More Burnt Wood Finishing-- his time a cabinet.

A while back, I posted a pic of the burnt shelves I made for the Pub my friend owns. They have this really awkward L-shape space behind the bar that nothing will fit into, so I'm making a custom open cabinet fit in the space. They like the burnt shelves so much they want the cabinet and more shelves to match.
Here's how it's going so far... https://photos.app.goo.gl/RQktW1PSEvSwyFn37
--

-MIKE-

WOW! That is some awesome artistic looks you have there. I remember the shelving you made, if these patterns can be made permanent it should be a match made in heaven. :)
On 5/10/18 3:53 PM, OFWW wrote:

Thank you.
It doesn't have quite the safe effect on plywood as it does on solid wood, but I think it still looks pretty good. Considering once it's installed and filled with bottles, nobody's going to see the plywood sections anyway, I'm ok with it.
There will be more shelves, like the previous ones, on top of this cabinet. They are being made of the same edge-glued panels as the originals.
--

-MIKE-

Nicely done! I actually like that effect a lot if done sparingly as it isn't done much. It makes the work seem more like a "feature".
Good job on getting it even, too!
Robert

Thanks, Robert. It's not easy to get it even on some of these imported products. I'm not sure why. In any case, you can always sand out some of the burn to fine tune it.
--

-MIKE-

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 5:14:59 PM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:

Cool Effect Mike I have never done this. but I dabbled with something cal led Pyrography or pyrogravure which is a fancy name for wood burning I had to replace a missing panel in a small cabinet very tedious work I must say much more awkward than a Pencil or Fountain pen. Nice Work Mike rick B.
On 5/10/18 5:42 PM, Rick the antique guy wrote:

I did a pure carnauba wax finish on a bass drum that a friend/colleague had burned in the way you describe. It was very artistic work. I'll see if I can find a picture of it.
Here's the burning technique I use for these projects.

https://youtu.be/ENOTocaMwxw

https://youtu.be/ENOTocaMwxw

--

-MIKE-

On 5/10/2018 8:41 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

My favorite woodworker, TV Star, Entertainer, Buckin' Billy Billy Ray Smith (not really any of these things, he's actually a chainsaw guru, and has hundreds of youtube videos on cuttin', climbin' and even buckin' trees) He also sells axes and burns all his ax handles. He also burned his living room floor, and all the walls and floors in his new shed.
Anyway, he has videos of burning his new shed floors and walls, but I couldn't find them but did find this one of him burning his living room floor. If you like cuttin' and buckin' this guy is awesome. BTW, he is also a drummer, sort of, and plays the harpoon really well. He plays with his mom, who is a singer and they are pretty good. A lot of his videos have his or their music in them.
Here is a video I found of him burning his floors in the house. Also has some drumming in it, but 90% of his videos are him cuttin' wood. Find some of him climbing and you should enjoy him. The more you watch him, the better it gets. Note all his drums at the end of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arn8O180-qs

I watch youtube on TV instead of TV and he is generally better than anything on regular tv. He puts out at least a video a day... He is not an instructor in the least, just loves what he's been doing professionally his whole life, and it comes through in his videos. After watching 10 or 20 of them he becomes a friend you love watching.
--
Jack
On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 9:07:22 AM UTC-4, Jack wrote:

I love the Pics of Your Shop Jack, a lot of similar tools and some old school stuff. I am a 4th generation woody and I have some if my Great Grandfarhers,Grandfathers and all of my Fathers tools and Equiptment. Plus all of my own machinist and woodworking tools I bought new or at yard sales. I am a just Tool junkie and shop is a bit crowded. When I am working it's in complete disaray. Well I say I've more tools than brain cells at this point. Because of all the 55 years with the finishing it's off gasses. I can't smell it much but when wisitors come in and they are taken back by the woodworks aroma. My Dad had 70 years of the same. I hope to come close on either side of that. He told me once "when You come home with all Your fingers, It was a good day". Still it's fun and "I'll go in the saddle" saw horse. At least I hope! rick B.
On 5/12/2018 12:27 PM, Rick the antique guy wrote:

Thanks Rick. Most of my stationary tools are from the early 50's. I do have some of my Dads hand tools though, and those are older. My brother still lives in the old homestead and he has all my dads tools.

