Bulk sand bags - capacity ?

Can anyone tell me the volume of sharp sand held in those (1 tonne?) bulk sand baggy thingies?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

erm..... yep, it ranges between 3/4 to 1 1/4 tonne depending on state, ie wet or dry. i dont ever think they get weighed by the supplier but i have always seemed to get more that required.

Reply to
Gav

tonne?)

state,

No I want to know the volume not the weight ! (but thanks anyway)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

The message from "Andrew Mawson" contains these words:

According to my ancient reference 1 ton of sand is 0.83 cubic yards.

Reply to
Roger

A cubic metre surely? They appear to be 1mx 1m x 1m and roughly hold a metric tonne? Seems logical to me anyway.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Logical but incorrect.

If they were filled with water then 1 cubic meter would weigh 1 Tonne (approx).

Sand is made from rock and is more dense.. but isn't packed solid.

So 1 tonne of sand varies in volume depending on the grain size and/or shape and if its wet as the water fills the gaps. I estimate that it would be about three quarters of a cubic meter at most and maybe a lot less.

Reply to
dennis

The message from "The Medway Handyman" contains these words:

The one I've got in the back garden reckons max weight 800kg. I'm too idle to go measure it!

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "The Medway Handyman" contains these words:

They may vary in size. The part empty one I have sitting outside isn't even square. The mouth measures about 33.5" x 32" and it stands 32" high. By my calculation that is only 0.74 of a cubic yard but that doesn't take into account the way the sacks bulge.

Reply to
Roger

In message , "dennis@home" writes

That's about right. There is a handy table here:

Which indicates around .7 - .75 cubic metre/tonne. Well near enough given the accuracy with which this is measured anyway.

Reply to
chris French

They hold a cubic metre, but they are not 1X1X1. They are 1m high, but usually about 1.35 wide each way.

To the OP: assume a cubic metre for measuring up purposes, I use about a hundred tonnes per year of sand and my working out is usually about right (for block paving - the sand is trammeled at 50mm deep (using 3X2 timbers laid flat) and I get about 20 sq metres per bag)

Reply to
Phil L

min 850kg dry weight.

I think sand is about twice as heavy as water, which makes it about .4 cu meters or so?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher