OT - How Unique!

I know I'm going to get raspberries from many here, but this IS my theory...... Toyota has decided to allow GM to regain some of their foothold in the market. Those guys have been in bed together for quite a long time and many projects (Tundra, Matrix/Vibe etc...) Industry insiders tell me that gas pedal issue is nowhere near the catastrophe Toyota has made it out to be. I think they are helping out their GM buddies. Call me crazy.

IMHO the big deal is that Toyota "has" a recall. When I was working for an Olds dealer in 1986 we built a new dealership near a new Toyota dealership. Dealers hold on to warranty replacement parts until a factory rep examines them or gives the "ok" to scrap the parts. When we and the Toyota dealership had been in our new locations for 3 or so months I visited the Toyota parts manager and noticed his "warranty bin". IIRC there were 4 or 5 warranty parts, my warranty bin probably had 80-90 defective parts. Toyota and GM have been in business together since the come back of the Nova in the early 80's and the Geo car line that Chevrolet used to sell. AAMOF GM was building one of the Honda models at one time, although it was sold directly by Isuzu to Honda. Isuzu had the same vehicle but GM built that vehicle for Isuzu. Long ago Isuzu built the small Chevy Luv pickups, some time in the

90's that reversed and GM built Isuzu pickups. They are all in bed with each other in some way shape or form but it is not news to hear about an American car builder with recall problems, it is out of the ordinary for Toyota or Honda to have recalls at all. IIRC this recall is supposed to cost Toyota $240,000,000.00. That is a mere drop in the bucket compared to what a typical GM recall would cost. I would speculate to say that GM probably would not have been in trouble at all had it not spent so much money on correcting something that should not have been a problem to start with.
Reply to
Leon

I hope you out last the truck... At the rate you are going you will have it

25 years before you reach 100K.

If at the

Ford certainly makes a good looking truck but IMHO they are spending more on looks than dependability and that is probably the single reason why the imports are starting to gain on the big truck market. I absolutely hated the looks of the new 07 Tundras. I shopped Ford, GMC, Chevrolet and Toyota. I have only owned GM trucks and was totally turned off by both GMC and Chevrolet. The backs seats were to up right to be comfortable and the back doors wiggled visibly on the highway. Our 97 Chevy was great but my wife could not get comfortable in the 07 GM trucks. I had about decided to not buy a new truck but went ahead and test drove the Tundra. I almost knew before getting out of the lot for a test drive that I would probably but the Tundra, it felt that much better. I wanted quality for a change, so far no disappointment.

Reply to
Leon

I came to the same conclusion. It was reported that the problem was gradual. The pedal progressively got "stickier" over time. In addition, it was said that the cause was friction between two parts of the linkage caused by condensation.

Back when drivers knew how their cars worked and paid attention to things that changed, they (or at least I) would have raised the hood, sprayed on a little WD-40, and repeated as necessary :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

But the part is apparently enclosed. Some word out about a "fix" being the insertion of a metal shim to provide clearance on vehicles "in the field".

Reply to
clare

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 12:19:16 -0600, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

Condensation (+ rust?) was apparently the culprit.

"Toyota dealers in the U.S. have been swamped with calls from concerned owners but had few answers as the recalls snowballed. Elkhart, Ind.-based CTS Corp., which made the parts, is cranking out redesigned gas pedal assemblies that fix the problem, which is caused by condensation around an arm attached to the pedal and springs that send the pedal back to the idle position.Toyota dealers in the U.S. have been swamped with calls from concerned owners but had few answers as the recalls snowballed. Elkhart, Ind.-based CTS Corp., which made the parts, is cranking out redesigned gas pedal assemblies that fix the problem, which is caused by condensation around an arm attached to the pedal and springs that send the pedal back to the idle position."

-- Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. -- George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 12:24:06 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. -- George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 10:32:51 -0600, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

Toyota denying it? 2.4 million vehicles being recalled DID make the news, guys. I got my notice, too, but my pedal has 2.5" of clearance from my floor mat so it wasn't a life-threatener. We'll see what comes of it. My throttle feel hasn't changed in 2 years, and that's something I would have noticed.

Yes it is. It's bad news, every time, to somebody.

-- Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. -- George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 14:14:03 -0500, the infamous Phisherman scrawled the following:

Perhaps, but I wouldn't trade my Tundra for ten F-series trucks. I ran my old truck ('90 F-150) for 17 years and was absolutely astounded when I drove a new one. What a difference! Then I tried the Tacoma (not bad, but hated the wimpy brake system) and the Tundra. I instantly fell head over heels for the Tundra. It didn't hurt that the vehicle I bought was $14k less than the equivalent F-series.

-- Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. -- George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:09:06 -0600, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

At 6k a year, my Tundra oughta outlast me, too.

Dittoes on all the concepts and realizations you stated above, 'cept I've never owned (and never will) a Chebby truck.

-- Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. -- George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yabbut...

I still recall fondly standing INSIDE the engine compartment of an old F150 straight 6 doing a complete tuneup including valve adjustments...

Deep sigh...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Tacoma frame rust-out.

Reply to
Steve

After years of driving Volvos (including the 1800S and ES!), I switched to Toyotas. We've been quite happy with them. Maybe not exciting cars, but certainly drivable.

Then I was seduced by a gloriously yellow ("DOT yellow") Chevy Colorado. I liked that truck -- it was the right size, had some amenities, and it was YELLOW! But there were some niggling little things, like the radio antenna. It was just about 1/4 inch too near the windshield for the wiper blade to clear when you scrubbed the windshield. And the parking brake peddle snagged my cuff EVERY time I got in the damn truck...

But the real kicker came in the three months immediately prior to the warranty expiration.

Month 3: replaced the heater blower motor (under warranty).

Month 2: replaced the heater blower motor (under warranty).

Month 1: replaced the heater -- bet you thought I was going to write "blower moter," didnt you? -- control switch.

Month 0: replaced the truck. I'm back in a Toyota. It's red.

Able to haul a lot of wood and machinery in that, too!

Reply to
Steve

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 21:03:55 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone scrawled the following:

Ditto, next to my 312 V-8 on the '61 F-100, my very first truck.

-- Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. -- George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The bad news was that you *had* to do frequent tune-ups. Good riddance coils and points!

Reply to
krw

Anyone want to buy a used points file?

;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

How about a dwell meter and timing light??? Or a tachometer, even?????

Reply to
clare

I think my brother has my old timing light & dwell meter.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I did not have the incentive to continure with GM trucks this time aroundalthough the GMC I looked at was offered at $5k less than the Toyota. My employeer sold GMC when I bought GMC, great price, and I looked better buying what I sold, so to speak. My 97 Chevy was $3500. below dealer invoice using my bank of credit dollars on my GM CCard.

Reply to
Leon

The Colorado and Canyon days are numbered.

One of the parts that GM refuses to build better, I stocked at any given time probably 2-3 hundred blower motors.

Naw, LOL you were at your quota.

Given enough time you certianly would have replaced the alternator, I stocked close to 1K of assorted numbers. And the AC compressor, those were ordered by the hundreds per part number. When GM dropped the rebuildable A6 axial compressor and when with the radial in the mid 70's reliability failed.

Reply to
Leon

Yabbut they have not built them that way for a few decades now.

Reply to
Leon