Yeah, me too. I like tools. I can actually go into any tool store and not see one thing I need. I still by stuff occasionally, but like to say my tools have tools. I love my shop though, and all my tools have a place of their own. Actually have all the drawers and cabinets I need, and it takes almost no time to put everything away when I'm done with a project. I'm getting a little old though, and not as interested in building much, particularly large projects. Aurthur Itis is not your friend...
--

Jack

On 5/12/18 8:07 AM, Jack wrote:

I like his stuff, Jack. Also, he's actually a decent drummer. A bit sloppy, time-wise, but he's just practicing and he's obviously not doing it to be a sessions guy. Nice collection of kits, too. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 5/16/2018 5:18 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Here is one of him knocking down a tree close to a house. He has better climbing ones but this one has his 70+ year old Mom singing the blues, with him on drums, Harp and singing, and so on. The vids that show him knocking off the limbs as he climbs are really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUWGKk9UVOY

Here's a video of his "theme song" and a slide show of some of his stuff. If you get past the beginning, his drumming gets better, but it's him singing and playing the harpoon. Probably his Mom on the guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
qpTF7uIho
Note his channel has almost nothing to do with his music, which is just an aside. He has some video's of climbing that are crazy. He's 100' + in 4 inches (less) of wood knocking em down. He has hundreds of videos just knocking down trees. The guy is amazing, and fearless and more enjoyable than anything on the regular TV wasteland.
--
Jack
On Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 8:50:37 AM UTC-4, Jack wrote:

I haven't watched he whole thing yet, but something caught my eye at 2:00.
He drops a section as 2 other guys on the ground aren't even watching. The section drops what? 10, maybe 15' behind them. I guess you build up a lot of trust over time.
On 5/19/2018 10:00 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

He's not into OSHA. None of his 1000+ video's have constant mandatory safety warnings like: always wear helmet, glasses, steel gloves, earmuffs, steel pants, don't put your hand on whirling blades, don't drop trees on pedestrians, on ad infinitum. That's one of the things I like about him, not controlled by American Bar Association, or whomever is responsible for turning American men into buffoons. He usually doesn't endanger guys working with him, usually a young dude and his son.
I'm not afraid of chain saws, or any tool really, but this guy... I've seen him 100' in a tree and cut branches 3 inches from the rope that's holding him to the tree, one handed... Huge cahoonas, but he knows his stuff, that's for sure.
--
Jack

That is the beauty of editing, would love to see his out takes.
On 5/20/2018 12:07 PM, Markem wrote:

Why, you think he actually cut his rope, fell out of the tree, climbed back up and edited out that part? If you watch his video's, you will quickly see he is the real thing. To fake his work via editing is not his thing, but he edits his stuff for sure, but not to fake anything.
Here is a good video of a job he did on Saturday the 19th. He shows some climbing and a big leaner. He's doing it for an old guy who seems to be wanting to help, but Billy Ray don't need no stinking help. The old guy is standing pretty close to the big leaner when Buckin' drops it. That should bother the heck out of DerbyDad.
--
Jack

No by editing you can not show the mistakes made, just because he does what he does doesn't mean there are not screw ups. You obviously are enamored beyond reality with this man.
On 5/21/2018 10:52 AM, Markem wrote:

Wow, I said the guy knows his stuff (felling trees is not rocket science) and you decide I'm "enamored beyond reality".
You obviously are negative beyond reality. On what basis do you pass judgement that he edits out his mistakes? Have you watched any of his work? Got any examples or are you just making stuff up for no good reason?
Yes, I'm impressed by anyone that can climb 120 feet up a tree and whack limbs off with a chain saw, one handed. I didn't mention it before, but watching him split wood is also impressive. What impresses you? My guess is nothing!
--
Jack

Kelley Johnson impresses me.
On Monday, May 21, 2018 at 7:31:08 PM UTC-4, Markem wrote:

Which one, or both?
Miss Colorado Kelley Johnson or Below Deck Kelley Johnson