OT... Is it just me? Sand bags in the winter.

I made several sand bags from old cotton jeans legs. Placed on the lower lathe shelf it provides added stability and excellent vibration dampening. I have also used the sand bags to weigh down glued up parts--it works well for unusual shapes as well as sandwiched ply sheets.

Reply to
Phisherman

Cars? No. Front wheel drive with all season tires.

Truck? Not sand. Four wheel drive and a couple of elevator weights bolted to the bed over the rear axle.

And yes, we've been know to get a little bit of snow in these parts (see signature).

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

I had one too, Monza with the 4 speed. Great car in snow. I had 7.00 x 13 tires and it just went anyplace. Yes, I had a toolbox in the trunk too.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Do you line the bags with plastic? I'm keen on making such sandbags, but it seems the sand would leak through the denim. We're talking worn-out jeans here; they get a little thin. And no, I wouldn't use the leg with the hole in the knee!

Do you tie or stitch them closed?

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Pick up a couple pair at Salvation Army - get exactly the size you need for sandbags. Machine sew the legs closed with several rows of stitching.

Josie

Reply to
Jois

SA? I just look in my closet!

Thanks for the info on construction.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

I did not line the bags, but I did make sure there were no holes. I stitched the legs closed using heavy-duty thread, a large needle, and thimble. I used play sand. Easy to do.

Reply to
Phisherman

YEP! Loved that little car. Loved it even more after I put hotter plugs in it so they didn't foul so much in city/winter driving. Threw the belt a time or three, just put it back on & go. It would, however, religiously burn up a set of points every 9K miles. Intended to go with a CD ignition , but traded it first.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

You know what the motto of the Otis Elevator Company is, don't you?

Good - to the last drop.

Still driving a 2WD Ranger where there's better'n twice your average snowfall.

Reply to
George

I tried this one year instead of water bags on the rim (18") of an above ground pool. Worked great, sand stayed in bags, not too heavy for me to lift, but turned out to be great pain in the neck for me to store. (To make them I moved the portable sewing machine to a table out by the pool and filled the leg bags so enough room to spare to sew the top on the machine. Seemed about right, bags not overstuffed so they still were a bit bendable or conformable.) Ended up (year or two years later) switching over to these inexpensive plastic clamps from hardware store, been using them several years and squirt them with WD40, store in plastic woven bag, and they are ready to go in the fall. Much lighter than sandbags.

Josie

Reply to
Jois

B a r r y wrote in news:ZibYe.333$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com:

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet... Rubicon?

I've got a 2000 Cherokee w/ limited slip Chrysler 8.25. Took a chance on some ProComp All Terrains. So far, nothing Colorado has thrown my way has slowed me down.

I'm now lobbying the Guv'nur for the HOV lanes to become "Jeep Only" during blizzards... :)

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

I just add more fuel to the transport tanks if they're not already full...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Sorry Jen we have four seasons in SoCal. Spring Summer Fire Flood

Dave

Teamcasa

2005 Toyota Tacoma - TRD Off-road.

My Wrangler has LS, but no locker.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Throw a few dozen bags up there to hold on the roof. After the storm cut holes in the bags and you have instant landscaping all around the house.

Reply to
Jimmy

Oops, not much difference but this was meant to go to alt.home.repair.

Reply to
Jimmy

They are used in stucco as a finish. Between 1/8" and 1/4" sized white silica rock.

Reply to
Jimmy

They actually come is sizes as small as course sand. I would hate to see a house that was stuccoed with rocks the size of a nickel. DIY places rarely carry the finer stucco chips. You need to go to a commercial concrete outfit for them.

Reply to
Jimmy

You can partially fill old jean legs with ice melt as well and toss on the roof in winter to unplug frozen downspouts or prevent ice dams.

Reply to
Jimmy

sometimes weight is not enough. Our problem is ice, because of our high number of sunny days in the winter once snow is driven on once it becomes a sheet of ice that does not go away. Even footprints in snow become instant ice here. You can't step in the same spot twice unless you want to end up on your ass. You can pull into a parking lot here on warm tires and find all four spinning in holes when you are done shopping. One giant ice rink here for 4-5 months.

Reply to
Jimmy