OT: Memorial Day (Today)

For those of you who are citizens of the USA.

Hope you have taken a moment to remember why we have this day.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

After Gerrison Keillor cut down of the accomplishments of the US in the songs he had on his program last night we will never listen to him again. It has been coming on for a long time, last night was the last straw.

For most of today we watched a bunch of war movies on TV. Watched the opening ceremonies and parts of the race at Charlotte before the rain and am watching the Indy 500 from opening to the end tonight. (Indianapolis is blacked out)

The B-26 bombers came right across our house, a very impressive site.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Excuse the Brain Fart

Tomorrow, not today.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

And for those of us who are not in the USA, our thanks.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:sSkSl.372$Cc1.322 @nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

As often mentioned here, I was born in Holland and we are eternally grateful for liberating us from the German occupation. Thus, Memorial Day has special meaning for our family. I also should mention that I work in a Veterans Administration Hospital, although I have no direct patient contact. Most likely I will watch the local Memorial Day parade tomorrow, as I have many in the past.

Thanks to all inside and out of the services who have made sacrifices of all kinds to allow the world the freedoms we cherish. I hope that those freedoms will become even more universal than they are today. I also hope those freedoms will continue to include the freedom to criticize, for without that freedom has no meaning (IMNSHO).

Reply to
Han

I've had reason to remember most of my life:

picked this one and 9 others that are running as a bridge to commercials on CNN through Monday

news

Gave up on the pompous prick years ago. Had to laugh at two musician friends, previously of his same basic persuasion, who were recently on his show (the "duo" thing) and came back in disbelief at the overtly shabby treatment they received, apparently simply because of the state they were from. IOW, they learned All is not so warm-fuzzy-touchy-feely as they had imagined the public persona to be.

Reply to
Swingman

My brother gave me one of his books for Christmas several years ago. I didn't make it past about 15 pages. To say he is arrogant and condescending to those who don't share his views would be to understate the vitriol in that tome. Kind of a between-the-lines message was that his "Lake Woebegone" series is really intended to denigrate and belittle those whom he is parodying.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

This is always a weird day for me.. "Happy Memorial Day" seems like an oxymoron...

More and more, it's a day to reflect on those that died while in harms way and a sort of guilt/joy combo that I didn't.. Damn, I've been out of the Army for over 40 years..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

rote:

A couple of years ago, I celebrated my 50th anniversary of my "release" from Parris Island. Where the hell does the time go?

My personal condolences to all those who lost loved ones to war, no matter the war.

Reply to
Charlie Self

If my memory serves me correctly (and it's getting pretty old), on this day in 1951, I was in the Chorwon Valley, Korea.

Max

Reply to
Max

I've never even heard of anyone who does the type of humor Keilor does who isn't a blemish on mankind's butt. My ex-wife used to love his stuff. I'd listen and scratch my head, wondering what was so funny about condescension.

Reply to
Charlie Self

A year ago we decided to move back to rural Southeast Kansas. One of the best decisions of our life. This morning we attended the local Cemetery service. A simple mass was celebrated for the roof of a 100 year old stone tool shed in the middle of the cemetery. Within 200 yards there were graves dated from last week, back dating back to civil war graves from the 1860's. At the end of the service a group of local vets performed the same service they do every year. Most wore blue jeans with the same uniform shirts they have worn for years, and some had VFW caps. They represented WW II, Korea, Vietnam and both desert conflicts. One Vietnam vet read a short poem-prayer and the did the 21 gun salute with WW II era rifles. At the end of the service the packed the rifles into the back of a pickup and solemnly left for the next graveyard.

Arlington didn't do it any better.

RonB

Reply to
rnrbrogan

"Charlie Self" wrote: ==================================== I've never even heard of anyone who does the type of humor Keilor does who isn't a blemish on mankind's butt. My ex-wife used to love his stuff. I'd listen and scratch my head, wondering what was so funny about condescension. ====================================

To appreciate Keilor's deprecating humor, I'm convinced you need the perspective of having grown up in the rural Midwest under the influence of strong protestant church (probably Lutheran).

First time I heard him was back in the mid 80's driving home from the boat yard after a long day.

His observations gave me more than a few chuckles since they brought back memories of my childhood.

His definition of Cream Of Mushroom Soup as "The glue that held the Midwest together", is a classic.

Still use Cream Of Mushroom Soup in many recipes learned from my mother.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Oh yeah. Speaking as a midwestern (Northern Minnesota) Lutheran, I knew a lot of these people that he talks about, including several Norwegian bachelor farmers. The song about the Lutheran Tuna Casserole is a classic. Arrogance? I don't see it but to each his own. I listen and I smile as a lot of my upbringing is remembered. Norskie-ly yours, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

SFWIW, there are some from Minnesota of Norwegian extraction here on the wrec.

Yep. A mental blank on this end. I refuse to eat the cat food in a can they try to pass off as tuna fish.

That makes two of us.

By the way, assume you are aware, the PHC show will be aty the Greek in early June.

It's almost a tradition.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

When I made my comment, I probably wasn't as clear as I could have been. The arrogance doesn't really come out through his performance of the Lake Woebegone bit -- it was really more revealed in his book. The Lake Woebegone stuff can be somewhat funny, and as a Lutheran, I can see some of the humor in a self-deprecating way. His writings were more revealing in terms of his attitude in writing those bits. That wasn't so funny, it bordered more on the ugly side. I can't quote anything specific, it's been several years since I received his book and I can't locate it anymore.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

We've seen him at the Greek a couple of times but it's kinda hard to get there from here. Also saw his show at a bank building in St.Paul in

1980 or 81 IIRC courtesy of one of my cousins. I could see we were similar in our cornball approach to life.

One of the Greek shows was Maggie's first. She was struck mostly by his ability to stand by the microphone and spin the Lake Woebegone yarns without notes. I now pick it up via the web from

also gives the local weather for comparison with what I see outside my house. We get more snow here. Twitch.

mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

==================================== Now I understand why you want to be in SoCal, but live in Minnesota weather.

Son Of A Gun, You're homesick.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Self-deprecating is fine. Maybe it's a midwest thing, because I was brought in as a Baptist, in the East, with trips to Mom's home state, Virginia, to leaven the mix. Though my mother wasn't a true believer (she though all religions were mostly BS, with Judaism being the closest to sanity), I had innumerable aunts and uncles who were. A few still are. But self-deprecating and condescension differ primarily in the presenter. Keilor often brought a shameful chuckle, but the feeling was that he was making fun of people for whom he had little respect, but some affection.

Reply to
Charlie Self