OT: Help please. "Intellisync Corp" popup

Sorry for the OT post but you guys know more than most.

IE ver 8.

Lately, I've been hammered by the pop-up blocker telling me that "the website wants to run the default file description string from Intellisync Corporation". EVERY WEBSITE. EVERY TIME.

I've Googled it and it appears to have something to do with mobil phone apps. I don't got no apps.

Any help?

Thanks a heap,

-Zz "Zz Yzx" rhymes with "physics"; or " Isaacs" if you prefer.

Zz Yzx

Microsoft's Security Essentials. It's free and pretty good.

Note: A complete scan of your system may take from 12 to 20 hours.

Reply to
HeyBub

loaded from Intellisync for mobile phone synchronization.

Reply to
Nova

Reply to
Leon

Did you at any time have Yahoo Autosync installed--it's Intellisync based and would have installed the DLL. If so, see if you can uninstall autosync.

If that fails try Microsoft Security Essentials. It isn't very thorugh but it's free.

If that doesn't find anything, try Malwarebytes and Prevx .

If they don't work it's time to try to find somebody at Nokia who knows what's going on (Nokia bought out Intellisync a while back).

Just as a history note, Intellisync in its original form existed to synchronize Microsoft Outlook contact information and appointments and whatnot with the original Palm Pilot and its descendants. Was actually a pretty good product. The developers branched out to support other devices, and the Palm market kind of went away, hence the eventual takeover by Nokia.

Reply to
J. Clarke

AVAST is another free, but effective antivirus. I have used it for a couple of years now and it does a bang up job, and is updated sometimes twice a day. It has great detection, and in the last two+ years has given me no false hits.

As noted above, scans can take a long time. Hang with it though as if this is a virus in your boot sector, once it finishes its scan, the program will need you to reboot so it can scan your start up files. Then it will finish up.

No antivirus/spyware is 100%, and some pick up things others won't. Don't be afraid of the free stuff (remember though, they *love* an donation or actual purchase!) as it turns out most of the free stuff like AVAST, AVG, and Trend Micro test nearly as good or better than Norton and McAfee.

They also take less resources from your machine, and if you delete them, they are gone. Just try and get rid of Norton..... I have had it on twice on two different machines, and it can't even uninstall itself. There are bomb fragments all over the machine when you uninstall, and if you don't run a registry cleaner it will still loads remnants (or at least try to) of the program.

McAfee..... two commercial versions later, and too many false positives to count. Both programs are bloated larger than the Hindenburg, and while they test out well in most cases, you will find the tests are run on newer machines with a lot of available resources. If your machine is older, say more than a couple of years, those two programs will slow your machine considerably.

Good luck, Zz. It sounds like this is an easy fix.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I second Robert's comments, AVAST free is very good, McLaughee and SNortin are both bloated and have a history of false positives. If it is a boot sector virus, have it remove it, save your data elsewhere, and go for a full reinstall though, they are just downright nasty.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Thanks for the responses. I found the problem, thanks to J. Clarke.

Over a month ago, I installed a program that linked my Quicken bill-pay reminders to Outlook. I never got around to configuring it. And why it only started causing the pop-up issue 2-3 days ago is a mystery to me.

Anyway, I unistalled the program and all is well.

Thanks again.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

I used AVG for many years. They kept wanting me to upgrade to a paid subscription. It used to be really good and used often for a cheap business application. When I couldn't continue to get the free version, even though they promised it. I tried to erase it from my computer. Then it whined and complained and said if I really, really wanted a free version, they would let me have it. Assuming that was true, they lied to me about it being free. I went and looked on line and found out it had become very bloated, resource hungry and not anywhere as good as it used to be. That made up my mind.

I went looking. I found AVAST. They have a free version and a paid version. And they don't harass you if you choose the free version. It works good. No problems of any kind from it. Another vote for AVAST. After many happy years with AVG, I am an AVAST man. AVG drove me away.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

My AVG expires in November and I'd already decided to bail ... enough is enough.

They remind me of Intuit or Corel.

Reply to
Swingman

You also could try Norton Power Eraser, it got rid of a persistant bit of malware that I had trouble with in the past. It was a free download on Norton's site.

Reply to
Markem

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out, and glad to be of service.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Ditto. I moved from AVG to Avast, which _really_ slowed my computer, then to Microsoft Security Essentials.

-- Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I don't touch anything Norton anymore.

Try removing the trialware from your system. I had to format my HDD to get rid of it a few years back. Worst virus I have ever had and harder to get rid of and it slowed my system quite noticeably. Maybe they have smartened up after the bad press they got for that one.

------

Reply to
Josepi

Malwarebytes and Avast are both pretty good freebees. (and don't take any 12 hours if you are at all up to date)

But Viper does better and is not at all expensive. It found the Chinese trogan on my system when all else failed.

Ya got serious problems there mate. You need serious tools.

Richard

Ah, so it wasn't "malware," it was "malapplication."

Still, prudence dictates a robust virus and malware checker.

Reply to
HeyBub

Wait a sec, the wording of your reply makes it sound like moving from AVG to Avast slowed down your computer. Clarify?

Reply to
Steve Turner

No kidding ... inquiring minds.

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:0uqdnb2tMMQHSdrTnZ2dnUVZ_j- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Avira rules. So says David Lipman, and I do trust him.

Reply to
Han

It did, but not as much as I had remembered. Avast cut my comp speed a bit, and I had to remove Spybot Search and Destroy, too. My comp really slowed with Spybot's TeaTimer program--a 30% drop in computer speed. Ghastly! I had used both for a time, neither happily, and a friend suggested MSE, which I've been very happy with. I removed SSAD first, then later replaced Avast with MSE.

So, I'm using MSE realtime and Advanced System Care weekly. What else, if anything, do I need, condomwise, guys and girls?