HELP: stump removal

I've posted several times before on this problem.

I had a black acacia tree ~16 in diameter. I pruned it heavily ~7 yrs ago and it sent up HUNDREDS of root suckers every year. About

1-1/2 years ago I took it down completely, leaving a stump ~10 inches above grade.

More suckers. LOTS of suckers. It's ruined my lawn and garden. Round-up weakens the foliage but won't kill them. I finally used Ortho "Poison ivy & Tough Brush Killer" late last year. It seemed to kill them but we'll see if they come back.

'k, here's the Q: I got a powder stump killer. Directions say to drill 1" holes all over. I got a 1" bit and it won't go in even an inch (wood too hard, even after 1-1/2 yrs). So I tried a 1/2 in bit. After 3 holes to 10 inches it broke off.

Any ideas how to killthis stump and stop the suckers?

Thanks a heap,

-Zz "Zz Yzx" rhymes with "physics"; or " Isaacs" if you prefer.

Zz Yzx

Most plants have as much, or more, living matter below ground as above.

The stump is above ground but all the activity you see is taking place beneath it. I'd wager that the tree has internally sealed off that part of the stump exposed to the outside and any circulation within the remaining tree is taking place well beyond the "scab." You'll have to get your "stump removal" medicine well into the remains of the tree.

The 1" holes are probably your best bet - according to the makers of the stump removal compoud.

If your drill can't handle the torque, it's time for a BIGGER drill, say

1/2". You can such a drill for not much.
Reply to
HeyBub

I often take the tip of my chainsaw to burrow a few trenches into the stump.

Reply to
83LowRider

Google this but years ago I read to drill deep holes and fill with salt. I don't know personally if this works. I'm sure there are chemicals in the nursery to do this sorta stuff. Might want to ask a good nursery in your area what they recommend.

Reply to
Doug

I'm told copper works, too.

Reply to
krw

Dig it out.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Also stump grinders.

Reply to
Frank

Unfortunately I've the same problem. The only solution that worked for me is digging it out.

The easiest way is to hire someone with a backhoe to do it for you. The management of my house did want to pay to have it done so my older son and I dug it out.

Dig a circle about 3 feet (~1 meter) from the center of the stump and cut off every root you find. Then uproot the stump.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

Cliff Hartle

Did you ever hear the expression: "There's a Sucker born every minute"? Now you know why they say that!!!! :)

(And if you happen to own a rooster, keep him away from those suckers, or you know what you'll end up with......)

Reply to
jw

"Doug" wrote in news:pcuai71bka86b3vmalnq8okhg5160t7d1b@

4ax.com:

I do. Worked just fine for me about six years ago to kill a mulberry, after numerous other treatments had failed. However, it wasn't anywhere nearly as large as the OP's acacia (only about 3" diameter, not

16").
Reply to
Doug Miller

Dynamite. Try half a stick first :)

Reply to
dadiOH

As long as you are using ferilizer, may as well just drill a 1 foot deep hole and tamp it full of super-phosphate , soak it with deisel fuel, fasten a fuse, stand well back and light.

Then just shovel the hole full.

Reply to
clare

The one time I took out a stump, I used a Sawzall, and amazing number of Harbor Freight blades. Then, a cable tool "come along" to the back of my van, and keep pulling. had to cut a lot more roots, too. Came out, after a lot of work.

.

Unfortunately I've the same problem. The only solution that worked for me is digging it out.

The easiest way is to hire someone with a backhoe to do it for you. The management of my house did want to pay to have it done so my older son and I dug it out.

Dig a circle about 3 feet (~1 meter) from the center of the stump and cut off every root you find. Then uproot the stump.

Dick

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As to drilling holes. Stumps often have sand, rocks, and other debris mixed in with the wood. Never know, a carbide bit and hammer drill might do the trick. I'll admit, I've not tried.

As others have suggested to saw it out, might need name brand blades, and a sawzall to cut the roots out from under it.

.

[...]

Doesn't that dull the chain, rapidly?

.

I often take the tip of my chainsaw to burrow a few trenches into the stump.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What kind of bit did you use? Have you tried a self-feeding type like one of these?

Larry W

Use a real brush killer like Garlon

Reply to
Pat

I would try everything else before I tried digging. Pulled about 30 feet of old evergreen bushes and a 3" tree. Even with a come-along cabled to a tree, I still had to dig and chop with the bushes. I soaked the ground first, and that just got me mud. Still had to dig and chop. The tree was all digging and chopping. Unless you need the ground right away, like you're putting a swimming pool in there, just cut flush and use the drill and salt. If you can cover the ground with tarp, that might kill off any "blooming." Wish I had done that instead of what I did. Don't know about Acacia though. I had a big Maple cut down, and they ground out the stump. Nothing came back, and what's left of the roots that had broken the surface are dead wood.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Great article reference. Exactly what to do.

It seems the OP's prime problem is either the bit or drill motor that he is using. I've had the best luck when doing this stuff to use a paddle bit at the highest speed possible. Stop and clear chips as required. Buy more than one bit or keep a file handy. I suspect he used a twist bit the first time, though I don't know how he was getting ten inches deep with a regular one. Extra depth on a speed bore requires an extension: type speedbor in google. A ship auger should work well also, but much more expensive.

Reply to
DanG