More Burnt Wood Finishing-- his time a cabinet.

A while back, I posted a pic of the burnt shelves I made for the Pub my friend owns. They have this really awkward L-shape space behind the bar that nothing will fit into, so I'm making a custom open cabinet fit in the space. They like the burnt shelves so much they want the cabinet and more shelves to match.

Here's how it's going so far...

-MIKE-

WOW! That is some awesome artistic looks you have there. I remember the shelving you made, if these patterns can be made permanent it should be a match made in heaven. :)

Reply to
OFWW

Thank you.

It doesn't have quite the safe effect on plywood as it does on solid wood, but I think it still looks pretty good. Considering once it's installed and filled with bottles, nobody's going to see the plywood sections anyway, I'm ok with it.

There will be more shelves, like the previous ones, on top of this cabinet. They are being made of the same edge-glued panels as the originals.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Cool Effect Mike I have never done this. but I dabbled with something cal led Pyrography or pyrogravure which is a fancy name for wood burning I had to replace a missing panel in a small cabinet very tedious work I must say much more awkward than a Pencil or Fountain pen. Nice Work Mike rick B.

Reply to
Rick the antique guy

Nicely done! I actually like that effect a lot if done sparingly as it isn't done much. It makes the work seem more like a "feature".

Good job on getting it even, too!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I did a pure carnauba wax finish on a bass drum that a friend/colleague had burned in the way you describe. It was very artistic work. I'll see if I can find a picture of it.

Here's the burning technique I use for these projects.

-MIKE-

Thanks, Robert. It's not easy to get it even on some of these imported products. I'm not sure why. In any case, you can always sand out some of the burn to fine tune it.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Looks great! Kinda reminds me of decoupage, very popular in the 60's

Reply to
Leon

My favorite woodworker, TV Star, Entertainer, Buckin' Billy Billy Ray Smith (not really any of these things, he's actually a chainsaw guru, and has hundreds of youtube videos on cuttin', climbin' and even buckin' trees) He also sells axes and burns all his ax handles. He also burned his living room floor, and all the walls and floors in his new shed.

Anyway, he has videos of burning his new shed floors and walls, but I couldn't find them but did find this one of him burning his living room floor. If you like cuttin' and buckin' this guy is awesome. BTW, he is also a drummer, sort of, and plays the harpoon really well. He plays with his mom, who is a singer and they are pretty good. A lot of his videos have his or their music in them.

Here is a video I found of him burning his floors in the house. Also has some drumming in it, but 90% of his videos are him cuttin' wood. Find some of him climbing and you should enjoy him. The more you watch him, the better it gets. Note all his drums at the end of the video.

I watch youtube on TV instead of TV and he is generally better than anything on regular tv. He puts out at least a video a day... He is not an instructor in the least, just loves what he's been doing professionally his whole life, and it comes through in his videos. After watching 10 or 20 of them he becomes a friend you love watching.

Reply to
Jack

On 5/9/2018 4:14 PM, -MIKE- wrote: ...

There's no accounting for taste... :)

Reply to
dpb

It's not for everyone. The client loves it. Win.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I love the Pics of Your Shop Jack, a lot of similar tools and some old school stuff. I am a 4th generation woody and I have some if my Great Grandfarhers,Grandfathers and all of my Fathers tools and Equiptment. Plus all of my own machinist and woodworking tools I bought new or at yard sales. I am a just Tool junkie and shop is a bit crowded. When I am working it's in complete disaray. Well I say I've more tools than brain cells at this point. Because of all the 55 years with the finishing it's off gasses. I can't smell it much but when wisitors come in and they are taken back by the woodworks aroma. My Dad had 70 years of the same. I hope to come close on either side of that. He told me once "when You come home with all Your fingers, It was a good day". Still it's fun and "I'll go in the saddle" saw horse. At least I hope! rick B.

Reply to
Rick the antique guy

It's why my commercial ventures (as far as w'wking at least) never worked; I couldn't make myself do too many things I didn't like well enough to spend my time doing that...or at least quickly enough to make it pay. :)

The speculative house restorations in the Diamond Hill and Federal Hill districts of Lynchburg we began back in the late '60s/early '70s as the beginning of the revitalization were something else again entirely...did the interior work on several of those back to original or nearly so; hard to find 19"+ clear pine even then to replace destroyed wainscot panels or the like...most had been cut up into low-rent apartments and they had just sawn openings into walls to add entry doors, etc., etc., with no attention at all to the historic value.

When the bunch of us descended upon Lynchburg in the big hiring boom between Babcock & Wilcox (Nuclear Power Generation Division) and General Electric (mobile radio facilities), the several hundred/year new young professionals totally swamped the housing available; a bunch of about a dozen of us began by helping just one or two guys who bought one of them dirt-cheap rehab it; roughly six of us ended up doing it as a side business for five-six years.

Aren't many interiors at all, unfortunately don't have any pictures other than on old slide film have never digitized--now that's a thought.

Reply to
dpb

I was looking for a reason to try this burnt finish process and the client wanted some "barn-wood" shelves for his top shelf liquors. I told him barn-wood would be a fortune but I had an idea he might like. He loved it and now I'm doing more.

Those are some beautiful homes that actually have architectural style and discipline. So many builders around here are trying to replicate the look of those old neighborhoods with the close homes, longer than wide, and 2nd & 3rd stories.

Unfortunately, nary an architect (or at least one who got passing grades in school) was consulted. They are just behemoth, rectangular, monstrosities with five, six, seven, or eight architectural styles all thrown in a blender and spewed forth onto a lot 600sq.ft.larger than what they built on it.

It's really gross. I love seeing the neighborhoods like in your link.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I posted a few pics in different lighting of the cabinet after topcoat application.

-MIKE-

Thanks Rick. Most of my stationary tools are from the early 50's. I do have some of my Dads hand tools though, and those are older. My brother still lives in the old homestead and he has all my dads tools.

Yeah, me too. I like tools. I can actually go into any tool store and not see one thing I need. I still by stuff occasionally, but like to say my tools have tools. I love my shop though, and all my tools have a place of their own. Actually have all the drawers and cabinets I need, and it takes almost no time to put everything away when I'm done with a project. I'm getting a little old though, and not as interested in building much, particularly large projects. Aurthur Itis is not your friend...

Reply to
Jack

I like his stuff, Jack. Also, he's actually a decent drummer. A bit sloppy, time-wise, but he's just practicing and he's obviously not doing it to be a sessions guy. Nice collection of kits, too. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Here is one of him knocking down a tree close to a house. He has better climbing ones but this one has his 70+ year old Mom singing the blues, with him on drums, Harp and singing, and so on. The vids that show him knocking off the limbs as he climbs are really cool.

Here's a video of his "theme song" and a slide show of some of his stuff. If you get past the beginning, his drumming gets better, but it's him singing and playing the harpoon. Probably his Mom on the guitar.

Note his channel has almost nothing to do with his music, which is just an aside. He has some video's of climbing that are crazy. He's 100' + in 4 inches (less) of wood knocking em down. He has hundreds of videos just knocking down trees. The guy is amazing, and fearless and more enjoyable than anything on the regular TV wasteland.

Reply to
Jack

I haven't watched he whole thing yet, but something caught my eye at 2:00.

He drops a section as 2 other guys on the ground aren't even watching. The section drops what? 10, maybe 15' behind them. I guess you build up a lot of trust over time.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Now That wood chopper Youtube video Wella I don't know how He can even climb with such a Heavy "Ball Sack"

Reply to
Rick the antique guy