OT: Help please. "Intellisync Corp" popup

No, that is not how that works, you get to evaluate and use it for 60 days, IIRC if you register it you get it for an additional 30 days. Then if you decide that it is not for you for what ever reason then you simply don't continue to use it. You do not have to pay for it if you don't continue to use it.

You are assuming that you may not feel that it is worth $100. You might find that it is worth $200 to you.

After having used it almost daily for about three years I would have to think before paying $300 but certainly not $100. I actually bought 5 licenses at a considerable discount off the single price. I did use the entire evaluation period as I was being very picky about what I wanted out of a file manager. I could find no hitches or anything wrong with the program which is something I cannot say about the other 15-20 file managers I tried out when looking for a replacement for Power Desk. After seeing what it would do, my father, wife, and son wanted it on their computers. Swingman bought a copy too.

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Now you've got me curious ...

Reply to
Han

LOL, does not hurt to look and putter. If you like file managers that can configured many many many ways....

And I might add, spend some time with it. You can get it to work in short order but to learn what all it can do takes some time. This is not one of those programs that you mess with for an hour or two and you know everything about it and what it will.

And as I mentioned earlier you can save unlimited set ups for your specific needs.

Reply to
Leon

One last thing,, maybe. ;~) And I do not earn a commission, the screen shots do not show it but you can save tabs to take you to your most visited directories instantly, you do not have to hunt them down in the tree unless you just want to.

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I installed it, but I did 1 search for files with vizio in thr name and that was excruciatingly slow. Now the program is obviously not optimized for that, but my "Search Everything" is much, much faster ...

Will work it more ...

Reply to
Han

I create shortcuts in IE which I leave on my desktop for that. It works for file folders or URLs (web pages). Very handy!

Reply to
Bill

All well and good, *UNTIL* you have several files with different extensions, but the same base name -- you _can't_tell_ which is which.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

All well and good, *UNTIL* you have several files with different extensions, but the same base name -- you _can't_tell_ which is which.

========== It could be said you didn't name your files very well.

Would you name a text file on fixups to do, around the house, the same as a photograph of a repair to be made? Not likely with 256 characters to name things with. (PITA to read the whole name though)

"house fixups_text.txt" LOL

Reply to
Eric

Or, somebody e-mailed a file with the same base name as something you already have.

Or, more than one person uses the machine, and wasn't aware of the other file.

Maybe the 'honey do' list, the spreadsheet of the purchases needed for each project, and the directory of pictures of the results.

Yup. *UNTIL* somebody imports it into Word to to make a large-print hard- copy, and saves "house fixups-text.doc"

Windows will also out-and-out *lie* to you about the case of the letters in file names under some circumstances.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

It is not uncommon for a program, actually many programs, to periodically automatically back up an open file that you are working on. It uses the same file name with a different extension. Whether you do or do not name your files very well is a moot point.

Reply to
Leon

The "type" is normally shown, which is what Windows will do with it if it's (double) clicked.

Reply to
krw

Or, somebody e-mailed a file with the same base name as something you already have.

Or, more than one person uses the machine, and wasn't aware of the other file.

Maybe the 'honey do' list, the spreadsheet of the purchases needed for each project, and the directory of pictures of the results.

Yup. *UNTIL* somebody imports it into Word to to make a large-print hard- copy, and saves "house fixups-text.doc"

Windows will also out-and-out *lie* to you about the case of the letters in file names under some circumstances.

==============

The first few points may be moot as operating systems would tell you if a file has a dup name before saving. Extension shown on the file, or not won't matter. It will replace it or warn you.

As for the rest of the rattle, I always have extensions showing because I need to know what type of file it is. I couldn't klive like that but I am OCD when it comes to organizational things like that.

Wife worked in a big insurance industry and they did everything in Word. Databases, spreadsheets, photo albums etc... I couldn't even listen to the tech talk. It drove me insane to hear people working like that. It's an old carry over from WOrst-Perfect where the word processor becomes the operating system.

The fine print... () uncheck here to not download and permanently install our quick acchole, in-your-face toolbar, that only takes up 10%** of your screen realestate!

**based on having screen space left for the user
Reply to
Eric

Read *carefully*. I said 'base name'. Yes, if the _entire_ name is identical, you'll get the over-write warning. But _not_ if they have different extensions, with the extension hidden. Say you have a worksheet with the schedule for the wedding ("wedding.xls") and somebody emails you their batch of pictures from the wedding ("wedding.zip") No over- write warning, just to files with the same name.

Me, I have 'CDO' -- it's like OCD, but 'with the letters in the RIGHT order!'

I know what I'm doing, I always have extensions showing -- the MS 'associations' are useless -- I have several programs that use the _same_ extension for their own file types.

I also make all system/hidden files visible, because I want to -see- what all is there.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

First thing I do when someone asks me to 'help out' with their computer.

Reply to
Swingman

I don't have a solution for you but I too have been bombarded with =3D CONGRATULATIONS, YOU WON Does anyone know how I can remove this ? I have a Mac with a Safari browser. Thanks, Smitty ######################################

Reply to
papadoo1

Read *carefully*. I said 'base name'. Yes, if the _entire_ name is identical, you'll get the over-write warning. But _not_ if they have different extensions, with the extension hidden. Say you have a worksheet with the schedule for the wedding ("wedding.xls") and somebody emails you their batch of pictures from the wedding ("wedding.zip") No over- write warning, just to files with the same name.

Me, I have 'CDO' -- it's like OCD, but 'with the letters in the RIGHT order!'

I know what I'm doing, I always have extensions showing -- the MS 'associations' are useless -- I have several programs that use the _same_ extension for their own file types.

I also make all system/hidden files visible, because I want to -see- what all is there.

Reply to
Josepi

Are you, also, a member of DAM (Mothers Against Dyslexia)?

-------------

Reply to
Josepi

Check your network card driver setup and see if the TCP/IP has a manual IP address inserted into it. They should all be on "automatic" and then assigned by your provider. Most simple browser redirector. They give you what you want eventually but know what you browse and can inject anything or log it.

--------

I don't have a solution for you but I too have been bombarded with = CONGRATULATIONS, YOU WON Does anyone know how I can remove this ? I have a Mac with a Safari browser. Thanks, Smitty ######################################

Reply to
Josepi

Nope. I do, however support DAMN -- that's "Nude Mothers Against Dyslexia" They get lots of things backwards.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

DAMM - Drunks Against Mad Mothers

Reply to