OT... Is it just me? Sand bags in the winter.

How many here use sand bags for weight in their car or truck in the winter? For fifteen years I have been using bags of small stucco chips instead. They are cheaper than the dirty sandbags sold around here.

50 pound bag of stucco chips is $3.50 They don't mess up your vehicle even if they spill. Nice clean white rocks easy to clean up. They don't freeze into a solid lump. They don't get your hands all filthy if you need to throw some under the tires for traction. And they REALLY provide traction, way better than the dirty frozen sand.

Best of all in spring you can use them for landscaping in your yard.

So why after fifteen years of harping on this am I the only one using them.

Reply to
Jimmy

Because all we care about in here is wood related things, not sandbags.

Reply to
BillyBob

Because the rest of us live down in Florida where hurricanes are more of a concern than snow.

Reply to
Upscale

Never heard of stucco chips. Is it made from flaking stucco or more like cow chips?

Reply to
Gerald Ross

No, I have limited slip rear axle.

If that's not enough, I can activate 4WD and my electrically locking rear differential.

Reply to
B a r r y

I keep some 4' sections of hard maple in the back of my pickup.

If I were carrying a bag of anything, it'd be chicken grit. Sharp, and instant traction....

Reply to
George

My chauffeur never asked for my authorization to buy them.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I just put an 8' piece of steel on the front of my truck in the snow, says "Western" on it. What I haven't figured out is if I am required to where my cowboy hat when driving with it on. Don't seem to have any trouble with snow what so ever though....

knothead

Reply to
Knothead

Limited slip and a locker? Fanatic....;-)

Reply to
Knothead

Not me. I use 5 gallon buckets. Fill 'em with water and they're about

40lb each.

-j

Reply to
Joe User

When I had a rear-wheel drive, I used to carry one-gallon plastic jugs of cat litter (the ones you see in supermarkets). It added some weight and if I found myself stuck on ice somewhere, it made for an excellent traction mechanism (just pour it out). The one-gallon size made it easier to work with.

However ... cat litter does make a real mess if you get it on your boots and track it into the house. Stucco chips sound like they would have been a better option.

Heck .. we live in New Mexico now. We don't get enough ice down here to consider the problem anymore!

Jack

snipped-for-privacy@the.sh> How many here use sand bags for weight in their car or truck in the winter?

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

I see. So you have need for more than a couple of sandbags.

I'll take the snow, thank you anyway.

Reply to
George Max

There are a few of us who live in sunny California where the weather in most places consists of two seasons. Warmer sunny weather and Cooler sunny weather. Occasionally we do have that strange liquid stuff falling from the skies which so confuses some people that they forget how to drive all together. :)

~Jen

Reply to
Jennifer Juniper

Never heard of "stucco chips". What they hell are they normally used for? Here in CA we prefer our stucco on the walls.

--

******** Bill Pounds
Pounds on Wood

1) I never read what you wrote about them before. 2) I never heard of stucco chips before and have no idea where to get them, or what sort of dip to serve with them. 3) I live in MD now, but when I lived in NE Ohio I just drove through the snow and never worried about redistributing the weight.
Reply to
fredfighter

Stucco chips are his name for decorative landscaping stones, about the size of a nickel, usually in come in bags at DIY stores. In this case, he prefers the white stones.

John

Reply to
John T

In this context, they are for when your car gets stucco in the snow and ice. You pour some in your tire tracks to get unstucco.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

Last time I had a rear-wheel-drive car I kept 4 or 5 cinder blocks in the trunk during the winter.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

I use them and they work great. I stack maybe four over each of the drive wheels. Only problem is, I can's see over the hood then. Maybe it is a better idea for RWD vehicles.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Harrumph! In my earlier days, carried two or three old tombstones in the trunk of my '53 Chev.(grandad was sexton for our country cemetery and they were old ones that had been replaced). Carried a toolbox or a couple concrete blocks in the front end of my '62 Corvair just to help keep the front end glued down so I could steer it in the winter. Only time I ever got it stuck was showing off, tried driving over/through a ridge of plowed snow in a parking lot, got high-centered and had to drag enough snow out from under the car to get the wheels back on the ground! Later on had (4) 50lb. Otis elevator test weights, about 8" x 8" x 6" steel with a built in handle, in my '64 Falcon Sprint. More recently, (5) 70lb. tubes of "traction grit". They fit nicely between wheelwells in my 2WD p/u, and if really necessary open them and spread some very nice sharp cornered traction aid. Between those and snow tires, if I can't get where I'm going, got no business going there!

Reply to
Norman D. Crow