OT - Man angry at Verizon hurls phones

FARGO, North Dakota (AP) -- A man who said he was fed up with his cellular phone service went to a Fargo mall and started hurling phones across a store, striking an employee and causing more than $2,000 in damage, authorities said.

Jason Perala, 22, of Fargo, told The Forum newspaper that he planned only to yell at employees at Verizon Wireless.

"Then I just lost it," he said. "I just started grabbing computers and phones and throwing them. I just destroyed the place. ... I kind of regret that I did it, but I hope my message got across."

-----------------

I hate verizon too, lol.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Ya know, I have a Verizon phone. If I ever see that guy with the glasses doing his "can you hear me now" thing, I might do something similar.

I have to admit, though, that they do subscribe to the idea of "truth in advertizing". I find myself saying "Can you hear me now" rather often when on my Verizon phone. It's usually followed by static, swearing, and so on, but at least the catch-phrase is accurate.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Reply to
sawdust

I think they're mildly amusing, about like wet gumballs, so I don't have one. Had one for a year and mostly kept it plugged into its charger, where I'd forget it.

Charlie Self "In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

mill............

a cell phone is an electronic leash.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Or a freedom machine for some folks.

It beats sitting by a phone when you're on call.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Randy responds:

Yup. So is a pager. I used to have a friend who was delighted when his boss gave him a pager. It proved his importance. Every time that damned thing buzzed, he leapt into action.

Bleah!

Charlie Self "In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

Ever notice how some folks take it as a sign of status to hide behind staff or electronic devices with built-in deniability?

I prefer to do business with people who answer their own phone. They may not be as important as the dodgers, but they sure make me feel as if I am.

Reply to
George

Were they wooden phones?

Bill.

Reply to
Bill Rogers

I was too, but it was more because it's an extra $8,000 per year for carrying it, plus "time and a half" if it goes off.

Nova

George notes:

Oddly enough, the most important people I know, in terms of business at least, are quickly available by phone to almost any caller. The prissiest twits who want to play "Mr. [or Ms} Important" and cycle you through a lot of crap tend not to be a lot of help anyway.

Charlie Self "In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

If they had been, the thread wouldn't be labelled "off topic". :-)

Doug Miller

Did you request 3 or 4 more ;-)

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

try walking around with one of these in your belt all day

JG

We've got one that gets turned on when one of us goes somewhere without the other just in case. And we take it on trips, but only a couple of neighbors and relatives have the number.

Now the idiots that use them while hurtling down the highways, ...

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Yep, that's what I've noticed.

Reply to
George

Jack Novak responds:

Louis got squat unless it went off, at which time he got straight time. Life in a non-union state for a boss who could afford the pager, but not much else.

Charlie Self "In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

Larry Blanchard responds:

Yes, like the guy this morning, blowing down Grand Central, lane closest to the double strip, cell phone to his ear and staring to his right. It got me to move ALLLLLLLLL the way to my right!

Charlie Self "In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

Can't. They've been discontinued since 2002.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Singleton

Agreed Charlie, I don't have one either. If only those people that really needed cell phones had them, it would probably not be a viable business. Used to be, people valued their privacy. Now, everyone has to "keep in touch", an idea that was pushed by the cell phone industry to sell their product.

Reply to
CW