Rope clamping

Here's a trick my Grandfather taught me how to clamp chair legs if You do n ot have Clamps. Also I failed to illustrate that he weighted the seat to gl ue on the legs beneath it then wrapped waxpaper below the Glue Joint and f asten it wilh tape to avoid glue stains.You can also wrap rungs and legs be low them for the same purpose. Heres the link to the pic.

Rick the antique guy

We often have to think outside the box. ;~)

I have used the wax paper trick on many occasions when using the dry fit carcass of a cabinet to position mid rails on face frames during the face frame glue up.

Reply to
Leon

do not have Clamps. Also I failed to illustrate that he weighted the seat t o glue on the legs beneath it then wrapped waxpaper below the Glue Joint a nd fasten it wilh tape to avoid glue stains.You can also wrap rungs and leg s below them for the same purpose.

Similar to the wax paper trick, we used to use Vaseline when using epoxy on our Soap Box Derby cars.

For example, when we wanted to permanently affix a nut or steel mounting pl ate to the chassis, we would coat the threaded hole and bolts with Vaseline and then e poxy the parts in place using bolts as a clamp/alignment tool. Once the epoxy dried , the bolts could be removed/reinserted whenever required, sometimes hundreds of times over the life of the car.

You can also "mold" epoxy into a specific shape by coating an object with V aseline and pressing it down into the epoxy until it cures.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yep, neat. Turnbuckle concept. On the farm (old homestead), we'd tighten corner fence post bracing using a similar twist-of-a-double-wrap technique; or diagonal support for a sagging gate.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Ill have to remember that one. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

FWIW, the technical term for the "paddle between two ropes" is a "Spanish windlass".

Reply to
J. Clarke

Did you not want to indicate the technical term for the fence corner post too? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Good to Know Sonny "Spanish Windlass" I hope I can remember thay one with "the Dutchman" too I would just call a Bowtie Splice.I do remember it in my machine shop class 55 years ago now re-remembered with this site.

Reply to
Rick the antique guy

Hmmm, I always thought that was a beautiful Spanish girl that ate too many beans. (or a gabby one.)

Reply to
OFWW

That's a Hoot! OFWW That may detract from her beauty a bit but if you pinch Your nostrils, things could work out I guess. rick B.

Reply to
Rick the antique guy