OT: Interesting

I'm curious--what was your objection to compulsory military service? It's not like you were going to go to Vietnam or anything.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I know that question wasn't aimed at me, but I'm here to tell you that I have had the pleasure of hanging with some new yawkers on their turf on a few occasions and found it very pleasant. It truly is a great city. One avoids known areas just like there is some human garbage across the river at Port Huron MI and on this side of the river. I love the cabbies in NY... what a different breed.

Reply to
Robatoy

Quote from ancient Roman (I forget who):

"Religion is believed true by the common people, false by the wise, and useful by the rulers."

The more things change, ...

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

eighteen, has no heart. Anyone who isn't conservative when he's thirty- five has no brain.

Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

Apparently this quotation is mistakenly attributed to Churchill.

See:

GarageWoodworks

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 22:46:16 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett" scrawled the following:

So now we need liberal humor to make the grade here, do we?

Reread the thread, Lew. There's considerably more.

Huh? Manhattan is NY, isn't it?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Is there another kind?

Reply to
Robatoy

On 02 Mar 2010 11:44:58 GMT, the infamous Han scrawled the following:

I barely squeaked by going to Vietnam. I was moving back from school in Aridzona when my Order to Report for Induction Physical came. I called in and told them I was moving back to California and they told me to go ahead and do so, then register at the local draft board there. Luckily, the local board in San Diego had their quota and I was put on hold. I missed going to Nam in the autumn of '72, just as the Powers That Be were starting to NOT support the troops there. Hey, maybe that was when I picked up on the damage which could be done by liberals. They directly caused thousands of deaths in Nam by cutting off funding. Without funding, the troops had no ammo, no air cover, and no artillery cover, so they died.

But you're -not- afraid of the vast and powerful Jersey mafia? Wow!

Fiscally conservative? There's hope for you yet, Han. ;) I'm a liberally moderate conservative.

I was there for one day in 1998. I went up the Empire State building, traveled the subways down to Battery Park, took the ferry out to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty (I looked up her skirt and was amazed at how large her nuts were.) With the exception of the people working in whatever place I went, nobody gave eye contact at all. My buddy and I were laughing about it on the subway. The city was a lot cleaner, less noisy, and less crowded than the movies show. But I far prefer tiny cities and country living.

What NYC experience do you wish people to have?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

---------------------------- Not in many years.

At one time or another, spent time not only in NYC but also of all places Fairlawn, NJ.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Opiate of the masses?

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave In Texas

What's the Picasso quote? Something like "Good artists borrow; great artists steal"?

Sorta like "Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan."

Reply to
Steve

"J. Clarke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news7.newsguy.com:

At the time, it wasn't really thought a useful thing by many. It has since been changed to a completely voluntary military.

Reply to
Han

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Anything they want. I is a very vibrant place, and if you don't like it on this block, or are just curious, it is different on the next block.

Reply to
Han

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:4b8d81df$0$32107 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Hey Lew, what did you have to do in Fair Lawn, NJ??

Reply to
Han

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 12:44:02 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

Sure, liberals are good fruit for fermenting (and fomenting) humor, especially when they take themselves seriously.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

------------------------- Was involved with the spin off of American Can for a few months.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Being required to do something not useful doesn't seem to me to be a very good reason to leave one's country.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Wasn't it a King of Sweden who said that about communism?

Reply to
Bob Martin

"J. Clarke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

That was the alternative.

My reason for leaving was to earn a PhD in the area I had studied, while getting paid as a tech at Harvard. The initial purpose was to do that and then return to Holland after ~5 years. That part didn't pan out. So far it has paid off for me and my family. I think I contributed to science too, for work performed in the US. The US got something too: Me and my Dutch education and training, plus my wife's contributions and now my childrens' efforts.

Reply to
Han

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:4b8dd218$0$14670 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

American Can?? Google is no help ... But I hope it was either or both fruitful and enjoyable.

Reply to
Han