Help please? OT

The listing has changed on my opening menu.

Instead of things coming under a header, the are all listed in one err list.

Any help to put it right would be very welcome.

sorry I don't know how else to explain it:)

Reply to
Ophelia

Not quite sure what you are talking about but:

Many people just leave computers on all the time. Even still one would benefit from a reboot occasionally. If your's is acting odd, first line of defense is a reboot.

You want to do a cold start, meaning completely shut down your computer to OFF, not just "sleep" or whatever. Let sit a minute or two so the HD will completely stop spinning, then turn it on again and wait while it boots up.

That's the "first line of defense" and will often solve those odd problems.

Try it and good luck. Let us know. Ps- Good morning and Happy Mom's Day too. :-D

Reply to
Gary

   It would help to know what operating system you are using and which menu is messed up . As Gary said , a cold reboot might fix it . Be aware that the newer OS's may need to be unplugged from the power outlet to completely turn off - W10 is that way . It never actually turns off , just goes to sleep .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

It would help to know what operating system you are using and which menu is messed up . As Gary said , a cold reboot might fix it . Be aware that the newer OS's may need to be unplugged from the power outlet to completely turn off - W10 is that way . It never actually turns off , just goes to sleep .

Snag

===

Terry, it has been off all night. I did reboot it just now though and left it off for a wee while. No change.

I have another problem now though:( The windows live mail icon disappeared from my desktop. I managed to find the prog but the icon won't go back on.

Next time I couldn't get on at all. D. managed to find the prog and I am on now, but I can't save it. It seems they are trying to get me to download Win10.

Oh dear. Sorry to be a nuisance. I guess I will post when and if I can.

Thanks very much for yours and Gary's responses though.

Reply to
Ophelia

  You might have to do a "restore" on it . It resets everything back to an earlier date , you have some selection of the date . The problem is if as suggested by others you have a virus , they usually like to hide in the restore files so ... In a case like that , I have the means to pull that hard drive and scan it with another computer . You may not have that option ... There should be an option in the boot menu to restore , if that works and you can , download a copy of Malware Bytes , and run it , followed by a scan with your antivirus program . If you're using Avast A/V , they have an option to do a pre-boot scan , which can often catch and clean stuff that can't be accessed while the OS is running .   Oh , and also as suggested , turn off automatic updates . Those ba%*^$ds at M$ are and will try to force us all onto Win10 . Their new business model is apparently to make us "rent" software that used to be "purchased" thus insuring a revenue stream .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Are you saying you rented Windows 10? :)

Reply to
Bruce

  No , I'm smarter than you .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

But I didn't rent Windows 10 either. Maybe we're both smart?

Reply to
Bruce

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Yes, Office.

Reply to
Bruce

I have Windows 10, and I didn't ever have any problem with switching over, when I first got it. No big learning curve or anything, and I am certainly not tech-savvy, as my oldest son will attest to. ;-)). It's this damn original version iPad that constantly defeats me. But I can't afford to upgrade to a newer one right now.

N.

Reply to
Nancy2

If you upgrade your tablet, try a Samsung with Android, sure you would like it. There is a whole new Android update in the works I hear as well.

Reply to
lucretiaborgia

I avoid anything Google-based if at all possible. I just don't trust that vast knowledge-gathering machine.

Reply to
graham

I don't have Alexa or Echo or any of those other devices sitting around my house gathering information. Listening to what I might say. I'm not so lazy I want to have to talk into my television to change the channels. Want your appliances listening to you? I don't need my refrigerator to tell me when I'm running low on milk. Don't need to turn on the washing machine from my phone when I'm out in the car, either.

Jill

Reply to
jmcquown

I completely agree with you here, Jill. The world has gone insane with all the nifty technology these days. I'm really not all that interested in it.

Reply to
Gary

I disagree, they have their uses. I have Echo's and use them basically as super radios. If I wake in the night I can say 'Computer play BBC Radio4' or 'Computer play Australia Broadcasting' - it is endless. I can also say, play some classical music, play popular music from the 60s, whatever. I did dislike using the wake word Alexa so changed it to computer. I admit I don't use it for anything else much, sometimes I do say 'tell me a joke' and you can't believe the jokes it tells :)

Reply to
lucretiaborgia

I find that insufficient utility in exchange for admitting a spy to my home.

My new stove is WiFi enabled. It waits in vain for me to tell it my network password.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Wow! Gotta wonder why your stove would need your wifi password. Ah, gonna sync up. Why? Spying. That's the word for it. Another word is "intrusive". What information would it provide? What you cooked for dinner? What's the point?!

I'm thrilled lucretia doesn't mind. Funny, it wasn't long ago she was talking about the lack of privacy and security on Facebook. Yet she has no problem inviting Amazon echo and whoever else comes with it right into her home. Her choice. I choose not to.

Jill

Reply to
jmcquown

Lol. Biddies and technology.

Reply to
Bruce

This biddie is a software engineer. I don't trust computers. More specifically, I don't trust programmers and their bosses.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton