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Slim Whitman !

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

I can at least count on hearing Guy Lombardo every week or so. He gets played on a show on the local radio station.

Colin

Reply to
Colin B.

There is one musician on that list.

What are the rest?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Funny!

In the 80's I listened to the first 4.

I still listen to the second 2 on occasion.

The first 2 actually had better songs before they got "huge".

**
**

B A R R Y

The rest are antagonists.

Reply to
Leon

When I see names like Monk, Brubeck, Dexter Gordon, Stan Kenton, Ella, Sarah, Dinah, J Cash, Joe Williams, H Hancock, Sinatra. Dean, Sammy and a few others, I'll know the subject is about musicians.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Oh my... Dave Brubeck. Wonderfully understated piano arrangements, to me the best in a quartet (or so).

But introduce Paul Desmond, and the clock stopped on classic jazz quartets. I have never heard and probably will never hear a finer sax than Desmond. Liked Getz in his Brazilian phase for his smooth delivery, but even when he recorded with Brubeck, well, he was no Desmond. To me they were like Lennon/McCartney, the sum better than the parts. Sadly, it is difficult for two drug abusing alcoholics to work together very long, and Desmond was a mess.

Can you believe "Time Out" was released > years ago? The music Brubeck released from about '59 until about 1970 or so stand the test of time by any measure for the quartet sound.

Bravo, Lew!

I am impressed, absolutely not kidding one bit. How many people know and appreciate this man and his work? A great collaborative musician. A troubled, mad genius. How many light years away from his fellow musicians was this man? When his album with Intermission Riff, Eager Beaver, etc., came out, he made all the other big bands (except Artie Shaw) look like junior high school bands.

I used to listen to The Stones, The Who, etc., and then to Stan Kenton. I was hypnotized by him.

I saw Kenton twice, the last time was around 1974 and he was out of the sanatorium.... one more time. Hearing Artistry in Rhythm with Pete Rugolo's (sp?) arrangements was spine tingling and I still remember the white suit he wore sitting in front of mirror polished grand piano. Bless his heart, he himself was quiet and old, but his band was INSPIRED. They knew what that stuff was supposed to sound like. We were in a smaller venue for about 3500 people (large for him) and they absolutely tore the place up.

I have a very wide range of music I listen to. I listen to everything from classical (especially Wagner), jazz (no fusion), rock, some country, some bluegrass, folk, Americana, etc. I don't listen to music that *thumps*, though. It makes me nuts.

But Sammy.... Davis? Really, Sammy Davis?

Did I miss something? You weren't talking about Sammy Kershaw were you? ;^)

Damnit Lew, there for a minute I thought you were a happenin' dude!

Sammy? Honest?

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

It is my understanding that "Take5" is the largest selling jazz recording of all time.

The broadway stage had a few duos that took that same road.

Neil Hefty was another of Kenton's aranger.

And then there was June Christy, AKA: "The misty Miss Christy" followed by Cris Conner.

Don't come to SoCal.

You come to a red light with the A/C, the windows rolled up, and you can feel the vibs and sounds of those god damn drums like you were at a Saterday afternoon viewing of a Tarzan movie when you were a kid.

The natives were restless back then and it appears still are.

Pound for pound, probably the most talented entertainer of my time.

He could sing, dance, act, as well as a stand up entertainer/comedian.

Carried his own aranger/pianist.

Got to see him in "Golden Boy" on Broadway in the mid 60's.

He left it all on the stage that night,

I was impresssed.

Yep.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It may also be the largest selling sheet music to high school jazz ensembles.

**
**

B A R R Y

Def Leopard (not necessarily the same as Deaf Leopard!) is good, trashy fun. The rest are the same, except for the "fun" and the "good" parts.

Reply to
Colin B.

But what do you think of Def Leppard?

Reply to
J. Clarke

[snip] Saw the results of a poll (local LA? ) on a jazz station (KKJZ) web site. The second favorite album ever was Take 5. Number 1 was Kinda Blue (Davis). Two good choices.

Incidentally, the latest remix/reissue of Kinda Blue is great. Has a second take of So What. Worth a listen.

mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn