Unique Furniture Shop

My wife spotted an ad for these folks in some kinda designer magazine. I checked out the website and was just blown away. I have seen this kind of thing done before as onesy's and twosy's. But nothing done on this kind of scale. Great concept and some unique, heavy duty furniture.

Check it out.

Lee Michaels

"Lee Michaels" wrote

building materials, etc. Most of this stuff would have been converted to firewood or chipped up for mulch. As far as I am concerned, this is the ultimate recycling activity.

Major props to these guys for looking at old, unwanted trees and seeing beautiful furniture in them.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Really nice stuff. Many times when you see this type of stuff it is impressive in terms of size or shape and texture but often not much design astehetic. This stuff is pretty consistently well designed. Really inspiring actually. I didn't (yet) take the time to see if this is a new genre with many contributing artists or just the work of one artisan or shop. Regardless, they have really pulled together some nice components in terms of re-use, heaft, rustic materials and useful and pleasing designs.

This makes me want to start crusing the salvage yards for raw material.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Yea . I like the bold designs. I don't see any swings. I wonder if I should design another. Arthur

swing plans

and watching the slide show...what a nice break. To have the time, to have the time.......

Reply to
Robatoy

and watching the slide show...what a nice break. To have the time, to have the time.......

When I came home, my wife was watching the slide show. It goes on and on. Talk about an abundance of resources, wood wise.

And their bandsaw makes Leon's Laguna look like a little cheapie!

Again, I am blown away by the scale of those slabs. How do you plane or sand them? Or even move them around the shop? Can you see delivering and installing one of those conference tables?

Think you could make a natural looking countertop out of one of those slabs? Ot a bartop?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote

Really nice stuff. Many times when you see this type of stuff it is impressive in terms of size or shape and texture but often not much design astehetic. This stuff is pretty consistently well designed. Really inspiring actually. I didn't (yet) take the time to see if this is a new genre with many contributing artists or just the work of one artisan or shop. Regardless, they have really pulled together some nice components in terms of re-use, heaft, rustic materials and useful and pleasing designs.

This makes me want to start crusing the salvage yards for raw material.

-----------------------------------

I have seen a number of one and two man shops that have made stuff like this. We used to have a guy in town who used to harvest big tree stumps from the beaches of the Pacific ocean and make some very impressive coffee tables. He used to go through sanders at a record rate. He bought them ten at a time.

But these guys are really different. Not only do they have some good designs, like you said. But they can actually go out and harvest the raw tree and cut into any shape they want. They have a big shop with some hefty size tools. Forklifts, a BIG bandsaw, lots of working room in a well lighted facility and a bunch of employees. This is definitely not a small, one man, garage based shop.

It also points out that this kind of endevour can succeed. A nice enough product, extremely politically correct (super GREEN!) presented to the right people, etc., etc. They look like they are doing well.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

A bartop? Certainly. A harder working countertop, not so much. A decorative island could work in some settings. But a bartop could be very nice. Especially if you found the right curve/shape and built the rest of it to 'work' with the flow. I had the pleasure of building a bar once after the customer picked out a slab of Paradis granite and had it cut along the large, dark, snake-like 'S' pattern which was in the slab naturally. Just bloody gorgeous, if I say so myself. It's nice when the client has no budget constraints. (Curved raised panel doors made from cherry were a fortune, but the guy did a beautiful job on those.)

Robatoy

It's like they say about experimental aviation. "How do you make a million in experimental aviation? - start with 2!!"

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do