OT: Lunar Eclipse February 20, 2008

Dave in Houston

Thanks for posting. I'll have to keep my son up (pun intended) for this one.

jc

Reply to
Joe

Enjoy. We have no chance of seeing it here. It's snowing pretty hard right now....

Reply to
Jeff

Fair and short sleeve weather here. Might try to get a photo.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

10 degrees here in Southeast Iowa, clear skies, and my wife is outside with her camera. She always gets excellent shots.

Maybe I will moon her!

Reply to
user

I hope you don't spoil my shot..LOL

The skies are incredibly clear tonight and the eclipse has already started. So has the drop in temperature..7 F already

Reply to
Robatoy

It's bloody cold here, but it looks like we'll have clear skies.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

about 25dF here in the mountains of So Cal. Cloudy with ~6 inches of new snow and more on the way. Ready for spring. shiver, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Robatoy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@q78g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

I watched it in 8F weather, first spending a half hour messing with my sister's telescope. I finally quit trying to align the thing by using the "finder" and just lined the telescope with an approximate direct line between the viewfinder and the moon. It took 30 seconds, and I had the moon in the viewfinder!

Kinda neat to watch, even if it was backwards.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Am putting a shot in ABPW (OT).

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Pretty much the same here in Baja... We sat on the beach and watched for a few hours... huge moon last night and clear sky so it was pretty dramatic..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Nice thread! I haven't been visited rec.woodworking for a long time, but deja'd my way in looking for info on router planes. I'm sort of an amateur astronomer, and spend most of my time in sci.astro.amateur, (a fine amateur astronomy group which for some months has been suffering badly from severe attacks from trolls, jerks, and nutballs.) It's fun to see the woodworkers enjoying a look at the night sky! Marty

Reply to
Marty

Marty.. I enjoy the OT stuff almost as much as the wood stuff..

I've also found that groups that discourage the OT stuff usually dry up and blow away, as groups like this keep interested folks here..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

innews: snipped-for-privacy@q78g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Finder scopes are generally worthless.

Just get a very low-power eyepiece, one that gives you a ~ 2 degree field of view to find the object and then switch to whatever magnification you want.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt