OT: Me In a Music Video (get a good laugh!)

Doug Winterburn wrote in news:4ec5a46b$0$19683$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

If you don't mind messing around with software, you can use an oldish computer to do that. The only real trick would be getting RAID to work, but I'm sure there's a Linux-package-distro that makes it easy. (There seems to be one of those for just about everything.)

If running Windows on your primary machine, be sure to get the Pro or better versions. They support backing up to a Network out of the box. (My system makes backups every week with no intervention. That's how it should be.)

Obligatory Woodworking Content: I'd love to find an inexpensive player that would play my MP3s in the shop with expandable storage or Wireless LAN connection and good antenna.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I might have missed the context ... I thought the discussion was about ripping a CD to an audio codec that makes it sound better than the sow's ear it was to start out. :)

If so, my fault ...

That ain't the word for it, Bubba.

For the record, and before it gets lost to humanity:

To this day, even with the so called advances in recording technology, the ONLY way to record drums and bass for the absolute ultimate in sonic experience _and accurate reproduction_ is on a 2" 16 track analog machine running at 30ips. You only gotta hear it once ... it's not Memorex, it's real ... and your brain will never let your ears forget the experience ...

Sync it to the rest, but start out with the best!

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote

Yep, and it can happen to an untrained ear in some cases as well.

I had a small voice only studio with some monitor speakers designed for am radio. Since I was just recording voice, it was just fine. But sometimes some folks came by and wanted to listen to some music. I put on the music and played it back on the am monitors. There were high quality monitors. The sound was perfect for about 60 percent of the sound spectrum. The rest just wasn't there. It was not needed or was it built in. Amazingly, most people complimented me on the high end. Some folks thought I was lying when I told them there was no high end. I got out the documentation and showed them the frequency response graph. But they swore that they heard absolutely wonderful high end.

They did in fact hear absolutely wonderful low end and middle. They just filled in the rest. Good old psycho acoustics!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

128kbs, dithered properly and depending on instrument(s) played, can indeed be impossible to tell, Mr. Golden Ears. (Does this need a smiley?)
Reply to
Robatoy

lol. I'm not imagining it. I hear an mp3 at 128 and I can't tell what cymbals are what. The whole top end is mush. I ask for the original or something at 320 and everything is clear and distinct.

(ps: beer summit tomorrow eve on google+)

Reply to
-MIKE-

For automatic network backup from a linux server for linux and windows machines, I use backuppc:

Doug Winterburn

B&K, haven't heard that name in almost 50 years and then not for audio equipment but rather for a motor driven oscillator used for electro-dynamic vibration test stands used primarily by the space program.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yep, they're both about as good as it gets ... That coincident stereo pair and a Nagra is impossible to beat for a live stereo recording, but for a rhythm track on a multitrack rock/blues song, I never could get 13 drum tracks, a bass track, and a sync tone plus guard track on that damned little recorder!

(I used a coincident pair of Neuman KM-84's and a Nagra to record the sound of waves lapping against the shore (we used a small kiddy pool and swished the water by hand) as the intro to a Dana Cooper song years ago. It was so realistic and startling that everyone who heard it in the studio would react with an instinctive urge to lift their feet up.)

Reply to
Swingman

I owned a B&K motor driven signal generator, all tubes, two oscillators (to set up beat frequency for calibration, and a speedometer-type cable which drove a linear chart recorder. Dead nuts accurate 20-20KHz. The 2 mics, with their associated preamps and calibrated as a unit, came from two B&K sound pressure meters. Flat...and I mean FLAT from

6-100KHz. The capsules, the size of a 1/2" pill, were $ 3000.00 each, hence I borrowed them from The National Research Council in Ottawa when I needed them. For audio purposes, the flatness and dynamic range were perfect, but the noise-floor was a bit high and at that size, there were almost 100% omni. It would probably take a kiloton nuclear explosion at 10 ft to overload those crazy things.

Then there is that story of the PAIR of matched AKG 414 XLS microphones which I missed. They walked out of that pawnshop for for

400...$ gasp...$ 400.00 the pair... mint.....
Reply to
Robatoy

First time didn't make it, trying again...

I've done some minor repair work but no building or rebuilding. I've toyed with the idea, especially since I've thought about trying the bass guitar. Guess I'll have to poke around the local flea market.

Most of mine are in a giant metal rack I picked up a few years ago. Run-over is in milk crates, waiting to be cataloged. I use a program to try and avoid re-buying the same CD, which has happened.

I'm already in the process of doing that and glad of it. Much easier to listen to all around the house. Protects the CD too, from being handled too much. I already decided this year is the last year I'm going to "increase" my library. Going forward I'm going to limit myself to one hard drive and anything new going in requires something going out. With over 2k in albums, there are too many I don't listen too, at least often enough.

;) `Casper

Reply to
Casper

I quit using compressed formats years ago. I strictly use lossless now, either FLAC or ALAC. 2k CDs in lossless uses a bit'o space.

Reply to
Casper

wow, someone's rear end must hurt, real bad. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Self inflicted for not getting them on time...or the pawnshop owner once he figured it out what they were worth?

Reply to
Robatoy

The days of reaming a shop owner with his own ignorance of an instrument's worth are over thanks to the interwebs. Not that I'm complaining.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Ex musician, future woodworker lurking here.

Lots of instruments are wood and the construction details are critical to the sound.

Winston_Smith

Bluegrass banjo since '76.

Reply to
Father Haskell

You don't need rapidly spinning sharp objects. I know this guy through a computer club.

Stuart

Even at that, if your average file was 30MB, you could still put a hundred thousand songs on a single 3TB HD. At an average 3 minutes a song (10MB/minute), that's 5,000 hours of continuous listening. At an hour of listening a day, it would take you nearly 14 years to listen to your entire collection, without ever repeating a single song. That's still not much of a limit.

Reply to
Just Wondering

Reply to
Father Haskell

I used to be an audiophile, but with extensive therapy I recovered. A big move where all the gee-whiz audio gear went into storage and stayed there for quite some time helped a lot. I'm thinking of putting some of that gear back into service, but not on the worshipping-at-the-alter scale. These days I'd rather buy power tools or maybe a new bass guitar or something like that as opposed to some gold-plated piece of hi-fi gear. But it's funny that I can still remember what certain recordings played through that kind of system sounded like, and I can hear how feeble most people's audio systems are these day ("home theatre" setups designed to make explosions and death rays sound good rather than reproduce music). I guess I'm not

*completely* cured, maybe there are meetings I can attend to help me stay on the wagon....
Reply to
DGDevin