OT: Me In a Music Video (get a good laugh!)

A family had twin boys whose only resemblance to each other was their looks. If one felt it was too hot, the other thought it was too cold. If one said the TV was too loud, the other claimed the volume needed to be turned up. They were opposite in every way. One was an eternal optimist, the other a doom-and-gloom pessimist.

Just to see what would happen, on Christmas, their father loaded the pessimist's room with every imaginable toy and game. The optimist's room he loaded with horse manure.

That night, the father passed by the pessimist's room and found his son sitting amid his new gifts crying bitterly.

"Why are you crying?" the father asked.

"Because my friends will be jealous. I'll have to read all these instructions before I can do anything with this stuff. I'll constantly need batteries, and my toys will eventually get broken," answered the pessimist twin.

Passing the optimist twin's room, the father found his son dancing for joy in the pile of manure.

"What are you so happy about?" the father asked.

The optimist twin replied, "There's got to be a pony in here somewhere!"

Reply to
krw

Yes, I'm one of the lousy ones. I could play songs you would recognize on at least 4 different instruments from 3 different instrument families. On guitar, I took the time to learn to play a few things well. I played in a few open-mic nights--never for pay like you. I used to walk on a trail through the woods (next to where I lived) and play and sing some old country blues. A gal overheard me once and complimented me, and I made a date with her on the spot. She chickened out though before the eagle flew (on Friday) though... I still sing something everyday I think, just for the halibut.

With regard to your generalization, I think "we" are drawn towards technical things--things with moving parts, etc., and some of us are probably creative and/or artistic.

Bill

Musicians do tend to find other interesting things to

Reply to
Bill

Well he does like to dress in women's clothing too. I'm confused.....

Reply to
Leon

Now, I'm confused. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

I've been playing guitar for a few years now. Mostly chords like G,C,D,E....(NO Fs though), and an occassional minor.

As soon as I finish the wherry I'm going to build a lap steel out of cypress root.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

I did build a pretty cool music machine last week though:

Zz Yzx

Nice job!

All musicians knew their parts, as far as "controlling themselves" (presence) went.

Good tune, I liked it, and well performed. Video was professional quality too.

Percussion was nothing too fancy and didn't show you off much. You must be less crazy than I figured , from that tune.

I played with a few bands, years back and the good drummers were always the unpredictable, wild personalities. Anytime we had a drummer without the craziness the band was "draggy" LOL

This is a 17 year young singer/songwriter whose album I played on. She also asked me to play in her band in this video.

So check me out in this teen-angst love-torn teenybopper music video and go ahead and laugh away when you see me on drums. The other old guy in the band is the producer of the album.

My friend directed and shot the video which turned out great and is very high quality.

Josepi

Most session work follows the KISS rule. My general rule is play half of what I think I should play, then play less. That usually ends up sounding good. I'd rather be told to play more and stretch out a bit than, "could you back off a bit, you're too busy."

I've had some sessions where it was appropriate to show the "crazy side." :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

That was what was meant by "controlling themselves". Too many players are really great when needed and "look at me" when not wanted. Maybe it's an experience maturity thing. I played too many bars and hated that for years before giving it up. My two older boys followed the musical interest. One did percussion in school for seven years and was damn fine but won't tough it now. The other picked it up by himself and plays many instruments, quite well, but never tried professionally. A third one only listens.

Now I am married to a wife that doesn't like much music, basically, at all. Can't stand anything dynamic or creative and I have listened to too many nail gun pops and whining in my ears, as a result. Should have hired the framer but no... had to do it myself. LOL

I've had some sessions where it was appropriate to show the "crazy side." :-)

Reply to
Josepi

I just love to play with G Strings also butt, unlike you, I don't get mixed up with minors.

---------------

I've been playing guitar for a few years now. Mostly chords like G,C,D,E....(NO Fs though), and an occassional minor.

As soon as I finish the wherry I'm going to build a lap steel out of cypress root.

-Zz

Reply to
m II

(Raises hand.) Yep, yep. A very natural thing indeed. That's where I started. Piano, guitar, native flute, recorder and a dabble of drums. Nothing pro for me, although I know a few. I'm a heavy listener these days, sporting over 2k in CDs. My woodworking tools are starting to catch up! LOL! I wish I had started woodworking all those years ago too. Ah well, it is what it is and I'm enjoying it. :)

Reply to
Casper

My wife got me a bass kit from Grizzly awhile back that will test my primitive finishing skills, for once I'm researching first and starting second. Rebuilding a Fender bass I found at a flea market was also fun in large part because woodworking gave me the confidence to tear the instrument down to the bone and rebuild it despite never having done that kind of thing before. As for CDs I've designing a new set of shelves that will go right to the ceiling and waste less space between shelves, it's the only way to get the stacks of CDs that are all over the house off various pieces of furniture and onto the wall where we can find them when we want them. The idea of putting all our music onto hard drives is starting to look more attractive. between books and CDs we're about out of wall space.

Reply to
DGDevin

What is this "wall space" you speak of? ;-)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Didn't see too much of you... you were in the background. You sounded good though. The music was good, the song was good seems a little mature for a 17 year old's songwriting.

Was her voice enhanced? She has a very nice voice, noth> This is a 17 year young singer/songwriter whose album I played on.

Reply to
tiredofspam

I hate the key of E-flat when playing guitar.

Reply to
Nova

I believe it's next to the "floor space", wherever that disappeared to eons ago.

-- Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power. -- Seneca

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I've been playing drums since 1971 (when I was 9 years old), far longer than I've been a woodworker.

Reply to
Steve Turner

That's the way if should be. It's an artist video, not a band video.

Thank you.

You'd be surprised what they go through these days.

No, though it should've been in a spot or two (autotune). :-) I don't see autotune as the evil that many people do. It's a tool, like any other tool (woodworking metaphor). It can be abused: making a mediocre singer sound good. Or it can be a tool used to fix little pitch issues that weren't noticed during recording.

But no, besides a little reverb, that's her.

Reply to
-MIKE-

But you've probably lost less money as a woodworker than a musician. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

A beginner then. :)

I'm only 5 years older, but I was in my first band by 1971. We'd probably even done our first paying gig; $10 a man for one set at the Kings Point Mental Institution. The guitarist's Dad drove us to the place in his plumbing truck. We sat on the floor with our instruments and amps in between the cubbyholes of elbows and tees. The big time, for sure.

Reply to
Greg Guarino