How deep to make foundation on the Moon

When Newt Gingrich becomes president, I plan to build a house on the moon. I'm making plans now. How deep into the earth should I put the foundation? Errrrr. wait a minute, that should read "How deep into the

*MOON* should I put the foundation"?
Reply to
jw

At least 6 inches below the frost line

Reply to
Bernie Ward

Does it frost on the Moon?

-C-

Reply to
Country

Since by the word frost they mean freezing of water then it would probably have to be at least half a mile down.

Reply to
Molly Brown

I think you should consider using sky hooks. This is in keeping with pie-in-the-sky idea and a baseless foundation.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Good job, just caused me to read one of those scientific papers filled with formulas and lunar landing measurements.

The good news is you can build a basement, there is no flooding so you don't need to build on a slab.

The bad news is that building on or near the surface will kill you there is way too much radiation.

First I tried to get an idea about whether the moon has a radioactive core which would lead to rising temperatures as you dig down.

There's no evidence for a molten interior but some of the landing sites showed surface variation in temperature based on the presence of thorium. That's good because thorium will heat the rocks and the effect increases with depth.

Making some really wild guesses the article estimates that at 60Km the temperature would be 1200C (2000F). That's near the temperature of a lit match. So don't dig that deep.

My guess is that around 3K you'd be getting close to temperatures that humans could survive and farm. So bring a big shovel and plan to dig at least a few kilometers down. You won't really need a traditional foundation, just drive some rebar into the rocks and cement in place.

Even at that depth, the moon won't hold an atmosphere so you're going to need an airtight roof. I'd bring along some of those light pipes where you collect sunlight on the roof and then direct it down to the living area.

Or you could bring a few cases of those 100W incandescents. Then you could maybe did a few inches less deep and forget about seeing the sun.

Don't worry about building codes. It's the moon, anything goes.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Also depends if it's on the American section, or the Russian section of the moon. Russian side requires bribes.

Local code inspector will know how deep is the frost line.

.

Cite???!!! How can you say that? It's up to the Local Authority inspector.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

For years, NASA has been able to do whatever it wants, essentially thumbing it's nose at OSHA. But now, private enterprise will be building and operating spacecraft.

Will corporations be able to build spacecraft that will meet all the ADA and OSHA safety regulations yet still be light enough to climb into orbit?

Reply to
Moe Gasser

Lets see, wheel chair ramps, and handicap accessable toilets (several per rocket) and a fire alarm system with strobes, klaxon, bed shakers. Exit lights with two hour battery back up. Showers with handicap access low threshhold, and.....

Heck, no, the rocket will weigh more than the World Trade Center.

.

Will corporations be able to build spacecraft that will meet all the ADA and OSHA safety regulations yet still be light enough to climb into orbit?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I heard that Obama still would get 40+% of the vote today. Are there that many idiots out there? HE and the rest of the Democrats are directly responsible for gross waste spending (criminal activity if done outside of government), deliberately, it seems, to drive this nation into such poverty that the Great Depression would seem like the best of times! THEY increased spending by over $3 TRILLION in just 2 years on projects that did NOTHING! Let THEM pay for it!

Reply to
Michael Dobony

From what I can figure, yes, there are plenty of people who belive the liberal lines. Class envy, Bush's fault, and so on. Me, well, I can't imagine how anyone can belive the liberal dogma.

.

I heard that Obama still would get 40+% of the vote today. Are there that many idiots out there? HE and the rest of the Democrats are directly responsible for gross waste spending (criminal activity if done outside of government), deliberately, it seems, to drive this nation into such poverty that the Great Depression would seem like the best of times! THEY increased spending by over $3 TRILLION in just 2 years on projects that did NOTHING! Let THEM pay for it!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Anybody who plans to live had better hope it does. Otherwise they're gonna get mighty thirsty.

Reply to
mike

Better plan on bringing some oxygen, also.

.

Anybody who plans to live had better hope it does. Otherwise they're gonna get mighty thirsty.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If you got water, you got oxygen.

Reply to
mike

There are that many on the government dole who don't want the gravy train to end.

Make that $5 Trillion in three years.

How do they line their pockets if they're the only ones paying?

Reply to
krw

I can only guess you're talking about the stimulus package since that's the one Obama signed into law.

Here is a run down of TARP and Stimulus Package money:

Stimulus signed into law 2009

Tarp was signed 2008

You're big boys you can figure it out.

The wars in Iraq and Afganistan?

$1.2T and counting...

I know, I know, It's all the Democrats fault. Never mind Obama actually killed OBL and is winding down both wars. I know, I know. It's all Obama's fault.

Reply to
JimT

Does anyone produce a low aerodynamic drag wheelchair ramp? o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Only if you can separate it from the hydrogen.

.

If you got water, you got oxygen.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I agree. If O was to find a gold mine to papy off the entire debt they would bitch about it.

I am a Repub but had to vote for O last time due to that unbelievably stupid choice for a repub candidate plus his even more stupid choice for a VP.

The way they are killing eachother off, O may be the only on on the ballot. :). Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

+1 ~ Some would bitch he lowered the price of gold.

Romney will pick a safe VP. He won't make the mistake McCain did.

Romney is coming on strong.

Reply to
JimT