OT......Europe's Largest Solar Eclipse Since 1999 Will Plunge UK Into Darkness On 20 March

Get yer sun goggles ready.

Europe's largest solar eclipse since 1999 is set to block out as much as

90 per cent of the sun's light in some areas of the UK.

On the 20 March at 9.31am London will lose as much as 84 per cent of its sunlight while parts of Scotland such as Edinburgh will be even darker with 94 per cent of the light blocked out.

Astronomers believe the eclipse will begin in London at 8.45am, it'll then reach its maximum eclipse at 9.31am with normal service being resumed at 10.41am.

Reply to
Bod

That's an exaggeration:

blocking 90% of the sun will not block 90% of the light output

to save other's looking this up the only land mass that can see this totality is Svalbard,

tim

Reply to
tim.....

It's also Very old news.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

and the Faroe Islands

Reply to
Andy Burns

94? Thought it was 87% (see below):

This is an most interesting website:

The next one after this for the UK will be 2026, Aug 12th at 93%

But whilst not a full eclipse, it should go unnervingly dark :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

And the Faroe Islands.

Reply to
Tim Watts

its almost worth the several £k for a holiday there, but the weather in march!!!?

Reply to
dennis

I've been looking to do it for ages

but they price trips in Euro and when the pound crashed I thought I'd wait a bit

Now it's back up again I look at it this year

agreed

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Why?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

'cos the sun's light output isn't at all affected by the moon?

Reply to
Richard

If you have one, electric welding visor is ideal for viewing.

Reply to
harryagain

Damn. It'll cut back my FIT payment ;-)

Reply to
harryagain

So at what point on the Earth is it total then? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That presumably is due to the fuzzy edge of the shadow. Its notoriously hard to predict this sort of thing as the sun is not a clearly defined orb, its ragged and variable in any case. When you get totality I seem to remember being told it is because the moon is actually a bit bigger than even the outer edges of the sun as viewed from earth. Its always intrigued me how such a situation could happen apparently by accident. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Svalbard (Norway) and the Faroe Islands

Reply to
Bod

Below the video on this link, is a map of the coverage:

Bod

But we see "logarithmically", and have automatic irises. The rate of change is not that fast, probably only similar to a very dark cloud?

Reply to
newshound

ROFL

We can't accuse you of not having a good sense of humour!

:-)

Reply to
newshound

Possibly - but I still expect it to feel weird.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It was very weird last time, I remember.

OT: How many people have read Asimov's "Nightfall"?

Reply to
Bob Eager